Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default Preschool Depression

Come on parents! These kids are young and trying to figure out their emotions.... You mean to tell me your going to drag them to a shrink and get them on depression meds?

What a SICK fucking society.

Preschool Depression

BOSTON (FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) - To many parents, diagnosing a child with depression as young as 2-years-old sound unconscionable. Many ask, what child doesn’t cry or become irritable? What toddler doesn’t become bored or unhappy at times?

But, in fact, the diagnosis is becoming more and more common. It has even has a name now, “preschool depression”. It’s estimated as many as 84,000 of America’s 6 million preschoolers, kids ages 2-5 years old, are clinically depressed.

“For preschoolers, really the hallmark of depression across the age range is really a lack of pleasure in the day to day activities,” says Dr. Stuart Goldman, the director of the Mood Disorder Clinic at Children’s Hospital Boston, “these kids are just not happy. They don’t enjoy life the way ordinary kids do.” Goldman says it is the type of sadness that goes beyond having a bad day.

SIGNS OF PRESCHOOL DEPRESSION

* In many cases, these children can’t remember the last time they had fun
    * They experience prolonged periods of sadness and irritability
    * They often act younger than their age

While there’s no doubt, kids as young as 2-years-old can have significant behavioral and emotional issues, some health care professionals are concerned with the actual label preschool depression. Dr. Lisa Cosgrove is a research lab fellow in the Edmond J. Sapher Center for Ethics at Harvard University.

Cosgrove warns by collapsing children’s issues under one name and labeling it as depression, we may be inadvertently deflecting our attention away from the other issues the child may be suffering from. “They could be the result of a number of factors, such as abuse, trauma, attachment difficulties, poverty, a number of situation and stressors and traumas can certainly cause those kinds of behavioral and emotional difficulties,” Cosgrove says.

There’s also the issue of medication. Cosgrove’s research looks at the influence of pharmaceutical companies over the medical community. The FDA doesn’t approve a drug, unless there’s an identifiable condition for it to treat, and Cosgrove wonders if there was a rush to put a label on preschool depression, “I think there are many well-intentioned, very good researchers addressing the issue of preschool depression. I think we need to be careful that none is playing hand maiden to the drug companies’ desire to make profits be expanding the market of what would be treatable.” One of Cosgrove’s concerns is the younger the patient, the larger big pharma’s customer base becomes. “So the concern would be what would the early intervention look like? Would it amount predominantly to medication?,” asks Cosgrove.

For now, there is no standard course of treatment for preschool depression. Much of it depends on the severity of the case, and family history of mental illness. Medication, according to Dr. Goldman, are used by most doctors as a late resort, “I think most child psychologists are not excited about prescribing powerful meds to 3 to 5-year olds, on the other hand, they don’t want kids to be suicidal and end up in the hospital either. For those who doubt the diagnosis, Dr. Goldman gives the example in a painting done by one of his patients, a little girl who tried to commit suicide at just 3-years-old. “She said there’s a little girl behind the rock and nobody knows where she is, and he mommy doesn’t know and she’s hungry and she’s cold and even Santa Claus, and it’s right around Christmas, is not going to find her,” Goldman says.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/...ssion-20101115
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

we're fucked...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

I think I suffer from pre school depression. Ok, seriously though. Have you been to a Walmart lately and seen the latest incarnation of what passes as parents. I would be depressed too. I mean come on ladies. Put some regular clothes on when going out. It is not ok to stay in your pajamas 24/7. And for gods sake, stop using your kids as verbal punching bags.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:56 PM
    Liked 18,084 Times in 8,934 Posts

Two year old depression, we are so screwed as a society.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

If I were a kid today, I think I'd be depressed to - when none of my friends wanted to go throw a ball because they were too busy with their damn cell phones!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.06.14 @ 12:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Trust me I'm not condoning this. When I use to send my son to preschool there were kids that were pissed. I'm not saying mad at mommy for leaving me or tantrum fits. I mean pissed at the world. How can so many kids be upset and why. All I can say is there is a lot of shit that happens behind closed doors that isn't talked about. The cases of abuse are just the ones that are talked about in court cases. You have to think of the ones that aren't seen. There are people with a predisposition of saying my kid is so tormented or have Munchhausen. Or just trying to piss off a spouse because of a divorce. But kids have a lot on their minds these days. Not to mention there are parents that have a whole life planned out for their unborn child. Talk about undo pressure. I even get on my son when he brings home crappy grades. We put so much emphasis on our child's future now because of all the faults our parents did or didn't do for us, we forget that they are just kids and don't know how to handle the future itself. The thought of preschool depression is scary and probably slighted, but it might not be so off the wrong road.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

There are some mommies and daddies out there that need to shape the f*ck up. Perhaps they never should have had children in the first place.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:04 PM
    Liked 780 Times in 375 Posts

Premium Member

What do we think's gonna happen when mom is downing 2 bottles of Prozac and Xanax every day throughout her pregnancy? Bad things. The kids are mind-fucked before they're even out of the womb.

And then they're raised by parents who are addicted to anti-depressants. People incapable of true emotion. I've found that hanging around people who take a lot of anti-depressants can be a real mind-fuck in itself.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_