Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Default Anyone Ever Had to Withhold Rent from a Landlord?

Circumstance?
    Result?

I've been having issues since I moved in in August. Namely, we are without a working washer and dryer which is in our contract. It's been since August and I've been very patient and I've had enough. I know it's well within my rights to withhold rent and deposit it into an escrow account but if anyone else has had to do something similar before, how did it go?

I'm real tired of being dicked around. My roommate and I have called the landlord a few times but they have not returned our calls. I'm considering writing an email, not only because I'll be calmer over email, but also because I'll have a record of the exchange.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Here is a link that pertains to your state.

http://www.michiganlegalaid.org/libr...7707/html_view
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo, Hear About it Later
    Last Online

08.08.15 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

There might be a community housing /tenant resource nonprofit thing in your area that can give you some free advice...

here is the one for madison, wi for example...

http://www.tenantresourcecenter.org/
    Any musicians near Boston / Cape Cod want to get together and play some VH? I play drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and I sing. I want to start a VH tribute band. Contact me if interested.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:06 AM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

I am a landlord. In the state of Maine (where I am) you can withhold rent for your situation, especially if it is in the lease. What I would do is send your landlord and yourself a certified letter-don't open the letter you send to yourself so you can use it in court. Keep dates on file of every contact or attempted contact.
    You can also pay for the service of fixing the washer/dryer and withold that amount from rent as well...just send the landlord a copy of the receipt.
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also am a landlord in massachusetts. I do tenant at wills..instead of the lease. This way for any reason if anyone is unhappy, they can go their separate ways. In my case I do have a community shared washer in dryer in the basement for the tenants to use. It however is not part of the tenant at will. If it breaks, the tenants would have to go the the laundry mat, until, I buy a new one or get it fixed. -in my case, i don't really make much money off the rent after the mortgage/taxes..etc are payed each month, so for me, i'd run out and make sure the tenant is happy, especially if they are good respectful paying tenants.

To be honest though, if I were you, i'd go on to craigslist and find a working washer/dryer that is free. There are pobably a bunch in great condition.

I would document everything, and withhold the rent until he discusses the matter at hand with you.

Try with the email first.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoHalen5150 View Post
    I would document everything, and withhold the rent until he discusses the matter at hand with you.

Try with the email first.
    It can be against the law in some states to actually withhold the rent unless you go through the Clerk of Courts to file a grievance and put the money into an escrow account. Check with your state laws by Googling Landlord/Tenant Law in your state to find out.

I own a rental property and all I can say is document, document and document. List your phone calls, emails, letters, etc and then put the money in escrow through the courts. That should get their attention.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Banned!
    Last Online

11.25.10 @ 11:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have never understood why landlords and rental companies are such cheap fucking bastards. That's not how you run a company, so do they really think they are going to make good on a rental property by pissing off their tenants and allowing their rental investment to fall apart by not doing what is required to keep things in tip top shape.

It makes sense to me that if these landlords actually spent the money on what is required to get done and kept the tenants happy, they would have a more justifiable reason to raise the rent AND bring in a higher class of tenant with more income based on the fact that your rental property is kick ass with the renovations you have done to make your rental property look like a fancy ass condo.
    Last edited by Eddie Van Hagar; 11.22.10 at 12:24 PM.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Van Hagar View Post
    I have never understood why landlords and rental companies are such cheap fucking bastards. That's not how you run a company, so do they really think they are going to make good on a rental property by pissing off their tenants and allowing their rental investment to fall apart by not doing what is required to keep things in tip top shape.

