Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 6,685 Times in 3,707 Posts

Default Feds: Somali-born teen plotted car-bombing in Ore.

scary shit

PORTLAND, Ore. – Federal agents in a sting operation arrested a Somali-born teenager just as he tried blowing up a van he believed was loaded with explosives at a crowded Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Portland, authorities said.

The bomb was an elaborate fake supplied by the agents and the public was never in danger, authorities said.

Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, was arrested at 5:40 p.m. Friday just after he dialed a cell phone that he thought would set off the blast but instead brought federal agents and police swooping down on him.

Yelling "Allahu Akbar!" — Arabic for "God is great!" — Mohamud tried to kick agents and police after he was taken into custody, according to prosecutors.

"The threat was very real," said Arthur Balizan, special agent in charge of the FBI in Oregon. "Our investigation shows that Mohamud was absolutely committed to carrying out an attack on a very grand scale."

White House spokesman Nick Shapiro said Saturday that President Barack Obama was aware of the FBI operation before Friday's arrest. Shapiro said Obama was assured that the FBI was in full control of the operation and that the public was not in danger.

"The events of the past 24 hours underscore the necessity of remaining vigilant against terrorism here and abroad," Shapiro said. "The president thanks the FBI, the Department of Justice and the rest of our law enforcement, intelligence and Homeland Security professionals who have once again served with extraordinary skill and resolve and with the commitment that their enormous responsibilities demand."

A law enforcement official, who was not authorized to discuss the investigation publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that federal agents began investigating the suspect after receiving a tip from someone who was concerned about the teenager. The official declined to provide more detail about the relationship between Mohamud and that source.

The FBI affidavit that outlined the investigation alleges that Mohamud planned the attack for months, at one point mailing bomb components to FBI operatives, whom he believed were assembling the device.

According to the official, Mohamud hatched the plan on his own and without any instruction from a foreign terrorist organization, and he planned the details, including where to park the van for the maximum number of casualties.

The affidavit said Mohamud was warned several times about the seriousness of his plan, that women and children could be killed, and that he could back out, but he told agents: "Since I was 15 I thought about all this;" and "It's gonna be a fireworks show ... a spectacular show."

Mohamud, a naturalized U.S. citizen living in Corvallis, was charged with attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison. A court appearance was set for Monday.

Authorities allowed the plot to proceed in order to build up enough evidence to charge the suspect with attempt.

The alleged plot in Portland follows a string of terrorist attack planning by U.S. citizens or residents, including a Times Square plot in which Faisal Shahzad pleaded guilty to trying to set off a car bomb at a bustling street corner. U.S. authorities had no intelligence about Shahzad's plot until the smoking car turned up in Manhattan.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

All I can say is thank God they are getting these guys before they commit these acts. Seems to be a lot of them lately. I'm not sure if there are just more or it is just being reported more publicly.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Kudos to the FBI.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 3,114 Times in 1,825 Posts

Premium Member

Unfortunately, if you continue to think of this is a Muslim problem, you're labeled a racist. Geez, wake up people. You can still understand that there will be terrorists that aren't Muslim, and that these people are actually Muslim extremists, while at the same time understanding that there is a Muslim problem here.

Omar Jamal is first secretary of the Somali Mission to the United Nations. He, upon getting the post, pledged to save the country from al-Qaida (http://www.startribune.com/local/70285777.html). And what is his concern after this act? That the FBI lured this dude into doing this and/or that his rights were violated (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101129/..._car_bomb_plot).

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    All I can say is thank God they are getting these guys before they commit these acts. Seems to be a lot of them lately. I'm not sure if there are just more or it is just being reported more publicly.
    They do get most of these people. We have also been lucky, though. The shoe bomb, underwear bomb, and Times Square bomb all malfunctioned.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Glad it didn't go off/wasn't real. I was down there with my kids that night.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Glad it didn't go off/wasn't real. I was down there with my kids that night.
    Oh my gosh, the mere thought of what could have happened must be weighing on you. I can't imagine. Makes you want to never leave the house.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 4,799 Times in 2,450 Posts

Premium Member

I agree that it seems that the vast majority of terror related plots involve people who seem to worship Islam. I mean when was the last time you heard of a bunch of pissed off Swedes deciding to blow something up?

