Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,349 Posts

Default 4.5 billion dollar reparation bill passes senate

over a decade after settlement of a lawsuit, $1.15 billion is allocated to black farmers who were discriminated against by the US Agriculture department

and $3.4 billion to settle a suit against the Interior department for mismanaging a trust fund for American Indians

black farmers would be eligible for $50,000 pay outs

fire up the presses boys...it's time to print more money!

Black Farmers Bill Passes The Senate!!

November 19, 2010

Washington (CNN) -- The U.S. Senate approved a $1.15 billion measure Friday to fund a settlement initially reached between the Agriculture Department and minority farmers more than a decade ago.

The 1997 Pigford v. Glickman case against the U.S. Agriculture Department was settled out of court 11 years ago. Under a federal judge's terms dating to 1999, qualified farmers could receive $50,000 each to settle claims of racial bias.

"This is much long overdue justice for black farmers," said John Boyd, founder and president of the National Black Farmers Association.

President Barack Obama issued a statement applauding the Senate's decision and urging the House to follow-up on its efforts earlier this year, so he can sign the settlements into law. Officials are still working to resolve similar discrimination lawsuits filed against the U.S. Department of Agriculture by women and Latino farmers, according to Obama.

"While these legislative achievements reflect important progress, they also serve to remind us that much work remains to be done," Obama said.

In another statement, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack called the settlements "a major milestone in the U.S. Department of Agriculture's efforts to turn the page on a sad chapter."

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, also said the vote gives "long-suffering Americans ... the closure that they deserve."

"The agreement that we reached shows what can happen when Democrats and Republicans come together to do the right thing," he said.

The measure was approved by unanimous consent.

The Senate also cleared -- in the same piece of legislation -- $3.4 billion to fund a separate settlement reached with the Department of Interior for mishandling of a trust fund managed for Native Americans. The bill also includes settlements for four water-right lawsuits filed by Native American tribes.

In July, the House approved a war supplemental bill that included money to pay for the settlements. At the time, however, the Senate failed to approve the measure.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Oklahoma, dropped an objection to the package this week after Senate leaders agreed not to finance it through additional deficit spending.

Prominent members of both parties have voiced support for paying out the settlements.

The measure will now have to be approved by the lame duck House before moving to Obama's desk to be signed into law.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,310 Times in 3,173 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Is this a joke? I have about 5 ways I could take this but I'm gonna take the high road.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:21 PM
    Liked 787 Times in 378 Posts

Premium Member

From wikipedia

Pigford v. Glickman was a class action lawsuit against the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), alleging racial discrimination in its allocation of farm loans and assistance between 1983 and 1997.

The lawsuit ended with a settlement in which the U.S. government agreed to pay African American farmers US$50,000 each if they had attempted to get USDA help but failed. To date (Jan 2009), almost US$1 billion has been paid or credited to the farmers under the settlement's consent decree.

According to this it sounds like they're all being paid $50k regardless of their qualifications to receive a loan. If they were denied a loan for any reason then they're automatically paid $50k each.

This also jumps out as whacky....

After the lawsuit was filed, Pigford requested blanket mediation to cover what was thought to be about 2,000 farmers who may have been discriminated against, but the U.S. Department of Justice opposed the mediation, saying that each case had to be investigated separately. As the case moved toward trial though, the presiding judge certified as a class all black farmers who filed discrimination complaints against the USDA between 1983 and 1997.
    Far beyond the anticipated 2,000 affected farmers, 22,505 "Track A" applications were heard and decided upon.

After the success of that lawsuit then they tried it again a few years later without such success...

In 2004, the Black Farmers and Agriculturalists Association filed a US$20.5 billion class action lawsuit against the USDA for the same practices, alleging racially discriminatory practices between 1997 and 2004. The lawsuit was dismissed when the BFAA failed to show it had standing to bring the suit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigford_v._Glickman
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,115 Times in 8,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Is this a joke? I have about 5 ways I could take this but I'm gonna take the high road.
    I won't take the high road.

