Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Default FDA to require graphic warnings on cigarette packs, ads

FDA TO REQUIRE GRAPHIC WARNINGS ON CIGARETTE PACKS, ADS
    Warning labels will cover more of a cigarette pack or ad, and feature images and text that strongly warn of the dangers tied to smoking.

By Thomas H. Maugh II, Los Angeles Times

8:39 AM PST, November 10, 2010

In the first major change to cigarette packaging in a quarter-century, the Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday it will require graphic warning labels that cover half a package's front and rear and the top 20% of all cigarette ads.

The labels will feature either drawings or photos illustrating graphically the dangers associated with smoking and will be accompanied by text stating that smoking is addictive or that it kills. The pictures are not quite as grim as some used in other countries, but regulators hope they will be sufficiently frightening to keep young people from beginning to smoke and to strengthen the will of those who are attempting to quit.

"We want to make sure every person who picks up a pack of cigarettes knows exactly what the risk is they are taking," Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said at a news conference.

Current regulations require only a written warning on the edge of the cigarette pack and a similar, small warning at the bottom of ads.

The FDA is currently looking at 36 different potential labels, which can be viewed at http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Tobacco.../UCM232425.pdf. The agency will select nine of them by June 22, 2011, and cigarette manufacturers must begin putting them on packages and advertising by Sept. 22, 2011. By Oct. 22, 2011, manufacturers will no longer be able to distribute cigarettes that do not bear the new warnings.

Federal agencies have been concerned that smoking rates, which declined from about 42% in 1965 to just under 21% in 2004, have remained flat since then. "That's bad news," Sebelius said. "Every day, 4,000 young people try cigarettes for the first time and 1,000 continue to smoke."

An estimated 450,000 Americans die prematurely as a result of smoking-related disease every year and 8 million suffer chronic diseases at a cost to the economy of $100 billion annually. Most of those deaths are preventable. The goal of the new actions by the Department of Health and Human Services is to bring the smoking rate down to 12% by 2020.

A key step was the passage of "historic legislation" last June that, for the first time, gave the FDA power to regulate tobacco products. Since then, the agency has taken a number of steps, including banning the practices of giving out free samples, halting advertising in youth-oriented magazines, and banning misleading terms like "light," "low-tar" and "mild" from advertising.

Medicare has also changed its rules so that smoking cessation products are available to any beneficiaries who want them, not just those who have lung disease, as was the previous practice.

"There is still a long way to go to reduce the enormous burden of death and disability, but we can make progress," said Dr. Margaret A. Hamburg, FDA commissioner.

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-sci...,5986780.story
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 11.10.10 at 10:01 AM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

The hypocrisy is unreal.

Government: I'm sort of against this substance, but instead of outlawing it, I want to put scary warnings and pictures on it and keep it legal -- because I love the tax revenue it gives!

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Cigarette smoking causes cancer? What fresh hell is this? Thanks, government. I had no idea. What would I do without you, government?
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    The hypocrisy is unreal.

Government: I'm sort of against this substance, but instead of outlawing it, I want to put scary warnings and pictures on it and keep it legal -- because I love the tax revenue it gives!
    Exactly. I believe it was the first tax that Obama raised to pay for healthcare for all children. It's also been found that the so called "sin taxes" unfairly targets the poor because they are more likely to do things such as smoking. I would love to see what would happen if the government lost half their tax revenue.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Last Online

Premium Member

The hypocrisy is unreal.

Completely agree. It also treats us like idiots, but I guess I should be used to that by my government.

It's funny how I can't have the choice on my deathbed to try an experimental drug that could save my life because the FDA has not approved it, but I can by a damned cigarette as long as the FDA plasters scary pictures and tells me that it will kill me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The hypocrisy is unreal.

...and lets think about legalizing marijuana to do the same...
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

"Shutthefuckupity" - DIF on John Cusack.

"Baby, where'd you sleep last night?
    Your hair is all tangled
    and you ain't walking right." - Robert Johnson

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

3 more of the 36 graphic labels and another article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/11/he...o.html?_r=2&hp
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

"Shutthefuckupity" - DIF on John Cusack.

"Baby, where'd you sleep last night?
    Your hair is all tangled
    and you ain't walking right." - Robert Johnson

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Honestly, It's overkill at this point. We all know what cigarettes will do, and either you care or you don't. Those labels won't do shit.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by diamondsgirl View Post
    ...and lets think about legalizing marijuana to do the same...
    To defend your position on marijuana, there is a difference because of the impairment marijuana can cause.

Both are bad for you. To paraphrase Dennis Miller, no one starts a fire every hour, sticks their head in and breathes and thinks it's healthy.

However, the question to be asking is a hypothetical one: do things get better or worse if we outlaw cigarettes (we don't have to turn this into another legalize pot thread, but I think the answer is important in response)?

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    To defend your position on marijuana, there is a difference because of the impairment marijuana can cause.

Both are bad for you. To paraphrase Dennis Miller, no one starts a fire every hour, sticks their head in and breathes and thinks it's healthy.

However, the question to be asking is a hypothetical one: do things get better or worse if we outlaw cigarettes (we don't have to turn this into another legalize pot thread, but I think the answer is important in response)?
    I guess it depends on how you are meaning "better or worse". Are you referring to more government infringing on our freedoms, are you referring to how it would effect the economy in states that depend on tobacco as a cash crop, or health costs in the new age of government healthcare?
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    I guess it depends on how you are meaning "better or worse". Are you referring to more government infringing on our freedoms, are you referring to how it would effect the economy in states that depend on tobacco as a cash crop, or health costs in the new age of government healthcare?
    All of it. It really is a binary proposition--continue to keep cigarettes legal and regulate them or make them illegal. So, the results must be looked at in the same fashion. Overall, which makes society better?

For example, off the top of my head (I might change my opinion as I think more):

Use would likely drop, but that also depends upon how quickly the current cartels, or new ones, or other countries that would import illegally, could get production off of the ground. I don't know much about the difficulty of growing tobacco, so without further research (I'll look into it), I don't know how widespread "growing your own" could be. Still, there will likely be a large drop off in use, then a steady upstream as supplies became as plentiful as marijuana. A stigma might be attached to it, and the illegality would likely force most smokers indoors, which would not only make the air quality in the houses of users worse, but would also affect any children or second-hand breathers.

The chemical nature of cigarettes might be gone (depending upon how advanced the cartels became in producing them), which might make them better, but the filters might be gone too. Who knows how that would go.

Then, of course, we'd have police now concentrating on tobacco trafficking, which could take attention away from narcotic trafficking and other crime.

A large section of tax money would be gone, which means that it would be made up for somewhere else--perhaps by raising taxes or adding a national value-added tax, putting the tax burden that was on smokers onto non-smokers.

Cigarette prices could balloon by as much as 700% or more, which would deter some (creating a possibly healthier society), but would also add to burglary and robbery rates as the poor--who smoke more than the rich--find ways to afford cigarettes that are now $30-50 or more per pack.

Then again, I could be wrong.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 11.10.10 at 10:58 AM.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 6,666 Times in 3,694 Posts

this has been the case up here for over a decade.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    this has been the case up here for over a decade.
    I'd be interested to know what the results have been like. Do the papers have any reports on that stuff?

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Cigarettes cause cancer?!?!?

Thank god their are warnings on those packs!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 6,666 Times in 3,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I'd be interested to know what the results have been like. Do the papers have any reports on that stuff?
    the results as far as usage? Smoking levels have gone down substantially but this has much more to do with taxation than anything else. The tax has also created a huge underground market for cigarettes.