Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 741 Times in 408 Posts

Premium Member

Default Sigh...

So,

When I first joined the boards way, way back when - the main section was always the first place I went to, followed by rumours and speculation (ya, I've been here that long). I would wait for my dial up modem to load the site - in hopes that I'd catch something, anything for news on the once mighty Van Halen. Glimmers of hope would appear in the form of a false reunion w/ Dave...a flatline Van Halen III (which I was actually cautiously optimistic about as Gary is fantastic), a 2004 VH reunion and finally Dave entering the fold again....so, over 15 years or so, we've had 4 'major' events in Van Halen updates.

Today when I logged on, I checked out music by other bands, non-music thread, Chickenfoot and saw that someone updated pic's from the past so I checked that out. Translation, I don't even come here for Van Halen anymore?! I guess this is a testiment to what a great site Brett runs - however it's also a cold reminder of what a joke Van Halen is.

Sure, we have a fan who met Dave who cryptically hinted that something might be coming; reality is that it's (if it happens) likely another cash-grab tour likely with a re-re-re-release of a Greatest Hits CD featuring maybe 3 new songs.

I remember reading an interview with Ed saying that he was about progression in music - hinting that he didn't want to be on-stage playing / relying on Jump every night (very Jagger in that sense I guess)...however, it seems that if they do anything - it's pure nostalgia and an absolute cash grab - followed by an indifferenet silence that sounds like them saying 'suck it up - we're playing with Dave now, what more do you want...also, you should buy the latest shoes / video game / guitar'. The last nostalgia tour was 2007...3 and a bit years ago...the last formal message from Van Halen was what - New Years 2009?!

I was frustrated - more by the sense that I want to hear what the boys can do in the studio / partly because I'm getting pretty bored listening to the same songs - but now all I feel is a bit of pitty towards them. These were guys that were 'THE COOLEST' bastards in the world; now they're the butt of a joke. Such a shame.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I guess this is a testiment to what a great site Brett runs.
    Brett needs to STFU.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

In all seriousness...I agree with you, Scott. I still go to the Links every day, but I do the same thing you do: go to the Funny Pics thread, check out the non-VH Music forum, etc. I will say I have been keeping tabs on the VH Main lately because of the VHND Rumor Update thread.

Sure, VH doesn't owe us anything, but some "scraps from the master's table" sure would be nice. C'mon, guys: please let us know what you're doing!
    Last edited by Metal Marc; 01.04.11 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Too many occurrences of the phrase 'douche nozzle' in my post

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

I don't know this Van Halen you are speaking of.

I come here for the Beautiful Girls thread since VHLinks it isn't blocked at work!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

I hear where your coming from Scott. The first place I check out now is the non-music forum, then the music forum and then the VH Main forum.

As far as VH being a joke though I have to disagree. Maybe to the select few hear who believe that but I would say to a majority of the rock music listening public VH is still just VH. Case in point, I had a couple of contractors in my home last week for a few days. They noticed my license plate on my truck, VANHLN and we got on the subject of VH. Later that day after returning from their lunch break they asked if VH came out with a new record. I said no, and asked why they ask and they said they thought they heard a new song, something called Mine all Mine. I got a chuckle and said no that song came out in 88. They had no clue. These were not idiots either, they go to shows frequently and have attended alot of the same shows I have. On top of that I have had similar experiences over the past few months at different parties and functions.

It is kind of sad that we no longer come here to see what is happening with Vh but you do have to admit, when something does eventually happen this will be the first place we all read about it.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t decide - I love them all
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

11.10.14 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't post much on here, but I'm in the same position. I used to come here to look for VH news and everything else was secondary. Heck, I even got written up at the job I had 10 years ago because I was spending to much time here and on the Pleasure Dome on the VH site. But now I'm mostly here reading the non-music forum and Chickenfoot forum. A lot of times I don't even know about the latest VH "news" until a friend will send me a text message and then I get on here to read.
    Face Down in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

[QUOTE=Scott;1320351]So,

When I first joined the boards way, way back when - the main section was always the first place I went to, followed by rumours and speculation (ya, I've been here that long). I would wait for my dial up modem to load the site - in hopes that I'd catch something, anything for news on the once mighty Van Halen. Glimmers of hope would appear in the form of a false reunion w/ Dave...a flatline Van Halen III (which I was actually cautiously optimistic about as Gary is fantastic), a 2004 VH reunion and finally Dave entering the fold again....so, over 15 years or so, we've had 4 'major' events in Van Halen updates.

