https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 786 Times in 377 Posts

Premium Member

Let me get this straight (no pun).

This high school hosts a gay awareness day ("spirit day"), encouraging it's students to wear purple and pink to school in order to raise awareness about discrimination against homosexuals. Then some teacher at the school (who's also president of the local teachers union) gets all bent about some girl in his class wearing a rebel flag belt buckle, and tells her that she must remove the belt buckle because it's an offensive symbol and doesn't jive with their "spirit day"?

Now enter the video of some 14 year old gay kid defending the teacher, because the teacher is "standing up for gays"?

But hey, if Perez Hilton says it's cool, then.

When I was in high school then "spirit day" was usually reserved for rooting for the school's football team and wearing your schools colors the day of the big game.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    When I was in high school then "spirit day" was usually reserved for rooting for the school's football team and wearing your schools colors the day of the big game.
    ditto...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

04.02.14 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's so many things messed up in this story. First of all, having this kind of "spirit day" is just asking for trouble in the first place. Then on top of it, make a big deal about the damn flag. What the hell did they expect to happen? An orgy?

We are pretty much fucked as a society if THIS kind of thing happens. When I was in school, there is NO WAY anything remotely resembling the kind of shit they do in school nowadays would have happened. We knew better than to take the risk.

It's like slowly walking toward an open bucket of gasoline with a torch, just to see how close you have to get before it explodes in your face.
    Good thing to know:
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by =VH=316 View Post
    It's like slowly walking toward an open bucket of gasoline with a torch, just to see how close you have to get before it explodes in your face.
    Now that's what we did on Spirit Day in high school!

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

so did you hear about the teacher that asked a student to take the American flag off his bicycle because the Mexican kids would find it offensive? This happened in the US, not Mexico

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by =VH=316 View Post
    There's so many things messed up in this story. First of all, having this kind of "spirit day" is just asking for trouble in the first place. Then on top of it, make a big deal about the damn flag. What the hell did they expect to happen? An orgy?

We are pretty much fucked as a society if THIS kind of thing happens. When I was in school, there is NO WAY anything remotely resembling the kind of shit they do in school nowadays would have happened. We knew better than to take the risk.

I dunno, I don't think this story is a highlight of what is wrong with the US schools. I would go with the 13 year old getting handcuffed for scrubbing on a desk, as my first choice.

None of this would have happened if there wasn't so much bullying. I mean there's so much diversity in your society - on the one hand you have half-the-town standing up for the bike-kid with the American flag, on the other there's so many teens who seem to have so much hate in them its just downright absurd. I'm not even going for the 300 million population reasoning, there's 65 million in the UK and non of this shit happens in here. I know alot of people who're still in school all across the country so I get a solid view on how things work there. So many kids are open about their sexuality, and noone gives a shit. Fuck nearly 1/3rd of my colleagues at work are gay, both men and women, and whenever it comes up as a subject it's as casual thing as the weather. Surely we have our share of psychos and fucked up people in Britain, but I can't recall if I ever came across a "teen commits a suicide because of bullying" anywhere in the news. I come on the links, and it's a given every few months or so.

Bleh. In my opinion the "spirit day" is as "gay" idea as any, it wouldn't change a thing. I can't really think of anything that would.
    Last edited by WinterlessIceness; 11.17.10 at 05:55 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

A very good friend of mine at school is from Howell and she had this teacher a few years ago. On the outside, it looks like a nice little town in mid-Michigan, but that's not quite it. It's a very, very conservative town that was a hotbed for KKK activity and a lot of racist sentiment still lives on. A lot of the students she went to school with routinely made racist and homophobic remarks to students who were a racial minority or those who were gay.

The aim was to try and open some eyes for the students who are otherwise thought of as being "closed-minded" but it had the opposite effect. For people who are pretty sensitive to the stigma of being associated with Howell, the Confederate flag is a big deal for them and quite offensive. That being said, I can understand why the teacher got upset--in that community, that symbol stands for intolerance.

But then again, by trying to raise awareness of the issues that have been plaguing Howell, they've opened a HUGE can of worms.