Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Default Check this out, a "behind the scenes" look at Warren Haynes' rig

This is a very cool interview with Brian Farmer, Warren Haynes' guitar tech. Even if you're not a fan of Warren's, this is a very cool interview and "tour" of Warren's rig and various guitars. What I wouldn't give to have some of his equipment. Nice!

"People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    This is a very cool interview with Brian Farmer, Warren Haynes' guitar tech. Even if you're not a fan of Warren's, this is a very cool interview and "tour" of Warren's rig and various guitars. What I wouldn't give to have some of his equipment. Nice!

It's kinda funny, MRJ was there, since he goes to Iowa. Cool info there. Always liked Warren Hayes.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Frankenstrat View Post
    It's kinda funny, MRJ was there, since he goes to Iowa. Cool info there. Always liked Warren Hayes.
    I thought the little ditty about the 12 string Les Paul was kind of cool. I've heard Warren in an interview describing how that guitar was built for him in the Gibson Custom shop. He's has a great relationship with Gibson for many years now and gets all sorts of perks as a result. I've seen him play that guitar a few times and it's very sweet. I think he used it to record "Railroad Boy" from the lasted Mule CD, "By a Thread."

I also thought the Paul Reed Smith head in the beginning of the interview was kind of cool. The last Gov't Mule show I saw was last June and he didn't have that in his rig. I can only assume that means it's a fairly new addition. I believe Farmer mentioned it was a working pro-type. I wonder if Warren has a deal with Paul Reed Smith in the works?

And if you're a Warren fan, keep an eye out for a solo release from him coming out in early 2011. It was recorded at the same time Mule was recording "By a Thread" and features several different players. Gov't Mule will be on hiatus next year (except for a few select shows) while Warren tours behind this solo effort and most of the players who he recorded it with. Farmer mentioned in an interview recently that he thinks it's the best stuff Warren has ever done, including his work with the Allmans, Mule, Derek Trucks, Phil Lesh, The Dead, etc...That's saying something as Warren's catalog with these various groups is pretty impressive. Personally I'll miss Mule next year but I'm also intrigued by this new solo effort.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Frankenstrat View Post
    Actually ya, I was really surprised to see this video. I was there within minutes of that interview. Iowa had them playing as the main act for a homecoming concert -- set up right on the lawn in the center of campus! I looked around behind the stage for a while... I knew it was someone big when I started seeing the amount and quality of the gear backstage.

I saw Warren warming up too before the show at full volume, which was cool. He's got great tone. Funniest part was that I had a midterm exam in one of the buildings you can see behind them in the interview! They were soundchecking and starting the concert off DURING my test! No idea why they scheduled the exam for homecoming friday night... anyway, it worked out ok.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Actually ya, I was really surprised to see this video. I was there within minutes of that interview. Iowa had them playing as the main act for a homecoming concert -- set up right on the lawn in the center of campus! I looked around behind the stage for a while... I knew it was someone big when I started seeing the amount and quality of the gear backstage.

I saw Warren warming up too before the show at full volume, which was cool. He's got great tone. Funniest part was that I had a midterm exam in one of the buildings you can see behind them in the interview! They were soundchecking and starting the concert off DURING my test! No idea why they scheduled the exam for homecoming friday night... anyway, it worked out ok.
    That is pretty wild to think they had the show during a final exam....And knowing the Mule catalog very well, and how hard they rock, I would think it would be very difficult to concentrate on the exam will Gov't Mule ripping it up outside. Did you go to the show? If so, how was it?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    That is pretty wild to think they had the show during a final exam....And knowing the Mule catalog very well, and how hard they rock, I would think it would be very difficult to concentrate on the exam will Gov't Mule ripping it up outside. Did you go to the show? If so, how was it?
    They were just soundchecking during the test, and then the Iowa marching band and I think the opening acts started playing towards the end of the test. Those old stone building blocked the sound pretty well actually, but it was still a little distracting.

I didn't get to see them play their actual set because I had to catch a bus.