Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 101
  1. #1
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,084
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

    Default Money for Nothing’ too offensive for Canada

    i might have to move.

    ‘Money for Nothing’ too offensive for Canada
    The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has ruled that Dire Straits’ 1980s hit Money for Nothing is too offensive for Canadian radio.

    The ruling, released Wednesday, was in response to a complaint against St. John’s radio station CHOZ-FM. The listener complained that the word faggot – which appears three times in the song is “extremely offensive” to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

    The council is an independent body created by Canadian radio and television broadcasters to review the standards of their content.

    The award-winning song was the first single off of Dire Straits’ album Brothers in Arms and has been an international music staple for 25 years.

    The council ruled that the song contravenes its ethics code which states: “broadcasters shall ensure that their programming contains no abusive or unduly discriminatory material or comment which is based on matters of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability.”

    It ruled that “faggot,” when used to describe a homosexual, is “even if entirely or marginally acceptable in earlier days, is no longer so.”

    Offending Lyrics from Money for Nothing, by Dire Straits:

    The little faggot with the earring and the makeup

    Yeah, buddy, that’s his own hair

    That little faggot’s got his own jet airplane

    That little faggot, he’s a millionaire

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk Lodewijk's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.15.03
    Age
    47
    Location
    Spring, TX.
    Posts
    13,543
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

    05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Wow.....just wow.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    hahaha...I'm surprised this hasn't come up before. Even back, then and still to this day, whenever it gets to that part of the song I laugh.

    I can only think of one other time when a major song by a major artist rolled out with "faggot."

    You guys remember that Guns and Roses song right? What was the lyric? "Immigrants and faggots...I can't figure them out."

    Something like that...he also rolled out with ******s in that tune too.

    At least with GNR that shit hit the fan before the record even hit, if I remember correctly...not 30 years later. hahahahah...
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

  4. #4
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,084
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    hahaha...I'm surprised this hasn't come up before. Even back, then and still to this day, whenever it gets to that part of the song I laugh.

    I can only think of one other time when a major song by a major artist rolled out with "faggot."

    You guys remember that Guns and Roses song right? What was the lyric? "Immigrants and faggots...I can't figure them out."

    Something like that...he also rolled out with ******s in that tune too.

    At least with GNR that shit hit the fan before the record even hit, if I remember correctly...not 30 years later. hahahahah...
    One in a Million is the song you're referencing i believe - that wasn't even released as a single though i don't think

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    One in a Million is the song you're referencing i believe - that wasn't even released as a single though i don't think
    Yeah One in a Million. I was actually listening to that over the weekend. I was at some friends' house with The Wife and they put Lies on...when it got to that song I nearly spit my tequilla out. It had been a couple years since I even thought about that tune.
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

  6. #6
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,084
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

    Default

    i can understand why someone wouldn't like that word on the air - i get it. But one of the biggest problems (actually probably the biggest we have up here) is the overwhelming need for people to want government to stop anything that might offend them the littlest bit. I don't have a problem with gov't stopping for really offensive and purely stupid stuff (see my opinion on Westboro) but the bar has to be set a little bit higher than a 30 year old Dire Straits song (that if not for the video probably never becomes a hit anyways).

    We are too fast to create govt agencies that do nothing but waste time (and more importantly money) looking at nothing issues. We then don't have that money to look at really important issues. Kids with autism can't get the government to pay for their treatment in Ontario yet we have money to spend creating an agency to waste time looking at Dire Straits tunes. Such a pissoff. Our priorities are so screwed sometimes.

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i can understand why someone wouldn't like that word on the air - i get it. But one of the biggest problems (actually probably the biggest we have up here) is the overwhelming need for people to want government to stop anything that might offend them the littlest bit. I don't have a problem with gov't stopping for really offensive and purely stupid stuff (see my opinion on Westboro) but the bar has to be set a little bit higher than a 30 year old Dire Straits song (that if not for the video probably never becomes a hit anyways).

    We are too fast to create govt agencies that do nothing but waste time (and more importantly money) looking at nothing issues. We then don't have that money to look at really important issues. Kids with autism can't get the government to pay for their treatment in Ontario yet we have money to spend creating an agency to waste time looking at Dire Straits tunes. Such a pissoff. Our priorities are so screwed sometimes.
    Wait...guys, someone check the IP address on this post. I think someone hacked Mike's account.

    There's no way.....no way...that this post could come from his mouth.

    Mike calling for LESS government intervention and LESS censorship?!

    Couldn't be.
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

  8. #8
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,084
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Wait...guys, someone check the IP address on this post. I think someone hacked Mike's account.

    There's no way.....no way...that this post could come from his mouth.

    Mike calling for LESS government intervention and LESS censorship?!

    Couldn't be.


    nahh, it's all about perspective. I've always been for government being involved in fewer things but to spend more money in those fewer things. I don't mind high taxes but if your kid is born with some terrible disease than our government better have money kicking around to help you in any way that you need. Instead we blow cash on stupid stuff and can't help.

    And my censorship takes are usually in regards to US issues where i don't think there's enough of it. Up here we go a little too far the other way.

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post


    nahh, it's all about perspective. I've always been for government being involved in fewer things but to spend more money in those fewer things. I don't mind high taxes but if your kid is born with some terrible disease than our government better have money kicking around to help you in any way that you need. Instead we blow cash on stupid stuff and can't help.

    And my censorship takes are usually in regards to US issues where i don't think there's enough of it. Up here we go a little too far the other way.
    couldn't have said it better if I tried.
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk Lodewijk's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.15.03
    Age
    47
    Location
    Spring, TX.
    Posts
    13,543
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

    05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post


    nahh, it's all about perspective. I've always been for government being involved in fewer things but to spend more money in those fewer things. I don't mind high taxes but if your kid is born with some terrible disease than our government better have money kicking around to help you in any way that you need. Instead we blow cash on stupid stuff and can't help.

    And my censorship takes are usually in regards to US issues where i don't think there's enough of it. Up here we go a little too far the other way.


    You did sound almost American there for a minute......shame on you.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

  11. #11
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,084
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
    You did sound almost American there for a minute......shame on you.

  12. #12
    Outta Space Cowboy Scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.02
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    11,022
    Favorite VH Album

    VH I
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Likes
    245
    Liked 593 Times in 364 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Mike, you need to move.

  13. #13
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,084
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Mike, you need to move.
    you know any quiet towns that might welcome us? preferably in a nice state like Virginia.

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk LLFHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.04
    Location
    Secret Witness Protection Location
    Posts
    31,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

    Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

    07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Likes
    34
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    This just in.....

    Mark Knopfler has decided to re-record the offending verse of the song, replacing "faggot" with "hoser".
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

    [sigpic][/sigpic]


    Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

  15. #15
    Eruption
    Join Date
    10.15.05
    Age
    46
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI
    Posts
    1,144
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:10 PM
    Likes
    140
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

    Default




 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09.18.09, 10:33 AM
  2. American Flag = Offensive...
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06.16.09, 10:23 AM
  3. Three Pigs Story Judged 'Offensive to Muslims'
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 01.26.08, 08:42 AM
  4. 'PorkChop' Is Deemed Offensive
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 12.09.07, 12:01 AM
  5. Santas warned 'ho ho ho' offensive to women
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11.15.07, 06:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •