Page 1 of 107 12341151101 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Melodicrock Update 11/16:VAN HALEN - 2011 STILL SHAPING UP FOR A BIG YEAR

Straight from Andrew:
    melodicrock.com, 11/16/2011

"VAN HALEN - 2011 STILL SHAPING UP FOR A BIG YEAR:
    Let's great straight to it - it's been quiet in the Van Halen camp since a wave of expectation and excitement broke following news leaks a few months back regarding a possible new album and tour for 2011.
    The Tour: The band will tour extensively in 2011, taking in North America, likely European dates and even some Australian dates, which local newspaper the Herald Sun stated Sunday - [VH] "...are very close to confirming an Oz visit next year..."
    The line-up will remain as it was for the 2007 tour - Eddie, Alex, Wolfgang and David Lee Roth.

The New Album: Numerous reports about new music coming from the band are true. There is new music recorded with the expectation of an all-new studio album featuring David Lee Roth to be released in 2011. What is not known right now is the time frame for this.
    Here is what I was told. It seems DLR's vocals are being recorded away from the 5150 studio, with Eddie receiving various vocal tracks from the singer, but not always to the guitarist's satisfaction. I'm told that it's work in progress between Eddie and Dave.
    I also heard, but cannot confirm, that Eddie has recorded most of the bass parts for the album.

There is a deal in place between Warner Bros. and the band for a new album (as announced a few months back). However, I'm told there is a genuine fear from the label that the album may now not be ready before tour commitments begin. The album was definitely expected to be released in early 2011, but there has been so much going back and forth and re-arranging, so if the recordings are not turned in by early 2011, the label have developed a contingency plan.
    That is preparing re-masters of the Sammy Hagar era catalogue (curious decision perhaps, but the only albums left to do), as well as preparing Blue-Ray releases of Live Without a Net and Live Right Here Right Now so at least there is something on the market when the band tours.
    Additionally they are preparing limited edition Vinyl releases, which have just appeared on the Rhino/Warner schedule. 1984, Women And Children First and Van Halen II will be released on LP December 13.

And to close - the band apparently tested a few different producers, but the man at the helm for this album is one Ross Hogarth. Go look him up. His website makes no mention of any work with Van Halen, but in July he did make one reference to a new record he was starting. He stated: "The record I just started ROCKS!!! [it] will be amazing...that is all I will say..."

Stay tuned as always...more soon."

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 986 Times in 397 Posts

tits
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:18 PM
    Liked 1,391 Times in 763 Posts

Knowing what we know about the last 10 years, I'm pretty sure this report reflects exactly what's happening over there. A money making opportunity that everyone is into (the tour). An artistic endeavor that everyone is struggling with (the record). A choice of singer EVH is extremely unhappy about but stuck with (Roth). A producer with no authority in the rock world to stand up to Ed, Ross Hogarth (his references: John Mellencamp and the Jonas Brothers). An album in limbo.

Plan B: release remasters so that VH fans will need to pay again for what they already have, a real specialty of the VH camp.
    Little Dreamer

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by psrajam91 View Post

And to close - the band apparently tested a few different producers, but the man at the helm for this album is one Ross Hogarth. Go look him up. His website makes no mention of any work with Van Halen, but in July he did make one reference to a new record he was starting. He stated: "The record I just started ROCKS!!! [it] will be amazing...that is all I will say..."

Stay tuned as always...more soon."
    from ross hogarth's page:

Summer Update …. Doobie Brothers mixed, mastered …. and the record I just started ROCKS !!!
    Sunday, July 4, 2010
    Comments (2)

So the long and winding road is almost over “World Gone Crazy” , the new Doobie Brother Brother’s record is mixed and mastered and will be released in September !!! I am so proud of it and am glad it will see the light of day soon. YEH !!
    The record I just started will be amazing .. that is all I will say ..

he was talking about the doobie brother's album....the fucking doobie brothers....

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

The guy was an engineer on the Doobie record that Templeman produced.

Seems he's more of an engineer than a producer. But if this means TT is involved, then that would be good news, no doubt.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Knowing what we know about the last 10 years, I'm pretty sure this report reflects exactly what's happening over there. A money making opportunity that everyone is into (the tour). An artistic endeavor that everyone is struggling with (the record). A choice of singer EVH is extremely unhappy about but stuck with (Roth). A producer with no authority in the rock world to stand up to Ed, Ross Hogarth (his references: John Mellencamp and the Jonas Brothers). An album in limbo.

Plan B: release remasters so that VH fans will need to pay again for what they already have, a real specialty of the VH camp.
    Go little further down on the discography and youll see he worked with Ratt, Cheap Trick, and Dio. I have more faith in him than Mike Post. Additionally he worked with Templeman on the last doobies record. Ill wait and see on this one.

