VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default Xavier Guitars from GFS

most of you guys know that i HATE Les Pauls, the reasons are mainly down to the weight and the fact they're overpriced for such an antiquated instrument and when it comes to modifying them, theres not really many simple options. But recently i have been wanting one, more for the 'vibe' than anything else, because, lets face it, they look pretty cool played low slung and bashing out bluesy bar rock and sound pretty good too. but i wasn't willing to pay £2000+ for a U.S.A Gibson or even £600 for a 'decent' Epiphone. i had been looking around for a while and was considering a Tokai or a Patrick Kelly Patriot, but i got chatting to MRJ on Facebook and he drew my attention to the Xavier line of guitars offered by guitarfetish.com.
    The one i have been looking at is the XV599 aged lemondrop...

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-599-Q...sh_p_2228.html

even with shipping and import duty it works out at £230 U.K. which can't be beaten in my mind.

I was wondering if anyone round here has any opinions/experience with Xavier guitars, as i trust my guitar room buddies. I have seen some positive reviews on mylespaul.com and elsewhere, but i trust you guys above some of the others.

Tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've *heard* that those are just ok...you might want to consider the Agile brand from rondomusic.com. I havent looked at the prices recently, but I believe they might be just a bit more expensive compared to xavier but with better quality.

My buddy has an Agile AL-3100 and its a great guitar. I've never played an xavier.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just purchased the tobacco burst one over the weekend. I think they look fantastic! If you don't like the pickups, just switch them out. (duh). I'm just waiting for mine to come.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VF5150 View Post
    I've *heard* that those are just ok...you might want to consider the Agile brand from rondomusic.com. I havent looked at the prices recently, but I believe they might be just a bit more expensive compared to xavier but with better quality.

My buddy has an Agile AL-3100 and its a great guitar. I've never played an xavier.
    just had a look at them, they also seem ok, i still have more hunting around to do...an old member here (AL3D, for those who remember him) has suggested i go for a Gibson '59 reissue, but i have a problem with paying that much for a guitar that i'm probably not going to play all that often, hence why i'm going cheap!..lol

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Frankenstrat View Post
    I just purchased the tobacco burst one over the weekend. I think they look fantastic! If you don't like the pickups, just switch them out. (duh). I'm just waiting for mine to come.
    my intention is to swap the pups for Pearly Gates anyway and change the tuners, as for anything else, i really don't mind paying out for a solid mahog/maple guitar and doing upgrades at this price point

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    my intention is to swap the pups for Pearly Gates anyway and change the tuners, as for anything else, i really don't mind paying out for a solid mahog/maple guitar and doing upgrades at this price point
    When I say the Xavier stuff is good, I'm comparing it to all other similar guitars I've played. It's not 'good for a budget guitar' or 'good for an import'. Their stuff is just good period. Seriously. I own a Xavier strat. I got the thing on sale as a 'blem' model. It cost me about $130, including a replacement pickguard and shipping (I wanted a black pickguard instead of a white one). When I got it, I never could find any blems on it. Was it set up really well? Not particularly. Does the overall looks and finish of a guitar look like a $2000 strat? Not quite, when you get close enough. But I spent about 30 minutes going over the whole guitar, setting it up and adjusting things, and replacing the pickguard. It now plays better than ANY traditional strat I've ever played in any store. I've only played one strat EVER that played as nice. I was amazed at how straight the neck was, allowing me to get super low action without any buzzing. The tone is comparable to a newer stock Fender. It cannot be beat for $150.... or $300... or maybe $550.

I've also dealt with 2 Xavier Les Pauls (the older models). Both were very nice playing guitars, and honestly I've seen Gibsons with more finishing flaws. These looked fantastic. Real mahogany body/neck and 3/4" maple cap too.

Don't swap those pickups right away either.... the GFS Crunchy Pats are really nice 'les paul sounding' pickups. I even put a set in a custom guitar for a friend and he uses them against his Burstbucker 3's loaded Gibson LP and thinks they are pretty comparable.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:59 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

Hey Tom, I can give you a couple more suggestions as well....I am a Les Paul guy (so I guess we'll agree to disagree!!) and I do spend some time on LP forums, which has a section called Other Les Pauls, basically not Gibsons. Some good choices would be Burny, Greco & Edwards (made by ESP). As far as weight goes, I'm sure each manufacturer makes models that are of a lighter weight. I currently have 3 Les Pauls and they vary from 8 lbs to about 10 lbs...good luck with your search..
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you live in England, your best bet is to get a "Vintage", from Digital Village. dv247.com, I think.

According to reviews from guys near my area, those are really bang for the buck. Have you check them?

Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got the tobacco burst yesterday, but I completely forgot how to post pics.

Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's a test of the guitar. It was made for Tom here but it gives you an idea. I apologize for my playing in advance.
    Last edited by 5150 Frankenstrat; 01.07.11 at 09:00 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'd be curious to see the inside of the control cavity on one of the Xaviere guitars.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    I'd be curious to see the inside of the control cavity on one of the Xaviere guitars.
    Just had a look inside this guitar yesterday. Looks pretty much like a Epiphone or Gibson inside -- but with less extra wire hanging all over the place. No shielding that I could see, but it's soldered well/neatly and has full sized Alpha pots.

Overall I was pretty impressed.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

the more i have seen, heard and read about these guitars the better they are sounding as a purchase...i will be ordering the aged Lemon Drop 599 on Monday...pics and a review will follow, i may even make a video like Mike did.

And thanks for the video Mike, i greatly appreciate you taking the time to do that for me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 AM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

Looks and sounds pretty good for the price. My first electric was an '86 Epiphone Les Paul, and I think it was like $500 brand new...looks and sounds very similiar to the Xavier, for like double the price.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post