Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Default Building a Tele. Need some suggestions

Hi!
    I've built so many Strat style guitars, and need to change things up a little.
    I'm looking to do my first Tele build. I'm getting the maple board neck and ash body from Warmoth. Nothing fancy. No Floyd, or stealth switching. Just a bare bones guitar. I'm going to finish it in either traditional semi trasnluscent blonde, or that funky old sea foam green depending on how the grain looks. I'd like some input from you guys as to parts though. I want a vintage look and feel, though it won't be a relic at all so keep that in mind.

Most important, I'm leaning toward the early style vintage bridge. (the one with sides, not flat) and the three saddles. Would this be a mistake? It looks cool, but do any of you think it limits playability? I've plucked on one with it, and it seems alright, but I'm very aware of the sides. Also with intonation adjustment with the three saddles, is there much of an issue given the design of the guitar? Seems like an obvious question, but I've so many players with this bridge, they must still be a decent choice.

Secondly pickups. There's so much selection. Which pickups sound the best? I'm looking for traditional Tele sound. No screaming high gain, just something versatile. I no nothing about Tele neck pickups so help here will be huge.

Lastly, finish type. Nitro or poly? I want a vintage look, so maybe nitro is the way, but is poly better sounding?

I'll leave it there for now and get some of your responses.
    Thanks!
    J
    Last edited by we die young; 12.14.10 at 03:20 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

GFS (http://www.guitarfetish.com/) sell a bunch of Tele parts, including a bridge that appears to offer a good compromise between a vintage and modern Telecaster bridge - it's a Wilkinson bridge, I think. I fitted their Neovin Hard Vintage noiseless tele pickups to my own project, and I'm really happy with them. Very Danny Gatton sounding. I also tried a set of their Neovin pickups in a Strat, and I wasn't so keen, but the Tele versions sound great. And they're dirt cheap, too.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I've had and played an original tele for years. It was done right the first time IMO, I've never had a problem with the bridge, and I'm a big bender.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homeunit View Post
    I've had and played an original tele for years. It was done right the first time IMO, I've never had a problem with the bridge, and I'm a big bender.
    I've never owned a Tele, but I'd have to agree with you. I've been playing my buddy's for a while. He's got the newer 6 saddle bridge design, but I love the feel of the guitar. Great open sound. Aesthetically I like the vintage bridge, and I think I could get used to it. What about finish? Nitro or poly?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quality bridge, bone or graphite nut, Graph Tech string trees, and quality tuners. Make all that happen and tuning stability shouldn't be an issue.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    I've never owned a Tele, but I'd have to agree with you. I've been playing my buddy's for a while. He's got the newer 6 saddle bridge design, but I love the feel of the guitar. Great open sound. Aesthetically I like the vintage bridge, and I think I could get used to it. What about finish? Nitro or poly?
    I think nitro looks cooler and more vintage, especially on a Tele/Strat. I do hear it is more difficult to apply. As far as sound, I honestly don't think it makes any difference at all. Some say it does, but I don't buy it.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love my tele and it has the vintage style "tray" and saddles...it has never once occurred to me that it was limiting my playing or anything like that...and it stays in tune better than any of my other guitars.

I love teles...and a cool seafoam green with a black pickguard...or an amber pearloid would look awesome.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.