Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Default A Date That Will Live In Infamy

I was surprised to see nobody had started a thread to remember the hero's that died in the attack on Pearl Harbor.

My dad had an Uncle that died aboard the USS Oklahoma. In memory & honor of the 2,402 sailors, Marines and soldiers that died that day, I leave you all this.

"Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:19 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy View Post
    I was surprised to see nobody had started a thread to remember the hero's that died in the attack on Pearl Harbor.

My dad had an Uncle that died aboard the USS Oklahoma. In memory & honor of the 2,402 sailors, Marines and soldiers that died that day, I leave you all this.
    Yeah, sad but true reflection on the times I guess. Soon the remaining survivors will all be gone. Sorry to hear about your great uncle. As I recall, the Oklahoma and the Arizona were the only Battleships sank or damaged that were not repaired and returned to duty. After the Oklahoma was eventually raised and righted it was being towed back to the mainland but sank enroute. At least that's what I remember reading.

Never Forget 12/7/1941!
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

I was surprised too and Yahoo only had a little blurb about it on their front page for a few hours. Just think--a few more decades and 9/11 will have the same fate.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

December 7 has always been a notable day in our house. My father was a kid living in Pearl Harbor the day of the attack and was playing in the back yard when the Japs flew right over his house after the dropping the first wave of bombs. He has a pretty wild story about the whole day.

Ironically, on Dec 7, 1979, he had a massive heart attack and almost died. Needless to say he gets a little freaked out every Dec 7.

Every year one of the papers around here does an interview with him. Here's an excerpt from today's paper:

Thomas E. Davey was up early and playing in his bedroom with his younger brother, Jimmy, on a sunny Hawaiian morning, when the air was suddenly filled with low-flying fighter planes and the sound of explosions.
    Eight-year-old Tom Davey ran outside and saw a torpedo plane roar past just above the tree tops, the unmistakable red ball symbol of Japan on the fuselage.

Mr. Davey, now 77, recalled that a piece of armor plating from what he believes was the battleship USS Arizona rained down on his neighborhood. He kept a piece that measures about five inches long and almost an inch thick. He said he and his two brothers, mother and grandmother were placed in a bedroom by his father, a Navy lieutenant, who then placed mattresses over them.

After about an hour, when it became quiet, his father drove them to an old artillery battery known locally as the dungeon, where they took refuge.

“We went into the dungeon, and it was the first time I saw wounded people,” Mr. Davey said. “Some were covered in oil, and some were burned and moaning. It smelled to high heaven.

“I watched the attack through slots in the wall. Someone handed us oranges and said not to waste any, because no one knew when we would eat again. I had the peels in my pockets for days, all dried up.”

The following day Mr. Davey and other boys were put to work loading .50 caliber machine gun bullets into belts. For the next weeks he and others carried gas masks with them, and practiced regular air raid drills until they were moved to the mainland early in 1942.

Decades later, while unpacking some of his mother's belongings in Rhode Island, he found the waffle iron his mother was using when the attack began. He pried it open and found a light brown waffle inside, still soft enough to pull a piece out and eat it. He still has the waffle iron and the crumbled remains inside that he takes to presentations to school and civic groups.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The J Man View Post
    I was surprised too and Yahoo only had a little blurb about it on their front page for a few hours. Just think--a few more decades and 9/11 will have the same fate.
    you mean many of us haven't forgotten about it already?

I did think about Pearl Harbor as the date now slips almost 70 years into the past and wondered if there would be much on it today. Just a whole different time back then, not sure how many of us would've hacked it. I'm thankful for those that did, though.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:32 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

I thought about it. My father was buried on Dec 7 1999. It's still on US calanders.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.