Fuck'em, that's the breaks. I had nothing to do with it, my father didn't, my grandfather didn't and it is the same for almost everyone. Everyone acts like all white people are where they are in life because their family benefited from the sweat equity of some other race.

Bullshit.

Were things done wrong, sure, but reparations is bullshit. Go get a fucking job and quit bitching about what your dad, grand dad or great grand dad didn't get that they were supposedly entitled to.

It's called life, it isn't fair, it is hard, just fucking deal with it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

The congressional approval of a whopping $4.6 billion settlement for black and Native American farmers who claimed they were discriminated against has cleared the way for a similar pair of costly lawsuits -- drawing complaints that the government may be buckling to pressure and rewarding dubious claims.

The so-called "Pigford" case involving black farmers who allege the Agriculture Department cheated them for decades drew to a close Tuesday when the House joined the Senate in approving the second settlement in the case to date. But the lawsuits don't end there. Though Pigford has attracted the most attention, a separate set of cases filed by Hispanic and female farmers has been working its way through the courts since shortly after Pigford was filed more than a decade ago.

Those cases are set for a hearing in federal District Court in the nation's capital on Friday, and once again a large pot of taxpayer money is on the line. The farmers were offered a $1.3 billion settlement back in May, but the plaintiffs have since then pushed for more. Some Democratic lawmakers argue they deserve it.

But the same lawmakers who fought Pigford warn that this week's congressional vote could lower the bar for the other discrimination claims. Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, declining to comment on the specifics of the claims by Hispanic and female farmers, said he remains concerned that the farmers won't have to prove much in order to win a payout from Uncle Sam. He suggested anyone who's not a white male could have a shot.

"I've always looked at Pigford as the issue that opens the door for the others," King told FoxNews.com. "They will point continually at the Pigford precedent."

Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., who has called on Congress to investigate the Pigford claims, told FoxNews.com last week that the upcoming cases represent the "next generation" of discrimination suits. She suggested the government was handing out "reparations" for the sake of political correctness.

The Hispanic farmers' suit, called Garcia v. Vilsack, was originally filed in 2000 and claimed Hispanic farmers lost out on credit and disaster benefits because of USDA discrimination. They also alleged the USDA systematically refused to investigate prior discrimination complaints.

Similarly, female farmers claimed discrimination based on gender in a case called Love v. Vilsack.

A lawyer for the plaintiffs could not be reached for comment, but they have provided reams of testimony to back up their claims. In one filing, a 53-year-old Hispanic woman said her family had been farming in Santa Cruz County, Calif., since the '60s but struggled in obtaining government loans when the family went through a period of low yields. She said the government gave them an "unworkable" plan with high payments that they had to accept. In a separate encounter, she claimed the government subsequently denied her family an emergency loan in 1995, qualified the family for separate assistance and then demanded that money back years later.

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack has indicated a desire to close the book on these discrimination cases. He said Wednesday that the administration's aim is "to try to resolve as many of these cases in as fair and equitable (a) way as possible."

"This has been a concerted effort the president has been behind, a concerted effort that we at USDA have been behind, and I think it is an historic opportunity for us to close the chapter on what has been a sordid chapter of civil rights in this USDA and start a new chapter," he told reporters in a conference call.

Though he noted that the cases do not enjoy class-action status and could be handled as "thousands of individual cases," he said the plaintiffs can still accept the government's settlement "that we're in the process of finalizing." He suggested the money, which has not been voted on by Congress, would come from the so-called Judgment Fund -- a funding source set aside by the federal government for settlements and court judgments.

He said plaintiffs need to provide "substantial evidence, documentary evidence, of the fact that you tried to do business or you did do business with USDA and you were not treated fairly."

Asked about King's earlier criticism of the Pigford settlement, Vilsack said there is "absolutely no proof" to back up his concerns about fraud.

