Register
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Custom Digidesign Eleven Rack Foot Switch

I jumped on the 11Rack bandwagon last summer (2010) and I have been extremely happy with the product. I play 5150/Soldano amps for the most part but I needed a silent recording option where I was moving for school, and since I have been doing some session guitar work, I figured it would be extremely useful for that as well.

Anyway, I'm not sure how many of you guys also have 11Racks, but I've made a video showing how to build a non-midi footswitch controller for the unit. Thought the DIY'ers and the Eleven Rack owners might find it useful.

Also, I just found out that Avid is going to release an 11Rack upgrade pack in March that adds vocal preamp and bass amp models, as well as more guitar stuff! Let's hope that actually comes out

I should also note that the guitar in the video has one of Scott Fletcher's new Ball Buster Version 2 pickups in it!!

Forgive my playing (it's rather hard when you set out to demo something and NOT play any copyrighted riffs to do so! haha) and the fact that I only used the camera audio for the demo.... hi-quality sound clips of that pickup are soon to follow!
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 01.16.11 at 06:52 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:22 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I came very close to getting an Eleven Rack when I was upgrading from my Pod XT Live at the end of the year. I'd tried one at a Guitar Center in LA and was very impressed. I went with Amplitube 3 with the StealthPedal in the end - I should point out this is for studio use only, I don't gig anymore - and I've been very happy with it so far. I might post some clips soon.

What stopped me buying the 11R was the lack of information from Avid on any prospective upgrades. It almost looked on their forums like they were going to let this product die off. It seems I was wrong on that count if they've announced something.

The other thing, seeing as this was primarily for a home studio, was the way the 11R seemed to be tied to ProTools while I was starting to use Reaper.

Anyway, the 11R I tried sounded great, and I may check it out again in the future.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

That is cool. I've been wondering about the 11 for a while. I currently use a Tonelab le and I'm quite happy with it, it feels and sounds pretty close to a tube amp (I also have a 5150 head and a Traynor tube combo). Does the 11 rack feel like a tube amp? The tonelab is close in feel to a tube amp, real close. I've heard some good samples of the 11, but wondered about it feeling lifeless (I don't use my pod xt for this reason). I'm not dishing out 2k for the axe fx, overkill for what I need. So I've been pondering the 11 for my next purchase...then of course EVH has to release a small box 5150 III, which has me thinking about that too. But if the 11 had the touch response of a tube amp, or something pretty close, that could solve my home studio needs. Do you have any plans to sell that footswitch?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    I came very close to getting an Eleven Rack when I was upgrading from my Pod XT Live at the end of the year. I'd tried one at a Guitar Center in LA and was very impressed. I went with Amplitube 3 with the StealthPedal in the end - I should point out this is for studio use only, I don't gig anymore - and I've been very happy with it so far. I might post some clips soon.

What stopped me buying the 11R was the lack of information from Avid on any prospective upgrades. It almost looked on their forums like they were going to let this product die off. It seems I was wrong on that count if they've announced something.

The other thing, seeing as this was primarily for a home studio, was the way the 11R seemed to be tied to ProTools while I was starting to use Reaper.

Anyway, the 11R I tried sounded great, and I may check it out again in the future.
    Ya, the same things worried me about future upgrades... which is why I'm so happy that they've announced one! Anyway, I believe they are releasing generic audio drivers for all of the current Pro Tools hardware now as well, so you can use it with other software besides Pro Tools. That's why this latest move to Pro Tools 9 is so revolutionary. If they would release that and release a stand alone editor on your computer without having to start Pro Tools, I think the 11 Rack would become fully compatible with most software.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    That is cool. I've been wondering about the 11 for a while. I currently use a Tonelab le and I'm quite happy with it, it feels and sounds pretty close to a tube amp (I also have a 5150 head and a Traynor tube combo). Does the 11 rack feel like a tube amp? The tonelab is close in feel to a tube amp, real close. I've heard some good samples of the 11, but wondered about it feeling lifeless (I don't use my pod xt for this reason). I'm not dishing out 2k for the axe fx, overkill for what I need. So I've been pondering the 11 for my next purchase...then of course EVH has to release a small box 5150 III, which has me thinking about that too. But if the 11 had the touch response of a tube amp, or something pretty close, that could solve my home studio needs. Do you have any plans to sell that footswitch?
    The Eleven Rack is the closest thing in feel to a tube amp I've ever played. I played a Pod XT Pro, as well as an older Rocktron modelling amp at a session job I had early in 2010, and I wasn't very impressed. I've also played a lot of digitech stuff, and while I like their effects, the amp models just aren't very good. I've never played a purely software modeller that felt anywhere near real.

