Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Default drop-side cribs outlawed

It's the end of the traditional crib that has cradled millions of babies for generations.

The government outlawed drop-side cribs on Wednesday after the deaths of more than 30 infants and toddlers in the past decade and millions of recalls.

It was a unanimous vote by the Consumer Product Safety Commission to ban the manufacture, sale and resale of the cribs, which have a side rail that moves up and down, allowing parents to more easily lift their child from the crib.

The new standard requiring cribs to have fixed sides would take effect in June. The move by CPSC would also prohibit hotels and childcare centers from using drop-sides, though those facilities would have two years to purchase new cribs.

CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum hailed the new standard for cribs as one of the strongest in the world.

"I believe these new standards will markedly reduce crib-related hazards and help to ensure that young children sleep more safely in their cribs," Tenenbaum said after the vote.

Around for decades, drop-side cribs have come under scrutiny in recent years because of malfunctioning hardware, sometimes cheaper plastics, or assembly problems that can lead to the drop-side rail partially detaching from the crib. When that happens, it can create a dangerous "V"-like gap between the mattress and side rail where a baby can get caught and suffocate or strangle.

In all, drop-side cribs have been blamed in the deaths of at least 32 infants and toddlers since 2000 and are suspected in another 14 infant fatalities. In the past five years, more than 9 million drop-side cribs have been recalled, including cribs from big-name companies such as Evenflo, Delta Enterprise Corp., and Pottery Barn Kids.

Michele Witte of Merrick, N.Y., lost her 10-month-old son, Tyler, in 1997 when the drop-side rail on his crib came loose, partially detached and then trapped his neck between the rail and the headboard.

"It's been a long 13 years," said Witte. "I feel like it's a celebratory time because things are finally being done about the issue."

Witte appeared at a news conference on Capitol Hill with Democratic Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, Rep. Jan Schakowsky, D-Ill., and Rep. Joe Crowley, D-N.Y., all of whom have pushed for stronger crib safety rules.

The new standard mandates tougher safety testing for cribs, tests that more closely mimic a child in a crib. As children get older, they can apply more force to the crib — shaking on it, running around in it, jumping up and down. The new tests aim to make sure the cribs can take that kind of pressure.

Better labeling on crib pieces will also be required a measure that aims to cut down on the misassembly problems that some parents have encountered, problems that can lead to the death of a child.

Parents who lost their children in drop-side cribs say Wednesday's ban couldn't come soon enough.

Chad Johns, whose 9-month-old son, Liam, died in a drop-side crib in 2005, said he was a little relieved.

"Yes, it's a long time coming," said Johns from Roseville, Calif. "But the fact that it is happening that's what is important."

Crib makers were already phasing out drop-side cribs over the last couple years, amid increasing problems with them. And last year, the organization that sets voluntary industry standards ASTM International approved a drop-side ban.

Many parents, however, still have drop-sides in their homes. They can also be found at secondhand stores
    My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

This seems a little ridiculous to me. .003% death rate, More kids die choking on hot dogs every year. I'll bet though that there is some group out there pushing for those to be made illegal too.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

difference between a crib and a hot dog though is that hopefully parents aren't leaving their babies alone with a hot dog.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:36 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

They make these cribs (and other things now) with the most cheap shit plastic hardware they can get away with. They will not withstand daily use for long - even the stress of a parent leaning against it to lift their child out of the crib or a toddler banging on it will cause it to stress and eventually break. To the manufacturers - stop making cheap plastic hardware and focus on making a sturdy product that can take the daily use and normal abuse (that a crib should be able to withstand) and perhaps these fatal incidents may not happen nearly as often (if at all).

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I find these to be much more effective and safe.

Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

It's amazing that any of us survived childhood.

I know there is that list of what was different but I can remember having one of these cribs and my mother smoked at the time. No fucking baby monitors. If I cried and my mother didn't hear me, so be it. Of course I had the shitty designed car seat and only sat in it until 2 or so.

