Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Floyd Rose...setting it up for optimum use?

So,
    I was looking at Scottys post on strings, and it occurred to me, theres lots of different ways to set the Floyd up. You can put it on your guitar, straight out of the package. You can buy after market parts. You can make it float, you can go so many different ways with the Tremolo. What would be the best set up to get great tone, simple adjustments, and better life? I've been thinking about tearing apart one Floyd, and rebuilding it for a 1984 replica...anyone?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    So,
    I was looking at Scottys post on strings, and it occurred to me, theres lots of different ways to set the Floyd up. You can put it on your guitar, straight out of the package. You can buy after market parts. You can make it float, you can go so many different ways with the Tremolo. What would be the best set up to get great tone, simple adjustments, and better life? I've been thinking about tearing apart one Floyd, and rebuilding it for a 1984 replica...anyone?
    Obviously, this is completely subjective, Josh, so, you're going to get many variations on a theme here, but, for me, the following set-up works best for optimum tone transfer and resonance:
    -bridge "flush" mounted to body
    -big block for bridge (brass or titanium depending on body wood)
    -d-tuna
    -wood screw bridge posts
    -two trem springs only
    -trem claw screwed into or close to body

I own both new and old style trem bars, but I have no particular preference for either as I find that both work well.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,310 Times in 3,173 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have 3 Kramers with floating trems and prefer them than non. I use 2 springs. I don't use a big block but do they make a difference?

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I have 3 Kramers with floating trems and prefer them than non. I use 2 springs. I don't use a big block but do they make a difference?
    Yes. You should try one out!
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    Yes. You should try one out!
    What material would you recommend?

Eruption
    Last Online

What material would you recommend?
    Again, it depends on the body wood, but I would start with brass since Tungsten and Titanium are much more expensive. Brass and Tungsten are tend to be warmer and full while Titanium is brigther and tighter.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Again, it depends on the body wood, but I would start with brass since Tungsten and Titanium are much more expensive. Brass and Tungsten are tend to be warmer and full while Titanium is brigther and tighter.
    Will I still be able to fully bend my bar with a bigger block?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

Yes. Get one. You'll really notice the sustain difference.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Last Online

Depends... some trem cavities might not be able to accommodate a big block without some routing. What guitar body would you be putting it in?
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Depends... some trem cavities might not be able to accommodate a big block without some routing. What guitar body would you be putting it in?
    You know,
    I've been meaning to ask, how do you know what size of a block to get?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    You know,
    I've been meaning to ask, how do you know what size of a block to get?
    32mm is for recessed trems. If you install one and use it in conjunction with a non-recessed trem, the springs will make contact with the trem cavity at the point where the "pool" and the "wall" meet.
    Now, this is where it gets tricky... the same thing can also happen with 37mm if the trem cavity "pool" routing is too shallow. 42mm is ideal in these situations, but sometimes the block itself can protrude above the trem cavity.
    Generally speaking, older bodies have a shallow route. The newer bodies are uaually routed deeper (unless they are based on the Azusa clones, then the route is going to be shallow).
    So, back to your original question: 37mm usually does the job, but if you really want to be sure just check the size of the trem block that currently installed on your Floyd. If it's operating properly, then that's the size for your guitar!
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:05 PM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

If you buy a FR brand brass block, it's about 3/16 thicker than the OEM block. Add's around 3/32 of an inch to the front and back of the block.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

The type of Floyd setup really depends largely on what style music you play. If you're going to play Vai, then you are going to need a floating Floyd. Floating Floyds can be extremely stable, once they are properly set up. The problem with them is that they can be a real bugger to get set up properly.

I've played both, and I tend to fall on the side of flush mount (Blocked, or "down-only") Floyd setup. First off, it fits the music style I play better, which is bluesy, melodic with lots of bends. It offers improved tuning stability, and improved tone, sustain and resonance.

The setup that is recommended by most manufacturers on flush mounted Floyds is to tighten the trem springs until the Floyd just rests on the top of the body. I don't like this setup, because it still allows all the other strings to go flat when I bend one string. When I setup a Floyd, I will use either 2 strong springs from the middle of the trem claw, to the outside of the sustain block, or 3 weaker trem springs, running straight from the claw to the sustain block on the outsides and middle. In either configuration, I tighten the trem claw just enough so that the strings stay on pitch when one string is bent. I then loosen the trem claw screw on the bottom about 1 turn, and tighten the trem claw screw on the top about 1 turn. This puts more tension on the thicker strings than on the smaller ones.

In setting my Floyd up this way, it requires a little more effort to pull the trem down, and a little finesse when bringing it back up, so that the trem doesn't smack agains the body with an audible thud.

If you use a floating Floyd, I would definately get a big brass sustain block. There are a couple things you can do to improve your tuning stability on a floating Floyd. First, make sure the trem is level, and parallel with the body. Second, I've found that it's better to use 3 or mabye even 4 weaker trem springs in the straight line configuration between the trem claw and sustain block. I use 9s on my guitars, so I've used 3 springs with much success. Also, angle your trem claw as described above to put more tension on the thicker strings. This helps alot.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

1986 kramer pacer.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i prefer mine flush mounted with atleast 3 springs and the claw as tight a i can get it, i don't want it to move unless i intend it to. i also upgrade to a brass block, the difference is really noticeable when you first install one.
    the last Krmer i upgraded the Floyd on was an '84 Barretta and that required a 42mm block
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!