It makes sense to me that if these landlords actually spent the money on what is required to get done and kept the tenants happy, they would have a more justifiable reason to raise the rent AND bring in a higher class of tenant with more income based on the fact that your rental property is kick ass with the renovations you have done to make your rental property look like a fancy ass condo.
    You also have the other side of the coin which is the landlord who takes care of their property and the tenant could give a shit about it. We put new Berber carpet in the house last year and the tenant let the dog dig a hole in it and pull the threads to put a run clear across it. We put a new roof and gutters on the house only to have the tenant not clean out the gutters causing rain to go down the basement wall and tell us he couldn't clean the gutters because he didn't have insurance and what would happen to his job if he fell (the care of the property is spelled out in the lease so this wasn't something new). The best yet was him leaving the enclosed patio doors open during a wind storm with 80-100 mph gusts which caused the roof to get ripped off of it. This after we specifically told him to be sure and keep the doors closed. There are horror stories on both sides, trust me. It gets really discouraging putting tons of money and labor in a property every time a tenant decides to trash the place. The majority of renters do not take care of a rental property like they would if they owned it.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    You also have the other side of the coin which is the landlord who takes care of their property and the tenant could give a shit about it. We put new Berber carpet in the house last year and the tenant let the dog dig a hole in it and pull the threads to put a run clear across it. We put a new roof and gutters on the house only to have the tenant not clean out the gutters causing rain to go down the basement wall and tell us he couldn't clean the gutters because he didn't have insurance and what would happen to his job if he fell (the care of the property is spelled out in the lease so this wasn't something new). The best yet was him leaving the enclosed patio doors open during a wind storm with 80-100 mph gusts which caused the roof to get ripped off of it. This after we specifically told him to be sure and keep the doors closed. There are horror stories on both sides, trust me. It gets really discouraging putting tons of money and labor in a property every time a tenant decides to trash the place. The majority of renters do not take care of a rental property like they would if they owned it.
    I realize there are horror stories on both sides, but way more often than not - it's usually the landlord who is completely in the wrong.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:05 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I realize there are horror stories on both sides, but way more often than not - it's usually the landlord who is completely in the wrong.
    I disagree. My parents owned a very large property management firm for 40 years. In general renters treat a rental property like crap. I am not saying that slum lords and dis-honest landlords dont exist but my guess is 7 out of 10 renters could give a shit about a rental they are living in.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

I had a landlord who was a real asshole, a piece of shit in the purest sense of the phrase. He actually charges potential tenants (dumb enough to pay it) a viewing fee, they pay to look at his places.

Anyways, he didn't put our damage deposits with the rentalsmen, so I called the rentalsmen office and was told to withhold my last months rent. We did, and when I put a contract in front of him and demanded he sign it agreeing to it, he flipped out, stormed out, called me 5 minutes later and apologized up and down.

If it works similarly in the US, you are within full rights to withhold rent if washer and dryer are stipulated in your lease/agreement. Withhold your rent.

and I disagree with OLO, only in so far as I'd bet its 50/50. Many landlords are renting slums which are nowhere near building codes and many renters are pigs who don't care.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    I disagree. My parents owned a very large property management firm for 40 years. In general renters treat a rental property like crap. I am not saying that slum lords and dis-honest landlords dont exist but my guess is 7 out of 10 renters could give a shit about a rental they are living in.
    Did you parents make repairs within the same week that a tenant calls them? Did your parents keep modernizing the units to ensure they don't still look like 1960 apartments? People will give a shit, if they feel their landlord gives a fuck about them or the building that they own.

It always amazes me when I look at an apartment and the place hasn't been renovated in like 30 years. Maybe if you get that 1960's fridge and stove out of there and put some modern stainless steel appliances in there along with updating the kitchen with new cabinets and the like, people would give a shit about where they lived.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Did you parents make repairs within the same week that a tenant calls them? Did your parents keep modernizing the units to ensure they don't still look like 1960 apartments? People will give a shit, if they feel their landlord gives a fuck about them or the building that they own.

It always amazes me when I look at an apartment and the place hasn't been renovated in like 30 years. Maybe if you get that 1960's fridge and stove out of there and put some modern stainless steel appliances in there along with updating the kitchen with new cabinets and the like, people would give a shit about where they lived.
    Same week - LOL
    Try within 12 hours if it is possible. They had a full staff at every complex, rental agents, maintenance men etc etc etc.

The carpets are changed out every few years and cleaned after ever renter.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    Same week - LOL
    Try within 12 hours if it is possible. They had a full staff at every complex, rental agents, maintenance men etc etc etc.

The carpets are changed out every few years and cleaned after ever renter.
    Well if it's 12 hours - your parents are one of very few good landlords. But how about renovating the apartments? Will they put new hard wood floors down and not that cheap parkay flooring shit. Stainless steal fridge and stove? New kitchen? New bathroom?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Well if it's 12 hours - your parents are one of very few good landlords. But how about renovating the apartments? Will they put new hard wood floors down and not that cheap parkay flooring shit. Stainless steal fridge and stove? New kitchen? New bathroom?
    No, its an apartment. If you want high end applainces and flooring then you need to buy a house and install those things yourself. These are rentals, renters abuse things and damage them. Why would I want to install hardwood flooring when I know that the dog is going to pee on it and destroy it. Instead you install laminate, its much more dog pee resistant.

My guess is middle of the road carpeting was installed and not high end stuff.

In time kitchen and bathrooms were remodeled and updated, was it high end stuff used - NO!! My guess is it was all middle of the road stuff meant to take a beating and last a few years. My parents firm managed thousands of units, at one time they had 30,000 apartment units under the companys care.

Once again if you want high end this and high end that you need to buy a house and have that stuff done yourself. That to me is like asking the rental car company to upgrade the car with rims and a kick ass stereo system.
    ((Just My Two Cents))