Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.18.15 @ 11:41 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Default Why did Eddie drop the CAE rig?

From about 82-98 Eddie used the CAE system (various incarnations) as his main rig, then when he emerged from his drunken stupor in 04 just in time for the tour he emerged with a Friedman built rig and has kept that in every performance since.

Anyone have any source material or talked to Lonnie about why the switch? I always thought the rigs Bob built him were top notch and he always sounded great through them. But to each his own...

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

actually 98' was was not the bradshaw. bobs system was from 86'-thru the balance tour. why is a good question. his tone from the 5150 tour thru balance was awesome. even bob was never told why and just never heard from EVH again. to go from bobs clean and quiet great sounding and simple system to that monstrosity pedal board he has now with hundreds of feet of cable etc makes no sense at all. but then after 95' EVH hasn't really done anything right, so why should this be any different. i asked lonnie about it once and he just shook his head. fyi, dave friedman does great work and should not be faulted. i am sure he built the rig the way the client wanted it.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo, Hear About it Later
    Last Online

08.08.15 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

i never heard of cae or friedman, so thanks for educating me a bit about this. it would be interesting to know why he switched and what it was evh liked about each system.
    Any musicians near Boston / Cape Cod want to get together and play some VH? I play drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and I sing. I want to start a VH tribute band. Contact me if interested.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Tommy are you sure about the 98?

He was still using an all racked system at that point and i'm pretty sure in the Australia show boots on youtube you can clearly see CAE's RS-10 MKII footboard in there.

Gageroo - CAE is Bob Bradshaw's company that started out in the early eighties. Check out his site CustomAudioElectronics.com. He's a super dude and until the mid-late nineties he was a bonafide guitar superstar. He's now more of a legend and there are other people doing what he pioneered, but nothing quite as custom.

Friedman owns RackSystems Co in LA. I'm not sure if he builds any of the interfaces himself, but he does more building the rack, wiring the rack than anything else.

Bob builds the best components in the industry in my opinion and there are customed to what you need. Obviously there is a price for this and sometimes a lead time. The rack I wanted to put together couldn't be done with the GCX or RJM stuff, so Bob was kinda my only choice...

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Oh by the way Tommy,

I never meant freidman doesn't do good work. I've seen him stuff over at hugeracksinc and he does some huge stuff that is awesome. Even the Pedalboards he does are great.

You are right, he did probably just build the rig to the customer's specifications and it gets his name out there more. The pedalboard is stupidly huge IMO, and the amount of cable that has to be run is just a joke. It's not a wonder why the smart gate pro is in there...

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by TheVanlaing View Post
    Oh by the way Tommy,

I never meant freidman doesn't do good work. I've seen him stuff over at hugeracksinc and he does some huge stuff that is awesome. Even the Pedalboards he does are great.

You are right, he did probably just build the rig to the customer's specifications and it gets his name out there more. The pedalboard is stupidly huge IMO, and the amount of cable that has to be run is just a joke. It's not a wonder why the smart gate pro is in there...
    in 98' EVH had a guy working full time for him named i believe george who put the rig together. they used essentially the same rack pieces but not the cae switcher and pedal. he had a big and even more busy looking pedalboard similar to the one he has now. if you remember, 98' was when he dropped the wireless and had those big metal attachments put on the guitar to keep the chord away from him which looked rediculous. as for the smart gate pro, he used that in 2004 with the 5150II's. on the last tour with the 5150III's no gate at all. the 5150III are really quiet and don't need it. i didn't think you dogged friedman. i just mentioned that in general. i know all these guys and both he and bob b are cool. dave and martin at la sound design too.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

hey Tommy,

he had the Smart Gate in the 08 rig;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/43908441@N00/3812882143/

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by TheVanlaing View Post
    hey Tommy,

he had the Smart Gate in the 08 rig;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/43908441@N00/3812882143/
    Dave told me they weren't being used though. who knows.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:14 AM
    Liked 61 Times in 30 Posts

Donor

In all the interview from around that time, he said he wanted to get back to basics for the live sound.

I wonder if economics had anything to do with it. I've read interviews with Steve Lukather recently about how much big gear costs to ship these days. Seems like he quoted a $25k price to ship his CAE rig overseas.
    When he did a tour earlier in the spring, he played rented heads & cabs and just brought along a few pedals. Most recently, he decided to drop the CAE rig and have Bob B. built him a custom pedal board.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

yeah the lukather thing is funky because there has been recent photos of him playing through a more recent CAE rack over in europe.

The pedalboard Bob built him is kinda funny to me because of all the digitech hardwire pedals on there. Bob has professed his love for those things time and time again. I'm sure whatever luke is playing through it sings so it doesn't matter if it's boutique or not...

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k.
    Favorite VH Song

cant get this stuff no more
    Last Online

02.02.14 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah i dont know alot about bradshaw but i looked some of his stuff up on the tube and damn his stuff would make a hundred dollar guitar sound great! i always did love ed's sound on fuck, and balance and 5150. i really wasnt big on the sound he had on the VH3 tour but to each his own i guess. i loved the sound he was getting through bradshaw cause to me they had a hot rodded cosmic sound to it. Ed always said its all in his fingers and i believe he's right to a point. the help of a nicely put together rack adds alot more to it! if it aint broke dont fix it!