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Eddie is recording the bass parts. Figures. I guess his little musical prodigy couldnt do it?

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

Ross Hogarth Official Website
    Biography

Govít Mule, Roger Waters, The Black Crowes, Shawn Colvin, John Mellencamp, R.E.M.and Jewel are some of the artists this Double Grammy-winning producer/engineer/mixer has had the joy of working with over his two-plus decades in the recording studio.

Rossí wide varied experience and taste opened up all creative doors and usual and unusual possibilities. Heís never allowed himself to be pigeonholed or trapped in any one musical genre as his studio work runs the gamut from the heavy metal insanity of Motley Crue and Coal Chamber to the Grammy-winning Kebí Moí release Slow Down to recent releases by Melissa Etheridge, Ziggy Marley and John Fogerty.

Growing up in NY during the influential punk scene of the 70ís, Ross began his musical career as a guitarist/singer/ songwriter, playing in the wild downtown New York clubs. With good fortune paving his way to California, he had the rare opportunity to hook up with both the San Francisco Bay areaís exploding New Wave music scene and Southern Calís seminal rock scene. Natural evolution took him from doing live production and sound on the road with Jackson Browne, David Lindley, Fleetwood Mac and Little Feat into a world class producer, mixer and recording engineer.

Hoax Productions was established in 1986 as a vehicle for Ross to have the freedom to promote and produce top names as well as newly discovered talent.

Versatility, absolute belief in the artistsí vision and his complete commitment to bringing that vision to the final master are all representative of Rossí strengths and abilities.

In the ever changing world of the arts, Ross and Hoax Productions goal is to let creativity be the place of certainty that allows for constant change.
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

I don't like the sounds of this.

Typical money grab with Eddie taking complete creative control alongside a producer who will seemingly let Eddie do what he wants to do? This sounds like a weird cross between 2007 and VH3.

I guess I'll have to hear it when I hear it, and hope I enjoy it. But the initial reports don't make me feel good at all.

I however, will not pass judgement until more unfolds.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

ed's being anal about how every little thing sounds....is anyone surprised?

-Zachenfoot 2/23/10

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    ed's being anal about how every little thing sounds....is anyone surprised?
    No, and I guess that's what bothers me.

Ed hasn't changed at all, which may explain why I believe I have no reason to change my opinion about him. He obviously didn't learn a thing from III and seems to believe that the problem all along was who was in front of the microphone.

Van Halen has been irrelevant for a long time. They need to go back to the formula that made them successful for people to be interested, so the product can reflect that. Give up the childish bullshit for a month, be adults, put your heads together, and make a record.

If Ed is taking control--someone who is so out of touch with the modern world these days--and the "band" isn't working as a cohesive unit, then who knows, this one may go down as another failure. We don't know, but history has proven this to be the case. And this band clearly has zero chemistry right now.

We'll see. I have my reservations and doubts though.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

On fire, SGMAD
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

well its good news and the fact that something is happening is better then fuck all.

however does smell like the same situation with vh3. just hope eddie is open to feedback from those close to the project
    "People ask me 'Dave, what's it like to be a rock and roll star?" I tell them 'It's simple: in your mind, line up every woman you've ever been with. Got 'em there? well, I wouldn't fuck any of them.'" - DLR

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

In Ross Hogarth's bio, they are combining jobs he did as an engineer and as a producer. Very different situations. We're not that worried about the engineering aspect - with today's technology, and unlimited amounts of recording time at 5150, it's not that hard to make things sound good. But they do need an actual producer who has some creative input. Not sure this guy is the man - I've never heard him mention in the same league as a Bob Rock, Brendan O'Brien or Mike Clink.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little guitars
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:24 AM
    Liked 1,151 Times in 516 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post
    No, and I guess that's what bothers me.

Ed hasn't changed at all, which may explain why I believe I have no reason to change my opinion about him. He obviously didn't learn a thing from III and seems to believe that the problem all along was who was in front of the microphone.

Van Halen has been irrelevant for a long time. They need to go back to the formula that made them successful for people to be interested, so the product can reflect that. Give up the childish bullshit for a month, be adults, put your heads together, and make a record.

If Ed is taking control--someone who is so out of touch with the modern world these days--and the "band" isn't working as a cohesive unit, then who knows, this one may go down as another failure. We don't know, but history has proven this to be the case. And this band clearly has zero chemistry right now.

We'll see. I have my reservations and doubts though.
    Ed always control the studio no? 1984 was a successful album

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vaijuju View Post
    Ed always control the studio no? 1984 was a successful album
    Not THIS much control. Not so much that it hampered the creative interests of everyone else, well, unless your name was Mike Anthony.