Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

New Chad Smith Interview 12/06

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/inter..._grateful.html

Chad Smith could easily be dubbed the hardest-working musician in the industry. Since arriving on the music scene in the early 1980’s, the man perhaps most well-known as the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ drummer has proven that his talents extend far beyond the hard rock/funk genre. Idle time has become nonexistent for Smith, who in the past few years has undertaken everything from a supergroup (Chickenfoot) to children’s music (Rhythm Train with Leslie Bixler) to straightforward rock collaborations (Glenn Hughes). One of the most fulfilling projects for the drummer, however, has been the instrumental rock/funk/jazz fusion endeavor Chad Smith’s Bombastic Meatbats. The idea originally spawned from meeting guitarist Jeff Kollman and keyboardist Ed Roth (mutual backing musicians for Glenn Hughes), who discovered that their jam sessions were creating album-worthy compositions. With the later addition of Kevin Chown on the bass, the quartet released its debut back in 2009 and just unleashed the record More Meat on October 19.

For a brief moment, Smith’s work with the Bombastic Meatbats and the buzz around his next album with the Red Hot Chili Peppers seemed to indicate that his era with Chickenfoot was at an end. But in a recent interview with Ultimate-Guitar.com, Smith dispelled any rumors and confirmed that he is still very much an active member of the Satriani-Hagar-Anthony supergroup. For as many projects as Smith has brewing, it was obvious that drummer was thriving in the organic Meatbats’ environment. The 12 tracks on More Meat are a product of liberating – and laid-back – sessions that Smith deems some of his most fulfilling. And for those of you hoping that Smith still has plenty of creative juice for Anthony Kiedis and the gang, fear not. The musician was in the thick of recording with the iconic group when we chatted with him and admitted he was “excited” about the much-anticipated Chili Peppers record.

UG: Before we start talking about the latest album with the Bombastic Meatbats, I have to say how entertaining you were on the new Chickenfoot DVD Get Your Buzz On. Your man-on-the-street interviews asking people if they recognized anybody in Chickenfoot were hilarious.

Chad: The man on the street? Ah, yes! I was just walking around talking to people and they’re like, “Nope! Never heard of them. I don’t know who that guy is. Is that Jimmy Page?”

There was a rumor that you weren’t going to continue with Chickenfoot.

That’s not true. Sam likes to talk. He was kind of frustrated. He knew all along that I was in another group. A little band from Hollywood – well, two bands – but one of them takes a lot of my time right now. So he was a little frustrated. But we played the other day and it was really fun. We had a great time again. So Joe is doing his solo album tour, and I think he’s starting now. In December or maybe two weeks in January, we’re going to start up. I’ll be done with my Chili Peppers stuff long before then. We’ll go into the studio probably in the middle of January. That’s the plan.

"I just like to stay busy. People want to play, and I’m so happy to play with them."
    With the Bombastic Meatbats, was most of the material on More Meat finished during those initial songwriting sessions? What was the process like this time around?
    This time it was much different because we played together. Kevin, the bass player, I met him the first time in the studio when we recorded that first record. There was another bass player Phil Chen, he was supposed to come and record with us. He was playing with The Doors at the time or something and he couldn’t show up. So we called Kevin, and he literally came down and started playing right away. This time we played together new songs and wrote new songs. It was much more of a band effort. That was really the main difference. This record, we finished it before I went to New York last year. So it’s been done for about a year and a half. We had the first record, the second one, and then the whole live thing that we recorded in L.A. at the Baked Potato. We had two studio albums and a live album done before anything had come out.

Looking back at the last few years, it’s insane at how prolific you’ve been.

I just like to stay busy. People want to play, and I’m so happy to play with them. I love it so much. I have a great job and it’s really fun. We were just kind of waiting for the right time to put it out, the second record. The songs are better because we know each other musically and personally and have traveled around playing the songs. It just had a better vibe to me. It sounds much better. We’re very proud of it. And it’s got a song called “Shag”!

Talk about “Shag,” which has a distinct jazzy feel to it. Was that the result of a jam session?

A lot of them come out of jams. It frees you up musically. You can stretch out a bit. It doesn’t have to be verse-chorus-verse-chorus. In that way it’s really satisfying musically. A lot of things come of jams, like a feel. With “Shag” we were going in to record, and there was this thing that Jeff sent like a guitar idea. He sent me it and we kind of forgot about it. I said, “This is really good. We’ve got to make this into a song.” That’s what we did. It’s so funny how half-minute things tend to be the best things because no one is thinking about it. You don’t overanalyze it. You just kind of go with it. That was it. We did the song and it had a really nice melody to it. That was a late addition.

How unique is the songwriting process with the Bombastic Meatbats compared with Chickenfoot or the Chili Peppers?

They’re different and they’re the same. Your ultimate goal is to play what’s best for the song. In the Chili Peppers, we always jam. Then we have people come in with ideas, so it’s a combination of both. The Chickenfoot thing is more – certainly on the first record – Joe had a lot of ideas. He would send demos around. He’s got a little studio in his house. Then he and Sam would get together. Then Mike and I would come up from L.A. when it was like, “Yeah, we’ve got great ideas.” Joe comes up with the initial ideas, not just songs but riffs. Then everybody puts in their input, which is great. For the Meatbats, it’s really organic. Out of 12 songs, I would say eight of them came out of jams. We came up with them in this little place that’s cool called the Tiki Room. In the Tiki Room, it all goes down! I may have a beat or Jeff might have an idea. That’s usually how it goes. Somebody has got something, and then we run with it. We start playing and jamming. Sometimes it’s great and sometimes it doesn’t go anywhere. It’s a real organic process, which is really fun. It just comes out of nowhere and it’s real. I prefer it because everybody has their input.

