Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Audio recording interface

Hey guys, I am looking for some sort of recording hardware and software to record audio into a computer, but don't really know what I need. I am wanting to sing along with songs and record my voice onto a computer I have set up. What hardware and software do I need to do this? I don't have a good voice, just something I want to play around with! I hunted around musiciansfriend, but wasnt sure what to look for. Thanks for the info!
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,189 Times in 8,988 Posts

There was a thread about two years ago when I started recording, and there was a lot of talk about it.

I use two things.

I record into a Tascam DP-02 which I think run about $300 on sale and then I use Guitar Tracks for mixing.

It has worked pretty well. Both have learning curves.

Also, my local recording studio is giving an all day class on home recording for $199 and I am going to that to try and do it better. The have a class every month.

Might not be relevant to what you are asking, but maybe one of your local studios has something as well and you might be able to get some good information from it.

There are also all kinds of guides on the internet, and I believe there is even a website totally dedicated to home recording. It, along with guys on here like Brett, MrJ, Broken and many others, can help you make things sound better.

All you need for proof is my first mp3 I posted compared to the last.

I still suck as a player and singer, but the capturing of that suckitude was much better later on!

Lots of great guys on here that can help you much better than I can.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

05.31.12 @ 11:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are probably more choices out there than one can easily summarize, and opinions on what is best is going to vary based on the experience of that person offering his/her opinion.

If you are of minimal audio production skills, I would probably try and find a set up that isn't too technologically challenging, otherwise it will just get in the way of what you ultimately want to do.

I would recommend something like this:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...1&src=3LTSWXX1

$300, you get a 4-track digital recorder, a mic and stand, a pair of speakers to listen to what you are doing. You could easily put a stereo track onto two tracks, voice on another separate track. This unit allows you to bounce tracks, meaning you can mix three tracks down to 1, which allows you to free up those tracks for more stuff. Same thinking as the old analog Porta Studios. Unit has USB out, so you can easily get stuff to your computer.

As far as anything computer based, your computer should have a mic/line input on it, so the need for an external USB or Firewire interface isn't needed, though I prefer to use one. I went with Presonus' USB Audio Box, which are relatively inexpensive, believe it ships with recording software designed for the home recordist.

If you got an iPad, Tascam came out with a Porta Studio app for $10 that simulates the old 4-track tape recorders:
    http://tascam.com/product/portastudio/downloads/
    You can't bounce tracks, and I think the only input is the built in mic, though there may be a work around device to get signal in, but for $10, it is probably the cheapest option out there to get something.

You can always upgrade to something better. For now, I would find something that does the job and is easy to use and create what you want.

Good luck!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I totally second the above post.
    The things you can learn on a 4 track are a real asset in terms of bouncing tracks, and how things are placed and leveled in the stereo field, especially when bouncing. You have to really think when overdubbing with a four track. I too own a Tascam DP-02 8 track. it has jacks that allow the connection of an Ipod or whatever you use too. They are very intuitive easy to use. I use mine with an external mixer, and midi, and all the other stuff, but you can run it as simply or complex as you want and get amazing results. If you're just starting out, and are thinking the software route, I'd suggest downloading Audacity for free online. Just Google it. It's put out there by a recording community, and actually is not bad at all. It's performance is limited to your computers capability, so if you add too many tracks the latency gets noticeable, but it's a great learning tool in the world of DAW.

It's very basic, but the layout is very similar to high end software programs. It's fully editable, packed with effects, and the normal sound sculpting features. You should use an interface, but you can get by fine just plugging into your computer's mic port with a jack adapter from your modeling device like say a Pod or whatever, or a USB mic to get started if you're unsure if this is the route you want to go.

Me personally, I like stand alone machines. It's just personal preference though. That's all I knew back in the analog days was multi track tape recorders, and large mixing consoles, so a machine just feels right, and more natural to an old fart such as myself.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Executionor View Post
    Hey guys, I am looking for some sort of recording hardware and software to record audio into a computer, but don't really know what I need. I am wanting to sing along with songs and record my voice onto a computer I have set up. What hardware and software do I need to do this? I don't have a good voice, just something I want to play around with! I hunted around musiciansfriend, but wasnt sure what to look for. Thanks for the info!
    I can't tell you what to buy, but all you are doing is sort of a karaoke deal right?

In that case, I would go with Audacity (free - or another free daw), and get one of
    the most simple audio intefaces you can buy - don't even bother with 24 - 16 bit will be
    just fine as will 44.1 so don't worry about 96k either. Alesis even makes some "monitors"
    with a built in audio interface. There are some lower end Tascams, Yamahas - you can
    even get a USB MIC that will function as an audio interface and will be fine for your needs.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

something like this would suit your needs:
    http://uk.line6.com/podstudioux1/
    they're pretty cheap and the provided Gearbox software is exellent, you can also use it as an interface for other programs (i also use it with Amplitube2 & 3) and you can then use Audacity to record and mix your tunes.
    also great for practicing as you can play along to mp3's and cd's though headphones with it and theres zero latency because the interface, not the soundcard does all the work. i use one all the time at home and am really happy with it, it's been one of the handiest songwriting and learning tools i've bought in 30yrs of playing.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K., VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the sky, Humans Being
    Last Online

05.27.15 @ 08:46 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

i bought the Presonus Firestudio Project a few months back and i love it. i would recommend it to anyone. it can go with 90% of DAWS and have pretty much 0 latency when set up right. However, with any interface you get, and especially if you are going to record at 96k, you will need a super powerful computer. I had to up mine by 4 gigs to get everything smooth!
    Personal Link
    www.facebook.com/TWDJR

Band Links:
    www.facebook.com/azmythband
    www.myspace.com/azmythband
    www.soundclick.com/azmythus
    www.azmythmusic.com

"Does anyone elses grandmother drink bacon grease?"

"I could barely see the ham, from the steam comin off of it, i reached down, between its legs, and cut a piece off" ... "Hamina"