Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:54 AM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

Default What amazing deals did you get this black Friday?

I'm a Canuck - so didn't participate - but I keep hearing about all these rockstar deals! So, was it worth the chaos?

What deal did you get? Where did you get it?
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

I hate Black Friday, I'd sooner pay more money for shit than deal with a billion people killing each other over the last iPod on earth. I can't imagine caring enough to get up at 2 AM to do that shit, or sleep outside. People are nuts.

With that said, my daughter stayed at my parents' after Thanksgiving last night for a sleepover. Any my wife had the Toys 'R Us ad from the paper and kept saying we should go over at like 10 last night when they open and get her some of the toys she wanted, they were like 50% off. And of course I'm like, "I just want to go home and go to sleep, f that, I don't want to deal with it, no no no." I talk to my mom and my wife and they keep trying to convince me just to go, we really can save on the toys, blah blah. So I relent and I decide I'll go.

So we get there at 10, hard to park, but not impossible. Start walking towards the store, and I am not kidding, the line to get in is like a mile long. There must have been 3,000 people in line, and it was cold too...California cold at like 40 degrees....believe me that's cold for a So Cal night. So needless to say I wasn't standing in line all night for that...so we didn't go. But I tried, as against it as I was...the toy deals were good, and it would have been nice to save some money on all the toys she wants. I guess online they have deals too, not as good as the store though.

But I can't imagine people finding anything fun about Black Friday. God what a ridiculous hassle.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

ToysRUs opened at 10p last night and they had some deals I wanted to get for the kiddies. I got there at 10:30p thinking the first wave would be in the store and leaving when I arrived. It was chaos. They had a line 15 people wide that stretched for at least a quarter mile of people that were still waiting to get in the store. No freaking way I was going to get involved with that! I went home and logged on and sure enough I got all the items online for the BF price. A lot of people don't realize that most of those places (not all) offer the same deals online.

3 years ago I scored a 65" DLP 1080 TV for $999.99 from Best Buy. I haven't seen it go for that low since. There were dozens of people camping out since Tuesday for it. I bought it on Thanksgiving Day online while those people camped out in the rain.

It's never worth the chaos provided you can get the same deal online and shipped for free to the store for you to pick up later.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs Meanie View Post
    ToysRUs opened at 10p last night and they had some deals I wanted to get for the kiddies. I got there at 10:30p thinking the first wave would be in the store and leaving when I arrived. It was chaos. They had a line 15 people wide that stretched for at least a quarter mile of people that were still waiting to get in the store. No freaking way I was going to get involved with that! I went home and logged on and sure enough I got all the items online for the BF price. A lot of people don't realize that most of those places (not all) offer the same deals online.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA did you read my post before you posted that? LOL.

I know we got there right at 10, figured we'd walk right in.

The prices were the same online? Really my wife said some were different. I'm gonna go look now.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

No Black Friday deals for me. It's a college football day. Shopping can wait.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

The only way I would stand in a line with 3000 people in it would be to see a true reunion concert with all our boys in it with one set Dave one set Sam. Having said that I will get everyone gift cards as usual this year. Time for the lights on the site Brett.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Was smart this year did 90% of my shopping starting around october and the only thing I stood in line for today was at the autoparts store trying to get a radiator. Needless to say no black friday deals on parts at Autozone

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHA did you read my post before you posted that? LOL.

I know we got there right at 10, figured we'd walk right in.

The prices were the same online? Really my wife said some were different. I'm gonna go look now.
    It was a mish-mash. I got 2 of the items I wanted at BF prices online but had to pay shipping (which was nominal because they were small). One item I wanted was in-store only and the final one wasn't at the BF price. It kind of sucks that you have to "hope for the best" online but I know I'll never try what I tried last night again. It was insane. The 2 items I got online were the ones I really wanted anyways so I was pretty happy. The other 2 would have been nice throw-ins.
    Last edited by Bugs Meanie; 11.26.10 at 11:43 AM.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I hate Black Friday, I'd sooner pay more money for shit than deal with a billion people killing each other over the last iPod on earth. I can't imagine caring enough to get up at 2 AM to do that shit, or sleep outside. People are nuts.

With that said, my daughter stayed at my parents' after Thanksgiving last night for a sleepover. Any my wife had the Toys 'R Us ad from the paper and kept saying we should go over at like 10 last night when they open and get her some of the toys she wanted, they were like 50% off. And of course I'm like, "I just want to go home and go to sleep, f that, I don't want to deal with it, no no no." I talk to my mom and my wife and they keep trying to convince me just to go, we really can save on the toys, blah blah. So I relent and I decide I'll go.

