F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

10.29.11 @ 12:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Efects loop help needed...using two amps at once

Hi all

I basically use two amps where most of my effects go into the pre-amp (input) of both amps using stereo effects.

However I know some effects sound bad via the pre-amp so the only way to use them properly is via the effects loop. That would be ok but I run two amps and want to continue to do so.

Basically I figure I need an effects loop splitter/router that has he following:

Input: send and return x 1 where all the effects can be looped.

Output: send and return x 2 that work simultaneously that go out to each amp.

In a nutshell I want to use both effects loops on each amp at once.

Does such a device exist? Ive had a hunt around the net and found many loop switchers but I need a rounter or splitter to run both amps at once from the one set of looped pedals.

Can it be done and what do I need?
    "What is understood need not be discussed, and i'm a bad ass mother".

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

I'll take a stab at this.

If I understand correctly what you want to do, I'm afraid to say that I dont' think it can be done. I'll try to explain:

If you look at a Boss Stereo Chorus pedal, it takes a mono input signal, and turns it into a stereo output via two jacks. If the input is from your guitar, before your amps, you simply plug the two outputs into two different amps.

If the input comes from the effect send of one amp, you could run one of the outputs to the effects return of that same amp, and the other output to the effects return of the other amp. This would work, but you would be only using the power amp section of the second amp. Your pre-amp tone would whatever your first amps tone is. The way I understand it, you would like to use two different amps, each with it's own distinct tone characteristics, and run them in stereo.

Here's why it can't be done:

Each amps effects send has the amps distinct pre-amp tone characteristics. In order to get those two signals to go into your stereo pedal, you would have to combine them. In the process of combining them, you destroy the two individual tones, mashing them into one. The output from the pedal would be stereo, but the tone would be a combination of the two amps, and probably sound like crap.

So, just to wrap up:

If you want to run the stereo effects after the pre-amp, it can be done and you won't need any kind of special equipment, but both amps will sound like the source amp.

A-B boxes won't work, because you would have to combine the pre-amp signals of both amps, and once combined, they can't be uncombined.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I was affraid of that. My problem really is as follows:

If you forget the stereo effects that I use as im happy for them to go through the preamp, I recently bought an MXR micro amp. It's a great pedal but it wont boost the volume if put before a distortion effect whether it is a pedal or within an amp.

Therefore the solution is to use this pedal via the effects loop, therefore it's after everything and will boost volume for clean and dirty sounds.....and it does it quite well.

That set up is fine, but as I pointed out im running two amps so id like to naturally boost the signal/volume of both at once.

Hence my query about a possible effects loop splitter/router. If running one amp obviously it's send from the amp into the input of the micro amp, then output from the micro amp into the return on the amp. Therefore I was hoping there is a possible splitter to do that exact same thing but essentially double it for two amps.

I hope there is some device that can do that.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Problem solved........BOSS LS-2 Line Selector