Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Default RIP Gerry Rafferty

This guy had more than his share of demons. Hope he gets some peace now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...y-dies-aged-63
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Last Online

11.14.12 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Sad news indeed. City to City is still one of my favorite albums....yes albums.
    yeah.......i'm still here.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Very sad. I'm happy he died peacefully.

I don't know him for much more than "Stuck In The Middle With You" and "Baker Street" - both of which are excellent songs - and I have strong memories tied to both:
    -"StuckITMWY"...we got a new band teacher for my junior year. I was bummed out because I really liked our previous band teacher and I missed him; it just wasn't gonna be the same, you know? One day after school, I walk by the band room on the way to the bus and I hear "Stuck..." blaring from the band room. He and two of his kids were throwing down a jam with just drums, keys, and guitar. I popped on in, grabbed the bass, and we threw down a great jam. Played a really hot version of it for about 10 minutes. It was a great way to bond with the new guy and his kids.
    -"Baker Street"...when I hear this, it reminds me of growing up in Lake Havasu City, AZ, which at that time was a veritable heaven-on-earth (before MTV Spring Break showed up and messed up the place for good). That song just takes me back every time. The sax riff is one-in-a-million. I love how it just takes off.

Anyway...rest in peace, Gerry. Thanks for the music.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love Baker Street, takes me back to my summer between 10th and 11th grade and hanging out at Livco pool all summer. RIP
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

RIP...

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

From The Lefsetz Letter blog, by Bob Lefsetz:

Maybe he'll get it right next time.

You had to buy "City to City". For "Baker Street".

Famous for Raphael Ravenscroft's solo, that was not the song's only magic. Starting like a sunrise, evidencing the hope that only music can exude, "Baker Street" is as good as any movie ever made, yet it's a record.

That's the power of music.

And as happy as the music sounds, that's not how the lyrics start out...

"You used to think that it was so easy
    You used to think that it was so easy
    But you're tryin'
    You're tryin' now"

Isn't that what growing up is about. At twenty you know everything, as the decades pass, you realize you know nothing. You were confident once, now you're not so sure... But you keep on tryin', until you start cryin'.

If you haven't been at loose ends by time you're fifty, you're doing it wrong. You just haven't taken enough chances, you just haven't risked. And how these twentysomething artists could get it so right, be so worldly in their younger years, I don't know. Then again, after flashes of genius, so many burned out. Or knowing so much, burning so bright, they flamed out, into alcoholism. Like Gerry Rafferty.

Then again, that was his father's legacy. Alcohol. It's hard to escape where you come from, especially when you're unwanted and the only hope and inspiration comes from yourself.

But "Baker Street" ends on an optimistic note.

First there's the conversation:

"Way down the street there's a light in his place
    He opens the door, he's got that look on his face
    And he asks you where you've been
    You tell him who you've seen
    And you talk about anything"

We call this friendship. We're looking for the one true buddy who knows us, who accepts us, but isn't afraid to call us on our bullshit.

"He's got this dream about buyin' some land
    He's gonna give up the booze and the one night stands
    And then he'll settle down in some quiet little town
    And forget about everything"

Is this Gerry's story?

Unlike today, Gerry Rafferty's career didn't begin with "Baker Street". The gigantic hit came years down the line. After paying his dues, endless nights on the road...when you've worked this hard, you're shocked to finally break through. And then what? How do you cope with everything you've dreamed of once you've given up on it occurring?

If you think Gerry Rafferty was a one hit wonder, you've never heard "Stuck In The Middle With You". Which seems even more popular than his ubiquitous solo hit today.

But that solo hit was so good, Rafferty's sound so rich, that I continued to buy album after album, because when Gerry got it right, there was a richness to the sound and the lyrics that embodied humanity...Rafferty's aural dope was of such quality, it could never be denied, we were always searching for one more hit.

But no more.

Have you listened to "As Wise As A Serpent"?

"Now you once asked me why we can't communicate
    But it doesn't always pay to tell the truth
    If I told you right now, you'd only run away
    Run away, run away home"

Trust is gone.

That's a horrible place to be. I'm working my way back from it. My ex-wife obliterated my faith in people. You say to never leave, then you leave me?

"So we sit in empty rooms and dream our lives away"

That's what's gone from today's hit music. The despair.

You can sleepwalk through life. You can take no chances, play by the rules. But the only fun, the only thrill comes from coloring outside the lines. But with this risk not only comes reward, but disappointment, ennui, desperation and depression.

You hear all of this in Gerry Rafferty's tunes. No words can convey these feelings as well as these songs. That's the power of music.

It took me years to find all of "Sleepwalking" online. I had the vinyl, I needed MP3s, that I could take with me. Because our music, it's our most valuable possession, nothing else we own can be a companion and touch our hearts just so.

I was waiting, I was waiting...for the day I heard from Gerry Rafferty. I wrote again and again, about how much his music touched me, how it reflected my life, how I felt the solidarity.

It never happened.

And now it never will.

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

"Baker Street" takes me back to the days of lounging around at the public pool too!

of course the 'other song' was pretty sweet!
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Really nice voice - too bad radio couldn't find a few more songs to play.

I think the one time I did "Baker Street" at karaoke I was slightly inebriated!

Rest in Peace, Gerry, may your demons have fled.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by hain23x View Post
    "Baker Street" takes me back to the days of lounging around at the public pool too!

of course the 'other song' was pretty sweet!
    Oh, man...I forgot about that one! Yes, that is a great song, too. Brings back some memories. Thanks for posting, hain!