Carl Horowitz, a project manager with the National Legal and Policy Center who has followed all the discrimination cases, described the Love and Garcia claims as "copycat suits" that would not have existed if not for Pigford. He criticized the claims as having "scant" documentation and said plaintiffs are just trying to strike while the government is in settlement mode.

"This is a classic case of hitting the lottery," he said.

Leading Democratic senators, meanwhile, are pressing the Obama administration to do more to resolve the claims of farmers in the outstanding legal cases.

Sens. Harry Reid, D-Nev.; Robert Menendez, D-N.J.; Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.; Mark Udall, D-Colo.; and Michael Bennet, D-Colo., wrote a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder last month expressing concern that the administration was proposing a claimant cap "that may be dramatically underestimated."

"We are concerned that the program that you have announced regarding Hispanic and female farmers will not meet your stated objectives of parity and adequate redress," they wrote.

Citing the Pigford case and the settlement with American Indians, who had claimed the government swindled them out of royalties from natural resources like gas and timber, the senators said the remaining set of minority farmers was "not receiving the same level of justice."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Bullshit.

Were things done wrong, sure, but reparations is bullshit. Go get a fucking job and quit bitching about what your dad, grand dad or great grand dad didn't get that they were supposedly entitled to.

fuckin a right
    WHOAOH! Hey you! Who said that? Baby how you been?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Fuck'em, that's the breaks. I had nothing to do with it, my father didn't, my grandfather didn't and it is the same for almost everyone. Everyone acts like all white people are where they are in life because their family benefited from the sweat equity of some other race.

Bullshit.

we're not talking about slave reparations or anything like that. We're talking about relatively recent deals that apparently showed clear violations of law.

Are you suggesting that if you are screwed over by a bank or a government agency that you should have no recourse to follow through and receive damages and costs incurred?

I'm in no way in favour of frivolous lawsuits and not in favour of paying descendents of slaves reparations but I am in favour of a legal system that helps protect individuals from being screwed over.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Typical! Wondering when I am going to get my reps for haven been driven out of what was once a nice neighborhood and part of the city of New Orleans. I and many others were forced out directly by the actions of black inhabitants that were put there by the great federal goverment and their wonderful wisdom. The place is a shit hole today and they are always trying to revitalize it and they never succeed. Stupid fuckes don't realize who is causing the issue. So, I want my money for having to relocate and the pain and suffering they caused me and many others who were crime victims and victims of their behavior. There, I am waiting.......Can I get a fucking lawyer?
    Last edited by pal1800; 12.03.10 at 12:12 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,115 Times in 8,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    we're not talking about slave reparations or anything like that. We're talking about relatively recent deals that apparently showed clear violations of law.

Are you suggesting that if you are screwed over by a bank or a government agency that you should have no recourse to follow through and receive damages and costs incurred?

I'm in no way in favour of frivolous lawsuits and not in favour of paying descendents of slaves reparations but I am in favour of a legal system that helps protect individuals from being screwed over.
    Because I think it is absolute bullshit that supposedly the USDA decided to not grant loans to applicants just because they were black.

I don't buy it and I used it as an opportunity to rant about reparations in general, including American Indians (which I could be defined as one, but fuck, I thought I was born American, not American Indian, but I guess I am missing out), and everyone else.

The US Government has a plethora of faults, but I am sorry, I just don't believe for an instant that the USDA denied helping or didn't help enough all the black farmers in the United States in the 1980's and 1990's.

Also, the original lawsuit settlement had 400 farmers at $50,000 a pop, which is $200 million, how in the hell did we get to $4.5 Billion? And what is the point of having a legal settlement for $200 million when it is going to grow into $4.5 Billion? I would love to get into whatever growth model that is, it grew at almost the pace of the Congressional Pension Fund.

And even if they were discriminating, do we really think that the USDA would continue the practice after a legal case and settlement? I don't even think our government is that stupid.

But I guess it also goes to my deep down belief that it is not the responsibility of the US government to make sure that everyone stays in business, and I am tired of bailing out everyone and their mother whose business doesn't work out.