Of course since other religions have done terrible things for their god or there are outstanding Muslims out there, we have to dissavow that that there is a pattern developing.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    Oh my gosh, the mere thought of what could have happened must be weighing on you. I can't imagine. Makes you want to never leave the house.
    Nah, I can't live life like that.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I agree that it seems that the vast majority of terror related plots involve people who seem to worship Islam. I mean when was the last time you heard of a bunch of pissed off Swedes deciding to blow something up?

Of course since other religions have done terrible things for their god or there are outstanding Muslims out there, we have to dissavow that that there is a pattern developing.
    Wait are you saying that we do need to act as if there is no pattern or are you lamenting that we already have?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Premium Member

Well I am a realist. I know that every Haitian hooker with a heroin problem doesn't have HIV, but if I am going to take a chance getting my leg over on one, I'm going to wear a condom.

I don't see how we can try this whole blanket approach to terror. I look at it this way. What would happen if your community was struck by a child molester and the molested kids had a good description of the guy. Lets say they said he was a young white male who drove around in a van that said "Free Candy" on the side.

If the cops were like our government, they would be looking for any male who happened to be driving a car. Maybe they would target African American men who are driving Escalades. Common sense is that you start looking at Asian males who own vans don't you think?

Last Online

Premium Member

Well I am a realist. I know that every Haitian hooker with a heroin problem doesn't have HIV, but if I am going to take a chance getting my leg over on one, I'm going to wear a condom.

I don't see how we can try this whole blanket approach to terror. I look at it this way. What would happen if your community was struck by a child molester and the molested kids had a good description of the guy. Lets say they said he was a young white male who drove around in a van that said "Free Candy" on the side.

If the cops were like our government, they would be looking for any male who happened to be driving a car. Maybe they would target African American men who are driving Escalades. Common sense is that you start looking at Asian males who own vans don't you think?
    I agree that prioritizing and profiling makes much more sense. But I am not following the logic on looking for Asian males driving vans when the descriptions say that it is a White male...?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I agree that prioritizing and profiling makes much more sense. But I am not following the logic on looking for Asian males driving vans when the descriptions say that it is a White male...?
    I was coming down off of some Crystal Meth when typing. Actually I initially had a different train of thought and apparently didn't delete all of what I originally typed.

I know profiling is a dangerous thing and hate the idea of it. However I also don't think that a "one size fits all" approach is really effective. I mean you might as well do nothing with how we operate. It's like the illegal immigration issue. I understand that there are illegals from European, Asian and African countries however how come every time a politician is busted for having an illegal nanny, they are hispanic?

Last Online

Premium Member

I was coming down off of some Crystal Meth when typing. Actually I initially had a different train of thought and apparently didn't delete all of what I originally typed.

I know profiling is a dangerous thing and hate the idea of it. However I also don't think that a "one size fits all" approach is really effective. I mean you might as well do nothing with how we operate. It's like the illegal immigration issue. I understand that there are illegals from European, Asian and African countries however how come every time a politician is busted for having an illegal nanny, they are hispanic?
    I mentioned in one of these threads that the bigger the haystack, the harder it is to find the needle. Whether it is screening everyone or adding hundreds of thousands of names to the no-fly list, the government is incredibly inept at this and it only gets harder the higher the numbers.

Israel's profiling involves actions/behaviors. But I'd bet people would "feel" less safe here with that style.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Israel's profiling involves actions/behaviors. But I'd bet people would "feel" less safe here with that style.
    The Israeli's also screen significantly fewer people that we do here in the USA.

I hope they hang the son of Bitch by his Islamic Extremist balls, the fucker deserves nothing less than to die a painful death, not life in prison.