Yep, I hear all that.

Today when I logged on, I checked out music by other bands, non-music thread, Chickenfoot and saw that someone updated pic's from the past so I checked that out. Translation, I don't even come here for Van Halen anymore?! I guess this is a testiment to what a great site Brett runs - however it's also a cold reminder of what a joke Van Halen is.

I still come here everyday with the very bottom of my heart using it's peripheral vision to look glancingly at the main forum for something.

Sure, we have a fan who met Dave who cryptically hinted that something might be coming; reality is that it's (if it happens) likely another cash-grab tour likely with a re-re-re-release of a Greatest Hits CD featuring maybe 3 new songs.

Still really think it'll be something more than that.

I remember reading an interview with Ed saying that he was about progression in music - hinting that he didn't want to be on-stage playing / relying on Jump every night (very Jagger in that sense I guess)...however, it seems that if they do anything - it's pure nostalgia and an absolute cash grab - followed by an indifferenet silence that sounds like them saying 'suck it up - we're playing with Dave now, what more do you want...also, you should buy the latest shoes / video game / guitar'. The last nostalgia tour was 2007...3 and a bit years ago...the last formal message from Van Halen was what - New Years 2009?!

To be slightly fair the last show was in mid 2008 and "Ed" did tweet last week that he'd see us soon.

I was frustrated - more by the sense that I want to hear what the boys can do in the studio / partly because I'm getting pretty bored listening to the same songs - but now all I feel is a bit of pitty towards them. These were guys that were 'THE COOLEST' bastards in the world; now they're the butt of a joke. Such a shame.

I really think that it's only us here who think they're a joke. My 19 year old niece who likes all that shit they call music nowadays, would freak (in a good way) if I gave her the choice to hear a new VH song over a new GaGa song. But then again I force fed her VH. She actually stole my first copy of GHV1.
    Anyway, point is that people are WAY too distracted now to care about making fun of VH. It IS a shame however, that we're accustomed to the jokes. At this point frustration breeds comic relief (well sometimes)
    Last edited by sinner's swing; 01.04.11 at 08:17 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:11 PM
    Liked 1,973 Times in 1,369 Posts

1st stop is the sports forum. Then maybe non-vh music.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Scott, I think that is a common trend amongst most of us Linkers. Obviously we come here for VH, but since they've been mostly dormant, we spend most of our time in "Non."

...hopefully the "Main" section will be heating up again soon with some new music supposedly heading our way. But, we've all been duped before. So until there is some concrete information, I'll be chatting about sports, miscellaneous stuff and other bands.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

[QUOTE=sinner's swing;1320376]
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    So,
    I really think that it's only us here who think they're a joke.

Anyway, point is that people are WAY too distracted now to care about making fun of VH.
    Aw, come on, we all saw Zombieland, didn't we? Somebody wasn't too distracted.

Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1,611 Times in 992 Posts

Donor

There's always enough time to make fun of VH.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    1st stop is the sports forum. Then maybe non-vh music.
    I think that is the first time I've seen a post of yours somewhere other than Play Ball or the Music Forum.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

You think that's bad, there could be a huge announcement of some kind and I wouldn't even know about it for a week. That's how often I check the Main forum.....and I'm a site admin!!

Hey, bright side though, at least we don't have to wait on that fucking dial up modem anymore!

Worse thing about that was, during that time of dial up, napster was the big thing and that's when I was in to bootlegs.....hundreds of wasted hours watching blue bars get bigger...on dial up.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    Brett needs to STFU.
    LMAO!
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I stopped paying attention to VH many years ago. Its the same thing over and over - rumors, speculation - Nothing!

I didnt know that VH and Dave might be recording an album until one of the mods mentioned something about in the mod room.

The Merry Christmas and Happy New Year twitter thingy from Ed cracks me up. Does anyone honestly think he decided to do that or even knows it was posted? It was his wife/PR person. Who knows maybe it sold a few more VH ties.

VH missed the boat years ago to keep them relevant in the current music industry.

I doubt we will see a entire album of new music. If VH does release new music my guess is it will be a few songs on another greatest hits type thing. LAME!!

If they tour again I wont go just like I didnt that last tour, canning Mike for a teenage boy was the last straw for me.

I spend 95% of my time in Non music and sports, I pop into VH Main to make a crack or a random post every few weeks.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.