Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Default The Koreas fire artillery

Wonderful. From the BBC.

Koreas in border artillery clashLatest news
    South Korea says it has returned fire after North Korea fired dozens of artillery shells at one of its border islands, killing two marines.

The South's military was placed on its highest non-wartime alert after the shells landed on Yeonpyeong island.

The North said it did not fire first in the incident. Two South Korean marines and four civilians were also injured.

Analysts say this is one of the most serious clashes since the Korean War ended without a peace treaty in 1953.

There have been occasional cross-border incidents since, but the latest comes at a time of rising regional tension.

North Korea's reclusive leader Kim Jong-il is thought to be ill and trying to ensure the succession of his youngest son.

On Saturday, North Korea also showed off to an American scientist what it claimed was a new uranium enrichment facility.

The move prompted the US to rule out the resumption of six-party talks on nuclear disarmament that Pyongyang abandoned two years ago.

'Unpardonable'

A spokesman for South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said North Korean shells had started falling in the waters off the island of Yeonpyeong at 1434 local time(0534 GMT).

At least 50 landed directly on the island, most hitting a South Korean military base there.

The South's military immediately fired back some 80 shells in self-defence, Col Lee Bung-woo added.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nobody needed any reminder of the volatility of the relations between North and South Korea, nor of the sensitivity of their disputed maritime border. In March, a South Korean warship was sunk by an explosion and an investigation indicated strongly that the North was responsible.

The shelling of Yeonpyeong fits into the same pattern. From the North Korean viewpoint, this is about establishing deterrence over the South and defending its interests. But it is also a wider demonstration to the world of the North's power and an indication of some kind of political transition.

Quite what is going on in Pyongyang is impossible to say. Nonetheless, there are strong indications that Kim Jong-il has designated his son, Kim Jong-un as his successor. This opens up a period of uncertainty and unpredictability and just this kind of incident is exactly what observers most feared.
    A resident on the island told the AFP news agency that dozens of houses were damaged by the barrage, while television pictures showed plumes of smoke rising above the island.

"Houses and mountains are on fire and people are evacuating. You can't see very well because of plumes of smoke," a witness on the island told YTN television station. "People are frightened to death."

Local government spokesman Yoon Kwan-seok said the shelling lasted for about an hour and then stopped abruptly.

"The whole of Yeonpyeong island was blacked out following the North Korean attacks," he was quoted as saying by the Yonhap news agency. "All of the island's 1,600-odd residents were evacuated to a shelter."

The South Korean military has also deployed fighter jets to Yeonpyeong, which lies about 3km (1.8 miles) south of the disputed inter-Korean maritime border and 100km (60 miles) west of the Korean Peninsula.

Later, South Korean President Lee Myung-bak warned North Korea that his country would "sternly retaliate against any further provocations".

"North Korea's shelling of Yeonpyeong island constitutes a clear armed provocation. Furthermore, its reckless shelling of civilian targets is unpardonable," his office said in a statement.

"North Korean authorities must take responsibility."

But North Korea's supreme military command blamed South Korea for the incident.

"The South Korean enemy, despite our repeated warnings, committed reckless military provocations of firing artillery shells into our maritime territory near Yeonpyeong island beginning 1300 (0400 GMT)," the state-run KCNA news agency quoted it as saying.

The North would "continue to make merciless military attacks with no hesitation if the South Korean enemy dares to invade our sea territory by 0.001mm", it warned.

"It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt."

It did not say whether North Korea suffered any casualties or damage.

'Belligerent action'

A spokesman for the Chinese foreign ministry said that both countries should "do more to contribute to peace".

"What's imperative now is to restart six-party talks as soon as possible," Hong Lei told a news conference in Beijing.

Japan's Prime Minister, Naoto Kan, said he had ordered ministers to prepare for any eventuality.

Many residents of Yeonpyeong fled the island by ferry after the bombardment "I ordered them to make preparations so that we can react firmly, should any unexpected event occur," he said after an emergency cabinet meeting in Tokyo. "I ordered them to do their utmost to gather information."

The White House strongly condemned the attack and called on North Korea to halt its "belligerent action".

The BBC's John Sudworth in Seoul says news of the incident has rattled international financial markets, with both the Korean won and Japanese yen falling.

The Bank of Korea said it would hold an emergency meeting to assess the possible market impact.

This western maritime border, also known as the Northern Limit Line, has been the scene of numerous clashes in the past.

In March, a South Korean warship went down near the border with the loss of 46 lives. International investigators say a North Korean torpedo sank the ship, although Pyongyang has denied any role in the incident.

Since then relations between the two neighbours have remained tense.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

I wonder if they played "Hells March" while they attacked?

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

I guess the Dog Faced Dictator wants to start WW3 before the holidays.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I've been doing some more reading up on what's been happening, and I am surprised at the SK authorities actions.

Don't get me wrong - I am no fan of Kim jong Dong sickfuck and his horrific cult of personality and what he has done to the people of his country, but as far as I can tell, SK has admitted to war games exercises near the island, which is only a few kilometres from the disputed unilateral water border, which again, is extremely close to the NK shore. Not only that, but they have also admitted to live test firing artillery only shortly before the NK shells landed on the island.

Maybe (almost certainly) NK fired in anger first, but it seems obvious (and like I said, as far as I can tell, been admitted) that SK did indeed fire first, though they say they fired West, not North at the mainland.. If that isn't a little bit provocative I don't know what is, especially considering that NK had contacted the south to complain about the exercises.

It will be a good day when this disgusting NK regime collapses, but the South was either being ignorant or trying to provoke a response. Since the unveiling of a secret and very advanced uranium enrichment facility (said by a US scientist to be for civilian purposes, but easily convertible to weapons use) perhaps the South really was trying to provoke the North to put further international condemnation and pressure on Donkey Kong, before he adds uranium atomic weapons to his existing 6 or more plutonium ones.

If that really is true, this is an extremely high stakes game of poker.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,340 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Fuck em. Let em kill eachother. Hyundai sucks anyway.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 797 Times in 382 Posts

Premium Member

Shit's pretty crazy
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

So, who fired that missile off the coast of California a week ago. Was it a US sub or a Chinese sub? Could it have been a warning shot while our President was touring Asia, or could it have been the Chinese saying hello. I don't buy for a second that it was a jet contrail either.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 797 Times in 382 Posts

Premium Member

Default California mystery missile

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    So, who fired that missile off the coast of California a week ago. Was it a US sub or a Chinese sub? Could it have been a warning shot while our President was touring Asia, or could it have been the Chinese saying hello. I don't buy for a second that it was a jet contrail either.
    lol yeah. It's an airplane.
    Pentagon's full of shit.

So United Airlines is evidently launching flights vertically out of the ocean these days.

Something funny going on there. Really does (or should) make one wonder who's launching missiles from submarines off of our coast.

Good raw video

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    I've been doing some more reading up on what's been happening, and I am surprised at the SK authorities actions.

Don't get me wrong - I am no fan of Kim jong Dong sickfuck and his horrific cult of personality and what he has done to the people of his country, but as far as I can tell, SK has admitted to war games exercises near the island, which is only a few kilometres from the disputed unilateral water border, which again, is extremely close to the NK shore. Not only that, but they have also admitted to live test firing artillery only shortly before the NK shells landed on the island.

Maybe (almost certainly) NK fired in anger first, but it seems obvious (and like I said, as far as I can tell, been admitted) that SK did indeed fire first, though they say they fired West, not North at the mainland.. If that isn't a little bit provocative I don't know what is, especially considering that NK had contacted the south to complain about the exercises.

It will be a good day when this disgusting NK regime collapses, but the South was either being ignorant or trying to provoke a response. Since the unveiling of a secret and very advanced uranium enrichment facility (said by a US scientist to be for civilian purposes, but easily convertible to weapons use) perhaps the South really was trying to provoke the North to put further international condemnation and pressure on Donkey Kong, before he adds uranium atomic weapons to his existing 6 or more plutonium ones.

I'm hardly an expert on North and South Korean history and political dynamics but I can't imagine a government being THAT stupid as to do those things and not know they were asking for such an act. I'm inclined to believe they were hoping they'd get shelled so they could put more pressure on North Korea...as you say, a very very high stakes game.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

U.S. Sends Aircraft Carrier for Joint Exercises With South Korea After Deadly Attack

A U.S. aircraft carrier strike group set off for Korean waters Wednesday after President Obama pledged America would stand "shoulder to shoulder" with South Korea and stage joint military exercises in response to what the White House branded a provocative, outrageous attack by North Korea on its neighbor.

Obama called South Korean President Lee Myung-bak Tuesday night, saying the U.S. would work with the international community to strongly condemn the attack that killed the two South Koreans and injured many more.

The White House said the two presidents agreed to hold combined military exercises and enhanced training in the days ahead to continue the close security cooperation between the two countries.

The nuclear-powered USS George Washington carrier strike group, which carries 75 warplanes and has a crew of over 6,000, left a naval base south of Tokyo and will join exercises with South Korea from Sunday to the following Wednesday, U.S. officials in Seoul told Reuters.

"This exercise is defensive in nature," U.S. Forces Korea said in a statement. "While planned well before yesterday's unprovoked artillery attack, it demonstrates the strength of the ROK (South Korea)-U.S. alliance and our commitment to regional stability through deterrence."

An administration official said Tuesday evening that U.S. officials in Washington and in Beijing were appealing strongly to China to condemn the attack by arguing that it was an act that threatened the stability of the entire region, not just the Korean peninsula. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

"President Obama said that North Korea must stop its provocative actions, which will only lead to further isolation, and fully abide by the terms of the armistice agreement and its obligations under international law," the statement said.

Working to head off any escalation, the U.S. did not reposition any of its 29,000 troops in the South or make other military moves after North Korea fired salvos of shells into the island, setting off an artillery duel between the two sides.

The president, speaking to ABC News, would not speculate when asked about military options.

"South Korea is our ally. It has been since the Korean war," Obama said in his first comments about the North Korean shelling of a South Korean island early Tuesday. "And we strongly affirm our commitment to defend South Korea as part of that alliance."

The U.S. has relatively few options when dealing with the Pyongyang government. Military action is particularly unappealing, since the unpredictable North possesses crude nuclear weapons as well as a huge standing army. North Korea exists largely outside the system of international financial and diplomatic institutions that the U.S. has used as leverage in dealing with other hostile countries, including Iran.

North Korea has also resisted pressure from its major ally, China, which appears to be nervous about the signs of instability in its neighbor.

"We strongly condemn the attack and we are rallying the international community to put pressure on North Korea," Obama said in the ABC interview, specifically citing the need for China's help. Obama said every nation in the region must know "this is a serious and ongoing threat."

Defense Secretary Robert Gates phoned South Korea's defense minister to express sympathy for the deaths of two of the South's marines in the artillery shelling of a small South Korean island and to express appreciation "for the restraint shown to date" by the South's government, a Pentagon spokesman said.

Obama called North Korea's action "just one more provocative incident" and said he would consult with Lee on an appropriate response.

In his phone call to South Korea's defense minister, Gates said the U.S. viewed recent attacks as a violation of the armistice agreement that ended the Korea War in 1953, and he reiterated the U.S. commitment to South Korea's defense, said Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell.

Obama was awakened at 4 a.m. Tuesday with the news. He went ahead with an Indiana trip focused on the economy before returning to the White House after dark.

State Department spokesman Mark Toner said the U.S. would take a "deliberate approach" in response to what he also called provocative North Korean behavior. At the same time, other administration officials, speaking on condition of anonymity to describe the emerging strategy, said the White House was determined to end a diplomatic cycle that officials said rewards North Korean brinksmanship.

In the past, the U.S. and other nations have sweetened offers to North Korea as it has developed new missiles and prototype nuclear weapons. North Korea is now demanding new one-on-one talks with the United States, which rejects that model in favor of group diplomacy that includes North Korea's protector, China.

"We're not going to respond willy-nilly," Toner said. "We believe that it's important that we keep a unified and measured approach going forward."

Both Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill accused North Korea of starting the skirmish.

The violence comes as the North prepares for a dynastic change in leadership and faces a winter of food and electricity shortages. It is the latest of a series of confrontations that have aggravated tensions on the divided peninsula.

The incident also follows the North's decision last week to give visiting Western scientists a tour of a secret uranium enrichment facility, which may signal an expansion of the North's nuclear weapons program. Six weeks ago, North Korean leader Kim Jong Il anointed his youngest son, Kim Jong Un, as his heir apparent.

The administration official said the U.S. did not interpret North Korea's aggression as a desire to go to war, but as yet another effort to extract concessions from the international community.

Pentagon spokesman Col. Dave Lapan said no new equipment or personnel have been relocated to South Korea, while Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz seemed to shrug off the latest incident as something that Seoul can handle on its own.

"The North Koreans have undertaken over time a number of provocations that have manifested themselves in different ways," Schwartz said.

The artillery exchange was only the latest serious incident between the two nations. In March, a South Korean naval ship, the Cheonan, exploded and sank in the Yellow Sea, killing 46 sailors. South Korea accused the North of torpedoing the vessel; the North denied the allegation.

In August, the South Korean military reported that the North had fired 110 artillery rounds into the Yellow Sea near the disputed sea border but said the shells fell harmlessly into North Korean waters.

South Korean officials said Tuesday's clash came after Pyongyang warned the South to halt military drills near the small South Korean island of Yeonpyeong.

When Seoul refused and began firing artillery into the water near the disputed sea border, the North bombarded Yeonpyeong, which houses South Korean military installations and a small civilian population.

Recent joint U.S.-Korean naval exercises and strenuous denunciations of the North may only have provoked the regime in Pyongyang. Some experts say the secretive regime may be trying to promote Kim Jong Un as a worthy successor who, like his father, is capable of standing up to the U.S.

"I think it may be all wrapped in this succession planning, in the way the North is looking at it," said Robert RisCassi, a retired Army general who commanded U.S. forces in Korea from 1990-93.

The U.S.-South Korea exercises also angered China. Beijing is regarded as the key to any long-term diplomatic bargain to end North Korea's nuclear program and reduce tensions on the peninsula.

But U.S. officials say the North's motives and internal politics are opaque and sometimes appear inconsistent.

"I don't know the answer to any question about North Korea that begins with the word 'why,"' Gates told reporters Monday.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

The South will rise again?
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Clinton should have dealt with North Korea back in the 90's. Back then we could have handled it with our ability to leverage China. Now we are China's bitch and our troops are all over the world.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

We, the American consumer made ourselves become China's bitches...

but,

Yes, the sackless American govt contributed to it as well, but our lazy-worker-price-point-greed got the best of us...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    lol yeah. It's an airplane.
    Pentagon's full of shit.

So United Airlines is evidently launching flights vertically out of the ocean these days.

Something funny going on there. Really does (or should) make one wonder who's launching missiles from submarines off of our coast.

Good raw video

No,no,no it's nothing more than a weather balloon.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post

The military exercise was no surprise.
    The South Korean army notified North Korean leaders of the exercises before midnight on the eve of said military games,which according to the signed armistice is permitted.