Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Default Dave's voice, Sammy and the Wabo's and Eddie's backyard band

I was just catching up on about 2 years of van halen. Kind of a weird thread, but I couldn't help but notice how great Sammy still sounds live with Michael Anthony even at his age. Chickenfoot. The Wabo's. Sammy hasn't lost a thing. His lyrics are still cheesy but he sounds great. How good Eddie sounded just having fun playing with a bunch of younger guys in his backyard, and how bad David Lee Roth's voice sounds and how forced the reunion sounds to me with Eddie's son on base. Am I the only one who thinks this? Watching Eddie play with those guys in his backyard i couldn't help but think the frontman sounded better than Dave. His movements were more spot on and it just sounded fresh. Even though Eddie looked terrible physically, something about the style just worked for me. He wasn't trying to be anything else except himself and just let loose a bit. Having younger people around him also helped bring that energy back for me. I have to throw in Eddie's appearance on two and half men as well. Terrible show but I thought it was great to see Eddie just having fun. Guitar Hero. Pretty woman redone. There's actually a bunch of other stuff out there and neat stuff that has cropped up.

There has to be something good that comes out of all of this? Eddie has always been a perfectionist to a fault. I wish Eddie would just get back to being himself. What I find interesting is Dave is really the only guy who just seems to washed up here and has lost his talent. I don't think Dave was ever that talented that's the thing. It was his style and he's lost it. So what good is he? Same with Wolfgang. What style does that kid have?

The original VH to me was Eddie and just the style of all these guys that just hit at the right time. Van Hagar was more about talent. I've always thought Hagar is a much more talented singer live than David Lee Roth. Van Halen with David Lee Roth was just great though.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 12.01.10 at 09:15 AM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    I was just catching up on about 2 years of van halen. Kind of a weird thread, but I couldn't help but notice how great Sammy still sounds live with Michael Anthony even at his age. Chickenfoot. The Wabo's. Sammy hasn't lost a thing. His lyrics are still cheesy but he sounds great. How good Eddie sounded just having fun playing with a bunch of younger guys in his backyard, and how bad David Lee Roth's voice sounds and how forced the reunion sounds to me with Eddie's son on base. Am I the only one who thinks this? Watching Eddie play with those guys in his backyard i couldn't help but think the frontman sounded better than Dave. His movements were more spot on and it just sounded fresh. Even though Eddie looked terrible physically, something about the style just worked for me. He wasn't trying to be anything else except himself and just let loose a bit. Having younger people around him also helped bring that energy back for me. I have to throw in Eddie's appearance on two and half men as well. Terrible show but I thought it was great to see Eddie just having fun. Guitar Hero. Pretty woman redone. There's actually a bunch of other stuff out there and neat stuff that has cropped up.

There has to be something good that comes out of all of this? Eddie has always been a perfectionist to a fault. I wish Eddie would just get back to being himself. What I find interesting is Dave is really the only guy who just seems to washed up here and has lost his talent. I don't think Dave was ever that talented that's the thing. It was his style and he's lost it. So what good is he? Same with Wolfgang. What style does that kid have?

The original VH to me was Eddie and just the style of all these guys that just hit at the right time. Van Hagar was more about talent. I've always thought Hagar is a much more talented singer live than David Lee Roth. Van Halen with David Lee Roth was just great though.
    We all know Sammy has a greater vocal range than Dave. I think Dave has a cool voice and presence to him. I don't think Dave is "washed up", just older now. I agree about your points on Sam. He still sounds amazing after all these years.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Two and a Half Men is awesome.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    Two and a Half Men is awesome.
    I agree! It hasn't been as good the past couple years, but as far as sitcoms go, it's had some of the best writing there is, and it's one of the only shows where the kid Angus T. Jones, is watchable and entertaining.
    Back on topic. I agree with a lot of point on the original post. Hagar is a better singer hands down, but Dave is a huge showman. The backyard party, ehhh....I actually felt disheartened seeing Eddie like that. he was so disheveled, and out of sorts, but you're right, he was having fun, and like it or not, it was a sign that he was coming out of that hermetic state, though he had a hell of a way to go.

I have to give props to Sam. He's up there in age, and can still belt it out and stay relevant. His lyrics have been critiqued to death, but give him credit for still being out there tearing it up.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Been gone awhile... huh?

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Is Ed's son in the military or did he just hit a single?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

I dunno, I saw Dave on the 08 tour here in Dallas (Eddies B-day show) and he sounded great. Even the YouTube vids from that tour, Dave sounds great. Of course he doesn't sound as good as he did in the 80's, but he sounded better during that tour than he has in a long time.

Sam does sound great right now, and even better now than the UFB, LTS, IAT stuff.

As far as Eddie is concerned, he sounded great when I asw him in 08. His tone wasn't the best, but he was great during the second half of the tour (even with his hand injury - his hand was bandaged up big time when I saw him) then he did during the "backyard jam" you mention.

According to Dweezil and John 5, Eddie is sounding pretty damn good now.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,389 Times in 763 Posts

The only valid point is that this reunion sounds forced.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

No different than The Police

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think Eddie is the one who has lost a step as far as his talent. Ive seen some stuff from the 07 tour where Eddie is just atrocious. Same on the 04 tour too. Its hard not to cringe when he fucks up during a song, because they usually arent minor fuck ups, they're pretty big fuck ups. One song or two is ok here and there if he doesnt screw up too bad, but it seems like he fucks up on damn near every song these days. Hopefully it'll be a little better on the next tour.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    <Snippo>.. How good Eddie sounded just having fun playing with a bunch of younger guys in his backyard, and how bad David Lee Roth's voice sounds and how forced the reunion sounds to me with Eddie's son on base. Am I the only one who thinks this? Watching Eddie play with those guys in his backyard i couldn't help but think the frontman sounded better than Dave. His movements were more spot on and it just sounded fresh. Even though Eddie looked terrible physically, something about the style just worked for me. He wasn't trying to be anything else except himself and just let loose a bit. Having younger people around him also helped bring that energy back for me. <snippo>.
    Yup.....having young guys around him at the Sacred Sin clusterfuck was the reason Ed had energy......nothing chemically or pharmaceutically induced at all.

And you liked the way Ed sounded at that backyard gig?
    Last edited by Glenninaus; 12.01.10 at 05:28 PM.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:54 AM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

I actually thought Dave's voice sounded pretty amazing on the last tour (no qualifiers here - it was simply very good!). If Van Halen ever produced a new CD - and Dave sounded that good on it - I'd be pretty pleased.

Dave and Sam are two very different entertainers and are equally strong in different ways.

Ya - some of Sam's lyrics have some cheese to them - however you listen to Right Now, Don't Tell me what Love Can Do, Eagles fly, etc. etc. etc. - they're pretty awesome.

Some of Dave's lyrics are shitty as well - however Damn Good is still one of my favorite tunes. I really do enjoy Dave's voice as well.

Ultimately, if Dave is making music w/ Ed (sorry, his later solo stuff was terrible post DLR band) and Sam is making music w/ Chickenfoot - the world is a pretty good place.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:38 AM
    Liked 1,618 Times in 995 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    No different than The Police
    Well. A little difference. The Police sounded GOOD despite Sting and Stewart's mutual sticks-up-their-asses.

Plus Sting wasn't faking his bass parts.

In all fairness, though, I agree with the aforementioned...Dave was far and away the highlight of that last tour, he sounded better vocally than he had since the 'Sheep tour...maybe even BEFORE that. Beyond a doubt Dave held up both shows I attended all by his lonesome. Ed was no help, the kid was non existent, and Al was just bangin' out the motions.

Dave was absolutely the man holding the fort down. He WANTED it to work. I'll give the man his due for sure.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post

Dave was absolutely the man holding the fort down. He WANTED it to work. I'll give the man his due for sure.
    Played it safe and slow and never fell on his ass. A good sport.

Next.

Favorite VH Song

Unchained!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts

The difference between the 2007 and the 2008 Eddie is huge. I hope he keeps like he was on 2008, not only for playing purposes, but I'm talking about his health.
    He looked so weak/sick until the end of 2007 - no one can deny that - if you don't know nothing about guitar and have zero concept on how to rate his playing you can use the common sense and see the difference on his appearance.
    How many time do we have until he fells off the wagon again? Was 2007 the last time? At his age, life it's pretty dangerous the way he was doing... in and out of rehab...