Rant no. 2 over, I have officially derailed my first thread with my governmental/financial leanings, my apologies!
    Last edited by Dave's Dreidel; 12.06.10 at 05:13 AM.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Bullshit.

amen and thank you!!!
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Because I think it is absolute bullshit that supposedly the USDA decided to not grant loans to applicants just because they were black.

I don't buy it and I used it as an opportunity to rant about reparations in general, including American Indians (which I could be defined as one, but fuck, I thought I was born American, not American Indian, but I guess I am missing out), and everyone else.

The US Government has a plethora of faults, but I am sorry, I just don't believe for an instant that the USDA denied helping or didn't help enough all the black farmers in the United States in the 1980's and 1990's.

Also, the original lawsuit settlement had 400 farmers at $50,000 a pop, which is $200 million, how in the hell did we get to $4.5 Billion? And what is the point of having a legal settlement for $200 million when it is going to grow into $4.5 Billion? I would love to get into whatever growth model that is, it grew at almost the pace of the Congressional Pension Fund.

And even if they were discriminating, do we really think that the USDA would continue the practice after a legal case and settlement? I don't even think our government is that stupid.

But I guess it also goes to my deep down belief that it is not the responsibility of the US government to make sure that everyone stays in business, and I am tired of bailing out everyone and their mother whose business doesn't work out.

Rant no. 2 over, I have officially derailed my first thread with my governmental/financial leanings, my apologies!
    I know very little about this story but so far as I can tell, the bulk of the money is going to the indians...which is why I think it's so stupid they're getting 2nd billing in all the reporting.

You're spot on that it's not the government's role to make sure everyone stays in business but it is the role of the government to ensure laws are followed and that people are protected against breach of contract as well as have as fair and equal a shot at funding sources as anyone else.

If the allegations are correct and our court system did a fair job of trying and judging the case, I see no problem with people getting made whole, their legal fees and paid a few bucks for the hassle.

You would expect the same thing if you walked into a court with such a claim.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Far beyond the anticipated 2,000 affected farmers, 22,505 "Track A" applications were heard and decided upon. I believe this is why it is in the billions.

I'm not big on reparations but after the housing meltdown, it became painfully obvious that racism is still very much alive and well in the US. The were large numbers of minorities who were offered the adjustable rate mortgages when they should have been offered fixed interest rates. I would not be surprised if this happened. To what extend, it is hard to tell and I doubt all 22,505 applicates were discriminated against.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

George W. Bush hates black people.................

Bet Mike wishes like hell he would have stayed in bed that day! Love his reaction.

HH<----Maybe in 2011, the US of A will spend up to a Million Gazillion Trillion Billion dollars on something silly! I want some shoes!----------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,349 Posts

it pisses me off that courts award such huge damages creating the mindset that every slight you may experience in your life is an opportunity for a big payout.....maybe not as big a one as this but 5,000 here, 10,000 there....eventually it comes out of someone's pocket and in this case, it's the tax payer

why can't courts and juries see that these awards are FUCKING INSANE and award something more in line with actual damages

the richer the defendent, the more they think it takes to hurt them via punitive damages...and no one is richer than the government, cause they print the money!

except it the taxpayers money so we have to pay for the stupidity of a couple of bureaucrats ..... who have probably moved on to jobs in the private sector that pay them infinitely more

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.05.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    Far beyond the anticipated 2,000 affected farmers, 22,505 "Track A" applications were heard and decided upon. I believe this is why it is in the billions.

I'm not big on reparations but after the housing meltdown, it became painfully obvious that racism is still very much alive and well in the US. The were large numbers of minorities who were offered the adjustable rate mortgages when they should have been offered fixed interest rates. I would not be surprised if this happened. To what extend, it is hard to tell and I doubt all 22,505 applicates were discriminated against.
    Can't compare that to the USDA.
    Completely different set up of people making the decisions.

If some black guy ripped me off on a car at a dealership, I can't claim racism in a denied loan from a bank from a black banker because I think the car salesman was racist, if that makes sense.