Do you have a dream collaborator with whom you’d like to work?

Yeah, I’d like to play with Jimmy Page. Who wouldn’t, though? We have the same managers, and he used to come to some of our gigs. I was like, “Man, do you want a rhythm section?” He smiles! I can tell that he wants to play. He’s frustrated. I don’t think Robert Plant wants to do it anymore. I could play Led Zeppelin songs all day long, but supposedly he has a bunch of ideas and a bunch of stuff recorded. I don’t know. That’s what I’ve heard. I mean, Led Zeppelin was my favorite band. I think it would be fun to get in a room and bang out some ideas and see what would happen. I think there would be five million drummers right behind me wanting to do the same thing. I’m so fortunate. I get to play with the best musicians. I’m in a fantastic musical situation. The Chili Peppers have been together for 25 years and we’re still happy to be doing what we’re doing. We’re lucky, fortunate, and grateful. We’re changing and growing. I think wherever I go in all my musical situations, I am just happy to be playing music. That’s what I love to do. I’m just really lucky, but I work at it. I want to keep growing and getting better as a person and a musician and a friend and dad and a husband. It all goes together.

"Chickenfoot will go into the studio probably in the middle of January. That’s the plan."
    Congratulations on being voted the 10th best drummer of the last 25 years by Rhythm Magazine. How does it feel to have an honor like that?
    It makes me feel old! That’s really nice. It’s always nice to be recognized by your peers or the industry or your fans – anybody. With lists and things like that, it kind of sounds like a competition. I don’t really subscribe to that. Music is nothing about competition. You basically do your thing. It’s what you like and what you don’t like. You have a choice. It’s really nice because I’m proud and do the best that I can. The great thing about that is that if I can inspire somebody to pick up an instrument or the drums or start a band or anything, that’s great. For people who are just starting out, that’s cool.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:58 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

That whole Jimmy Page/ Zeppelin part sounds like Chad volunteered for Zeppelin.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

That's not true. Sam likes to talk... Love that comment.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah that comment caught my attention as well. Great stuff!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 18,089 Times in 8,937 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Yeah that comment caught my attention as well. Great stuff!
    Love that he can just accept that about Sam and move on.

If everyone in VH had that attitude we wouldn't be on lead singer change (let me calculate - DLR-SH-MM-DLR-GC-DLR-SH-DLR - eight total - so seven changes!) number seven since 1985.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

Yup, Chad totally figured him out "Sam likes to talk."
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

In December or maybe two weeks in January, we’re going to start up. I’ll be done with my Chili Peppers stuff long before then. We’ll go into the studio probably in the middle of January. That’s the plan.
    There ya have it.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

It's nice when there is a plan. ""Chickenfoot will go into the studio probably in the middle of January. That’s the plan."

Even if that's not really the plan, at least WE think that's the plan.

It's so much more refreshing than:

"Well big news! Rumour is Van Halen will be recording in 2011 with producer (blah blah) and let me tell you this isn't just another one of those rumours that don't come true. You can be sure of that.

But nothing has been set in stone and only time will tell if it comes to fruition."

I LOVE CHICKENFOOT!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Not sure about the time line of this interview. I think it was sometime after the California shows. Anybody know when Joe's tour started? Chad says Joe's tour starts now. I thought it already started. Chad himself also said that he wouldn't be touring, just finishing the record. I'm confused.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    Not sure about the time line of this interview. I think it was sometime after the California shows. Anybody know when Joe's tour started? Chad says Joe's tour starts now. I thought it already started. Chad himself also said that he wouldn't be touring, just finishing the record. I'm confused.
    Joe played Greensburg, PA last week. He has a show in Cleveland on 12/17. He has an all access package where you get your photo taken with him, as well as a Q and A session.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:38 PM
    Liked 739 Times in 407 Posts

Premium Member

Hold on....I always knew that Chad was going to record the next CF CD - but was under the impression that he wouldn't tour behind it due to his CP commitments....should I interpret this as him saying he's going to tour with CF now??

Also - general comment to ALL members of Chickenfoot - Ed, Al, Dave and Wolf played 4 times in Toronto - Chickenfoot only one time - and YOUR concert was sold out in seconds....me thinks there is great opportunity here for more then one concert boys!!
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Hold on....I always knew that Chad was going to record the next CF CD - but was under the impression that he wouldn't tour behind it due to his CP commitments....should I interpret this as him saying he's going to tour with CF now??
    That's what I thought when I read the thread title. But like I suspected, I believe this interview was done after the last California show.

This is why.

"So Joe is doing his solo album tour, and I think he’s starting now. In December or maybe two weeks in January, we’re going to start up."

If this interview was done in December, why would he say "in December?" Wouldn't he say "sometime this month?"

Anyway...looking forward to the new album.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw