Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.25.11 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Trem Claw mounting

Hi all.

I built a Franky replica last fall with a little help from Ron (of Ron's custom guitars). I used a Musikraft body and neck.

I noticed that nearly every Fender Frankenstein guitar has the trem claw either right up against the body or almost right up against the body. And they use 3 springs.

My guitar has three springs on it, but if I want it to be set up right, the trem claw is almost 3/4 of an inch away from the body.

I understand that the trem needs to be set up the right way, but having it screwed in closer to the body seems more consistent with the other replicas I've seen.

Are there tricks or something that can help in in this situation? I mean, are there springs out there with less tension? I just find it curious that Fender's replicas have three springs and the claw is right up against the body. I have to believe there is a way for me to do the same thing.

Thanks for your help.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

dude, you're really splitting hairs, it doesn't really matter if it looks the same as the replica as long as the setup is correct and to your liking. it's all about balancing the tension of the strings versus the tension of the springs, there are other types of spring out there and other patterns of placing the springs and different gauge strings, which will all make 'some' difference. but at the end of the day, as long as it plays right and stays in tune, then it doesn't matter as these things vary from guitar to guitar.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    dude, you're really splitting hairs, it doesn't really matter if it looks the same as the replica as long as the setup is correct and to your liking. it's all about balancing the tension of the strings versus the tension of the springs, there are other types of spring out there and other patterns of placing the springs and different gauge strings, which will all make 'some' difference. but at the end of the day, as long as it plays right and stays in tune, then it doesn't matter as these things vary from guitar to guitar.
    Amen.
    WGAF?!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

exactly. Remember that the "Official Fender Replica" was copied from that certain point in time when upon submittal his springs and trem claw were simply set up that way for whatever reason. There are all kinds of springs out there. Some really weak, some really stiff. Take a look at other old pics of the Frankenstein with the Floyd and you've seen 3 springs straight, 3 springs with the two outer in the V with one straight in the center, and even just two springs like he used mainly on the 5150.
    If you were reading somewhere that Eddie used this setup with one spring end moved inboard for a specific purpose in terms of tone, don't buy the hype. Nothing against Eddie, but I read that too and got a chuckle out of it. My guess is he simply had weaker springs in the guitar, and the claw was pretty much maxed out, so to keep the tension balance fairly close and not have the trem lift every time he bent, he moved one of the spring ends inboard and that just improved the tension enough. Just what ANYONE would do messing around with setup.

Just enjoy your Frankenstein, and have comfort in knowing that at some point in it's long evolving history, you probably have the exact same spring/trem claw setup as Eddie did! LOL.
    Keep on rockin'!
    JJ

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.25.11 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks. I really didn't know that there were springs with different tensions. And I would guess that if they can replicate a guitar with 30 years of use, they can find a way to stretch a spring.