When I got older, I would ride my bike without a helmet since they didn't exist. My friends and I used to have bottle rocket fights or sometimes would throw clumps of dirt at each other. Used to put firecrackers in the back pockets of friends and light them on fire. We used to chew tar from the road when we didn't have gum to chew. I would wait outside for my bus outside at the corner with the other kids and froze. Our mommies didn't wipe our ass by putting us in a warm car until the bus arrived. We couldn't wear shorts to school so if it was 90, we sweated since most of our schools didn't have AC.

I know none of that has anything to do with the article but man kids today have it easy. I understand kids die from cribs but they die from other things too.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

More laws to make parents lazier...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

I had one of these cribs and all 3 of my children slept in them from about 1 month old to almost 2 years old spanning 10 years. Not once did a single piece break on it or did it ever fall apart. I had to set it up and take it apart 3 times, once for each child, and each time it was solid. I would bet that there are cheap ones being made and or the person putting it together just didn't do it right.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    It's amazing that any of us survived childhood.

I know there is that list of what was different but I can remember having one of these cribs and my mother smoked at the time. No fucking baby monitors. If I cried and my mother didn't hear me, so be it. Of course I had the shitty designed car seat and only sat in it until 2 or so.

When I got older, I would ride my bike without a helmet since they didn't exist. My friends and I used to have bottle rocket fights or sometimes would throw clumps of dirt at each other. Used to put firecrackers in the back pockets of friends and light them on fire. We used to chew tar from the road when we didn't have gum to chew. I would wait outside for my bus outside at the corner with the other kids and froze. Our mommies didn't wipe our ass by putting us in a warm car until the bus arrived. We couldn't wear shorts to school so if it was 90, we sweated since most of our schools didn't have AC.

I know none of that has anything to do with the article but man kids today have it easy. I understand kids die from cribs but they die from other things too.
    I agree, I am told by my older sister and my mother that we never had a car seat. I was always held in my sisters lap in the car if the family went somewhere. Like you, there was always a haze of cigarette smoke in the room growing up. Never a helmet when riding a bike, and as kids around the age of 10-12 we would have Chinese star fights at school on the playground. We would have 2 people stand at either ends of the wood dug out bench at the schools baseball field and each person would take turns throwing the stars at the other persons feet. The other person obviously jumping out of the way before being hit without falling off the bench. If the teachers took away the stars we would use darts.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

the bigger issue isn't with drop side cribs specifically but with cheap products. We just bought two drop sides for the twins and my son had one. If you install them properly and don't by cheap crap to put your kids in they are perfectly safe.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    I agree, I am told by my older sister and my mother that we never had a car seat. I was always held in my sisters lap in the car if the family went somewhere. Like you, there was always a haze of cigarette smoke in the room growing up. Never a helmet when riding a bike, and as kids around the age of 10-12 we would have Chinese star fights at school on the playground. We would have 2 people stand at either ends of the wood dug out bench at the schools baseball field and each person would take turns throwing the stars at the other persons feet. The other person obviously jumping out of the way before being hit without falling off the bench. If the teachers took away the stars we would use darts.
    Oh man I forgot about Chinese Stars. I remember we used to make them in metal shop and throw them around the classroom.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Oh man I forgot about Chinese Stars. I remember we used to make them in metal shop and throw them around the classroom.
    shit, you'd be labled a terrorist, taken out in handcuffs and expelled from school forever if that happened today!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    the bigger issue isn't with drop side cribs specifically but with cheap products. We just bought two drop sides for the twins and my son had one. If you install them properly and don't by cheap crap to put your kids in they are perfectly safe.
    That's the key I think - it's not the style, but the fact they aren't made as well anymore. But I guess it's easier to ban the style than to hold the manufacturers to some kind of standard.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    That's the key I think - it's not the style, but the fact they aren't made as well anymore. But I guess it's easier to ban the style than to hold the manufacturers to some kind of standard.
    sadly this is the truth. not that the standard cribs are any safer as the mother or father is reaching further down to pick up the kid and is more likely to drop the baby.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    More laws to make parents lazier...
    WERD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06