Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 3,114 Times in 1,825 Posts

Premium Member

Default The government can't even print money properly

Not that anyone should find this shocking.

Government can’t print money properly
    By Zachary Roth zachary Roth Mon Dec 6, 9:36 am ET

As a metaphor for our troubled economic and financial era -- and the government's stumbling response -- this one's hard to beat. You can't stimulate the economy via the money supply, after all, if you can't print the money correctly.

Because of a problem with the presses, the federal government has shut down production of its flashy new $100 bills, and has quarantined more than 1 billion of them -- more than 10 percent of all existing U.S. cash -- in a vault in Fort Worth, Texas, reports CNBC.

"There is something drastically wrong here," one source told CNBC. "The frustration level is off the charts."

Officials with the Treasury and the Federal Reserve had touted the new bills' sophisticated security features that were 10 years in the making, including a 3-D security strip and a color-shifting image of a bell, designed to foil counterfeiters. But it turns out the bills are so high-tech that the presses can't handle the printing job.

More than 1 billion unusable bills have been printed. Some of the bills creased during production, creating a blank space on the paper, one official told CNBC. Because correctly printed bills are mixed in with the flawed ones, even the ones printed to the correct design specs can't be used until they 're sorted. It would take an estimated 20 to 30 years to weed out the defective bills by hand, but a mechanized system is expected to get the job done in about a year.

Combined, the quarantined bills add up to $110 billion -- more than 10 percent of the entire U.S. cash supply, which now stands at around $930 billion.

The flawed bills, which cost around $120 million to print, will have to be burned.

The new bills are the first to include Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner's signature. In order to prevent a shortfall,the government has ordered production of the old design, which includes the signature of Bush administration Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson. That, surely, is not the only respect in which the nation's lead economic officials would like to turn back the clock to sometime before the 2008 financial crisis.

But they can run the health care system!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...properly/print

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

$120 million to print the flawed money which will now be burned!!! Wow, our government definitely has no limits to the money they can waste. I can't believe that they kept printing when they found there was a problem. They must not have any quality control during production.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

If I were a counterfeiter, I don't think I'd be even worrying about how to replicate the new bills seeing as how the older ones are still being accepted and likely will be for many decades to come. Seems like an awfully big waste of time and money to this simple-minded man.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

Premium Member

This is what cracks me up. No one will be held accountable, no one will be fired. We think the feds should do all this stuff and they can't even do the enumerated powers correctly. They apparently print money the way they run the post office.

Well, I guess I should be fair. The can sure borrow the hell out of money on the credit of the US. They regulate the absolute shit out of commerce, too. Oh, and they can write laws like nobodies business. Kudos to Congress for that!
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 12.07.10 at 10:46 AM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Well, they ARE in charge of the education system. They can't get rid of sucky teachers (union) so why should they get rid of any other crappy employee?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    If I were a counterfeiter, I don't think I'd be even worrying about how to replicate the new bills seeing as how the older ones are still being accepted and likely will be for many decades to come. Seems like an awfully big waste of time and money to this simple-minded man.
    I've wondered about this ever since they unveiled the new $20 bill back in the 90s.

I STILL see old 20s all the time. If they are going to introduce a new bill, seems like they should have the banks hold those bills and trade them for new ones to then put into circulation.

We've got what? Three different 20s floating around right now? A couple different 1s, 5s, and 10s.

What's the point?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 18,129 Times in 8,953 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I've wondered about this ever since they unveiled the new $20 bill back in the 90s.

I STILL see old 20s all the time. If they are going to introduce a new bill, seems like they should have the banks hold those bills and trade them for new ones to then put into circulation.

We've got what? Three different 20s floating around right now? A couple different 1s, 5s, and 10s.

What's the point?
    Yeah, if I was a counterfeiter, why not just keep making the old ones, it is not like they aren't in circulation anymore.

Maybe in huge quantities they would become noticeable.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

Premium Member

Again, we want these all-knowing geniuses in charge of more and more of our lives?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 18,129 Times in 8,953 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Again, we want these all-knowing geniuses in charge of more and more of our lives?
    We can't even print money correctly, but trust us!!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

I can't believe there isn't some sort of quality control with this process. An in process inspection procedure, checking a certain amount of bills at even intervals through out the run. I work in manufacturing and even at what we do we check every dimension of each job that is running at a sample rate of 10 pcs. every 30 minutes, and our machines only run about 5000 per hour. Somebody should be losing their job at this and a complete overhaul of their quality procedures is certainly needed.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    I can't believe there isn't some sort of quality control with this process. An in process inspection procedure, checking a certain amount of bills at even intervals through out the run. I work in manufacturing and even at what we do we check every dimension of each job that is running at a sample rate of 10 pcs. every 30 minutes, and our machines only run about 5000 per hour. Somebody should be losing their job at this and a complete overhaul of their quality procedures is certainly needed.
    Won't happen.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    That is exactly what I said. There must not be any quality control during production. Amazing isn't it?
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Who knows...if production is so bad, then maybe the "quality control" people on the production line probably don't do much more than stuff the occasional "sample" into their pockets all the time!

I think Ron Paul is nutty, but on the whole "Fed" issue, he is right on. We need to audit these unaccountable people and find out what is really going on.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post

What's the point?
    what happens here in England is that we're given a date when new bills come into circulation and a date that the old ones will no longer be legal tender, if you still have the old style bills after the cut off date you have to exchange them at a bank or loose out, that would be a sensible option imo, although i do realise that the U.S. is considerably larger than Britain, but a longer changeover period could solve the issue.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    Who knows...if production is so bad, then maybe the "quality control" people on the production line probably don't do much more than stuff the occasional "sample" into their pockets all the time!

I think Ron Paul is nutty, but on the whole "Fed" issue, he is right on. We need to audit these unaccountable people and find out what is really going on.
    My company does work at the Treasury and I can tell you, security is so tight, no one is stuffing bills in their pockets. I know you're kidding but they allow nothing on the floor when you work there, every day is like you have never been there before as far as scanning and searching, cameras everywhere. I think at least the security part they get right.