But the Eleven Rack is VERY close. I would imagine the only thing that could compete with it or maybe surpass it is the Axe FX or maybe that new Rocktron Prophesy 2... both of which are way more $$$.

I don't really plan to sell those footswitches in bulk, but if you need a similar custom one in the future, I'd be willing to build a few. Most standard 2 button footswitches will work with the eleven rack -- but I wanted to combine other functions into one box with my particular rig.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    The Eleven Rack is the closest thing in feel to a tube amp I've ever played. I played a Pod XT Pro, as well as an older Rocktron modelling amp at a session job I had early in 2010, and I wasn't very impressed. I've also played a lot of digitech stuff, and while I like their effects, the amp models just aren't very good. I've never played a purely software modeller that felt anywhere near real.

But the Eleven Rack is VERY close. I would imagine the only thing that could compete with it or maybe surpass it is the Axe FX or maybe that new Rocktron Prophesy 2... both of which are way more $$$.

I don't really plan to sell those footswitches in bulk, but if you need a similar custom one in the future, I'd be willing to build a few. Most standard 2 button footswitches will work with the eleven rack -- but I wanted to combine other functions into one box with my particular rig.
    I (as you know) own a Fractal Axe Fx Ultra and the Atomic Powered Wedges and i can say it is utterly incredible, it's almost like having every tube amp ever made right there at your feet, plus the FX are stunning and the firmware upgrades are pretty constant so it's always up to date and has the latest software...the biggest problems are: The price!...you pay A LOT so i would only recomend the axe fx if you are using it regularly either live, or recording, and, man its complicated to program!...the instruction manual is thicker than war and peace and you HAVE to read everything before pressing a single button!
    the 11 Rack is perfect if you don't want to spend loads of money on the Fractal and the operation is much simpler, and it sounds great, another advantage is the footswitch o the 11 Rack isn't Midi so it's possible (like you did) to build your own in an hour or so, my floorboard for the Fractal cost me 450 and i still only understand about 1/2 of it!...lmao
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I like simple. My mxr phase 90 is my favourite pedal because it has one knob. If my EVH flanger didn't have the unchained switch, I'd never use because it has 4 knobs and I'd get frustrated. I don't like delay pedals that have all kinds of knobs and options. Seriously, it took a while for me to get my head around my tonelab le. I like tube amps because you twist a few knobs and get your sound, twist a few more a few days later after your ears have adjusted, and you are usually good. I don't use eq pedals with any of my gear for the same reason. From what I can tell, the 11 rack is simple, so I'm interested.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    I (as you know) own a Fractal Axe Fx Ultra and the Atomic Powered Wedges and i can say it is utterly incredible, it's almost like having every tube amp ever made right there at your feet, plus the FX are stunning and the firmware upgrades are pretty constant so it's always up to date and has the latest software...the biggest problems are: The price!...you pay A LOT so i would only recomend the axe fx if you are using it regularly either live, or recording, and, man its complicated to program!...the instruction manual is thicker than war and peace and you HAVE to read everything before pressing a single button!
    the 11 Rack is perfect if you don't want to spend loads of money on the Fractal and the operation is much simpler, and it sounds great, another advantage is the footswitch o the 11 Rack isn't Midi so it's possible (like you did) to build your own in an hour or so, my floorboard for the Fractal cost me 450 and i still only understand about 1/2 of it!...lmao
    Yep! I still need to play one, but I would think the Axe FX would sound at least maybe a little better given the price. But you are correct -- the 11 Rack sounds amazing and it is extremely easy to operate. I really like how they made the interface on the unit and on the computer.

As for the footswitch options on the 11rack, you can use either a 2 button footswitch like I built, or an expression pedal in combination with full midi control.

At some point I will try to build a ridiculously massive rig using my current gear where I will use my Digitech 2120's midi capability to control the Elevenrack as well as its own effects controls... so then I'll have a full wet/dry/wet rig using my 5150 and Soldano like custom amp switched in and out as my main tone, with the option to route the 11 Rack models thru the 2120 for effects in a stereo configuration for a whole additional amount of tones.... hehehehe

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I read that the 11R update was going to cost $100. I would hate to buy it, then have to pay for updates.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kissmyace View Post
    I read that the 11R update was going to cost $100. I would hate to buy it, then have to pay for updates.
    I wish it was a free update too, but I'll be the first in line to buy it....

The eleven rack is great AS IS, but it has so much capability. This upgrade pack is the first step in that direction. For people like me that use it in pro tools, the upgrade pack REALLY opens some doors.