So we get there at 10, hard to park, but not impossible. Start walking towards the store, and I am not kidding, the line to get in is like a mile long. There must have been 3,000 people in line, and it was cold too...California cold at like 40 degrees....believe me that's cold for a So Cal night. So needless to say I wasn't standing in line all night for that...so we didn't go. But I tried, as against it as I was...the toy deals were good, and it would have been nice to save some money on all the toys she wants. I guess online they have deals too, not as good as the store though.

But I can't imagine people finding anything fun about Black Friday. God what a ridiculous hassle.
    ROFLMAO, man...REALLY. I feel ya. It's just utterly INSANE anymore. SO glad I don't have to do 'The Friday' anymore. When I woke up at 5:30...FOR WORK, I was reminded of such. 50% off of MARKED-UP prices? PLEASE...

That being said, it says a LOT about folks that will get up at that hour of the NIGHT to stand in line for such deals...LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I work in the retail vertical at my company so I work with a lot of these stores...one of my contacts just sent me this link. Have a watch. I don't know how badly you need to save $75 on a TV but this is just insane!!!!

http://thedailywh.at/post/1692484898...-it-wouldnt-be
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

People suck and videos of this stuff is proof.

I could see trying to get a good deal on toys for my kids if that was the only way I could afford it. I'm not wealthy, but I'm not hurting either. I'll just hope for a reasonable sale, and buy things I can afford.

People with plenty of bucks in the bank risking life and limb... getting into fights or shouting matches... to save a few dollars is ridiculous. Cheapskate morons.
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    I work in the retail vertical at my company so I work with a lot of these stores...one of my contacts just sent me this link. Have a watch. I don't know how badly you need to save $75 on a TV but this is just insane!!!!

http://thedailywh.at/post/1692484898...-it-wouldnt-be
    We're a VIRUS WITH SHOES. That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen...REALLY.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    The only way I would stand in a line with 3000 people in it would be to see a true reunion concert with all our boys in it with one set Dave one set Sam. Having said that I will get everyone gift cards as usual this year. Time for the lights on the site Brett.
    Ditto that. ^
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    We're a VIRUS WITH SHOES. That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen...REALLY.
    Ditto... theyre worse than animals fighting over scraps of food. I wouldnt embarrass or humiliate myself.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Actually, last year was the first year the wife dragged me out - we were at Kohl's at 5am to get a specific Barbie airplane thing for my daughter, LOL. Then we went to Best Buy later that morning just to see what was up - the store had just gone in near my house. We ended up in a line to get the door buster deals that people who had gotten tickets never picked up. We were kinda like, whatever, we'll see what's there. We ended up with a netbook for my son - had no intention whatsoever to buy one, but we stumbled into a good deal.

This year, we needed a laptop - the one I kept from my last job just shit the bed, so I only have my current work laptop. Best Buy had one of those door buster deals for a Toshiba for $190. They opened at 5am. The next cheapest I saw a laptop with the specs of that Toshiba was $300, and those were door busters at other stores. So, as we're going to bed at midnight last night, I decided to take a ride over to see what the line was. At 1 am, as it was starting to rain, temps in the high 30's, the line was around the corner of the building. I went home, LOL. Not a chance.

A friend of mine that was at our house for Thanksgiving dinner wanted the same laptop - she went to the Best Buy near her house at 10pm and was the 5th person in line. She had her daughter with her, they stayed all night. They got TWO tickets for the laptop, and bought one for me. So I got it and didn't even have to go stand in line!

I got about an hour of sleep, as we were up at 3:30 am to go to Kohls, which opened at 3. The wife wanted to get my son a gold chain, we've been looking for one for him for a while now. Got a great deal on one, saved over $100. For that cash, I'll get my ass up.

Swung through Target looking for something specific, but the lines inside for the registers wrapped around the interior of the building. We'd have been in that line for over an hour, easily. Screw that, we left.

Then we were at Sports Authority at 5am when it opened (we pulled in at 4:55), saved $40 on a Red Sox jersey for my son, he'd outgrown his Schilling shirt. Got him a Pedroia shirt.

Then home by 6am, I went to bed, slept until about 9:30 or so.

So, basically, we ended up buying a couple of things we needed, and saved probably $150. To me, that's worth losing a little sleep. We didn't stand in any lines, it was just getting up that early. We also probably saved over $100 on the laptop - if I hadn't gotten that one, I'd have bought one for $300 that wasn't as good. So, overall, Black Friday saved us over $250.