Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:24 PM
    Liked 32 Times in 4 Posts

What to buy when in USA (guitar that is)

So I'm visting Vegas soon from Australia and staying there for 7 days. Will arrive in LA and drive out to Vegas.

Anyhow, like I have done before, I will be looking to purchase a new guitar while in the USA (because it is so cheap compared to Australian stores). I will be looking to buy a new or near new guitar and my budget will be between $1000 and $1500.

So what shold I buy and where should I buy it from (noting most of my time will be in Vegas with only transit time in LA).

So my current guitars are:
    - Peavey Wolgang special USA flametop
    - USA Fender Standard strat - hendrix white
    - 62 re-issue Fender telecaster deluxe (MIJ)
    - Tokai MIJ Love Rock - awesome Japanese Les Paul replica
    - Godin LGT

I enjoy rock (modern and classic) and blues. Out of all of the above guitars I use the strat and the leas paul clone the most.

What would you recommend I get? and from which store would you recommend? I bought the strat at guitar centre in hollywood last time and they were great but I won't be swinging by hollywood this time.

Thanks
    Adam
    Her T-shirt ended early and her hot pants started late

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,339 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by digadam View Post
    So I'm visting Vegas soon from Australia and staying there for 7 days. Will arrive in LA and drive out to Vegas.

Anyhow, like I have done before, I will be looking to purchase a new guitar while in the USA (because it is so cheap compared to Australian stores). I will be looking to buy a new or near new guitar and my budget will be between $1000 and $1500.

So what shold I buy and where should I buy it from (noting most of my time will be in Vegas with only transit time in LA).

So my current guitars are:
    - Peavey Wolgang special USA flametop
    - USA Fender Standard strat - hendrix white
    - 62 re-issue Fender telecaster deluxe (MIJ)
    - Tokai MIJ Love Rock - awesome Japanese Les Paul replica
    - Godin LGT

I enjoy rock (modern and classic) and blues. Out of all of the above guitars I use the strat and the leas paul clone the most.

What would you recommend I get? and from which store would you recommend? I bought the strat at guitar centre in hollywood last time and they were great but I won't be swinging by hollywood this time.

Thanks
    Adam
    Check out the EVH wolfgang special and the Sterling by music man. Good guitars for the price.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

check out the new U.S.A. Strat Deluxe, you'll love the new S-3 switching
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, if you have a Tokai, then there will be no need to look for a Les Paul - one less guitar on the list. Those Tokais are great at proving that most of the Gibson's value reside on the headstock.

How about a nice used PRS? Those are cool guitars. I mention this because you have the Tokai and a Strat and a Tele. Pretty much covers a wide spectrum of tones...

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

10.29.11 @ 12:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mate...I went to Hollywood and Vegas in August and coming from Australia, when I walked into Guitar Centre in Hollywood my mouth dropped as that place shits all over any store we have here.

From the rock walk of fame at the front, the killer EVH window display with Eddies 2007 Pedalboard, red 5150 and current wolf's.

That place is basically all the stores in Australia put together, from current to vintage to custom.

I walked out with a Slash model wah....prices are SO MUCH CHEAPER you will never buy here again.

GO TO GUITAR CENTRE!!!
    "What is understood need not be discussed, and i'm a bad ass mother".

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:24 PM
    Liked 32 Times in 4 Posts

like the idea of the strat deluxe and have had my eye on them. i am a bit of a strat man. the prs sounds interesting but finding a used one in the timeframe might be tricky. Do guitar stores stock used and what model do I look for - I know the name but not much about the models.

The Wolf special looks like good value but the USA Peavey Wolf I have is special and would the EVH be better - it is also a mij guitar which is fine - but when in rome, buy local?

Will look up the Sterling - where is it made?

316 - bought my existing strat from gc in Hollywood and yes it was an awesome store with just unbeatable prices compared to us poor bastards here in Oz. is there GC in Vegas and is it as good? - for purchases that is - have done the rock walk and the EVH stuff at hollywood. even held EVH's original frankenstrat which they had on loan. i also got to see VH on that trip (back in 2007). did the entire follow VH around california thing and went to every notable vh site in LA.
    Her T-shirt ended early and her hot pants started late

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

Dude, if you are in Vegas, check the pawn shops first. You will be amazed at what some people will let go just to fund their gambling hablits (used guitars of course).

As far as brand, check out PRS. they make a great guitar. I have a Wolfgang Special (the new one white) and it kicks ass, super light, and plays like butter.

Good luck!
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Guitar centers suck, all of them. As ScottyB said, check out the pawn shops first, and if you have to, go to Ed Roman's (google ed roman) place and find something.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:08 PM
    Liked 731 Times in 346 Posts

I would say that if you are going to be in Vegas, you have to check out Ed Roman's shop. I know there is alot of negative things said about him, and it's probably justified, but I've heard he has a huge shop. It's at least worth a look. You may find something in there you just have to get.

As far as what guitar you should get:

Considering your price range, I have two main recommendations. I would say either a Charvel So-Cal or San Dimas, or the new EVH Wolfgang Special. Neither are USA made guitars, but they are both good quality and have excellent components.

If you want a "USA" guitar, there are some pretty good options for Fender Strats out there.

If you don't mind getting a used guitar, you could probably find a gently used EBMM in your price range. My favorites are the Axis, and the Luke.

Good Luck.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

If you like wolfgangs then try to score a peavey wolfgang standard/deluxe. The prices are low...I picked off a few for well under $1,000 USD.

In the non-chain stores be careful. They know that the prices are higher overseas. They can be talked down but if they know you already view it as a bargain they won't be.

What does it cost to get the brass or titanium big blocks in Australia? If you can one do it! Don't know how you would have it delivered to a hotel though.

Have a safe and fun trip.

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post

Considering your price range, I have two main recommendations. I would say either a Charvel So-Cal or San Dimas, or the new EVH Wolfgang Special. Neither are USA made guitars, but they are both good quality and have excellent components.
    I agree with that. I have 2 San Dimas'...great guitars. I got them off ebay though. One was $660 and the other cost me $850...both of them were new.

Did I get duped though? The USA ones were built elsewhere or do you mean the new ProMods?

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

10.29.11 @ 12:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

316 - bought my existing strat from gc in Hollywood and yes it was an awesome store with just unbeatable prices compared to us poor bastards here in Oz. is there GC in Vegas and is it as good? - for purchases that is - have done the rock walk and the EVH stuff at hollywood. even held EVH's original frankenstrat which they had on loan. i also got to see VH on that trip (back in 2007). did the entire follow VH around california thing and went to every notable vh site in LA.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if there is a GC in Vegas....was too busy checking out other stuff whilst at Vegas hahaha.

Only thing closest to a frankenstrat I have held is a frankie relic here in one of the shops...selling for $37,000. Looked like a wreck.....very big neck...high action.

But while you're in Hollywood.....check out the clubs. I went to the whisky just to check out the place and I couldn't belive how small it was. There was some rap show on but that was the only club I wanted to see just for the history. I would have gone to other clubs but no-one was really playing when I was there.

All I did was check out the sites of each club to try to find someone good who was playing...but it seems like the big acts don't really advertise as Ozzy played at the House of Blues Hollywood while I was in Vegas and Black Label Society was playing one night at the Roxy as I went to eat at the Rainbow Bar and Grill. The show was sold out as I tried to get in.

GC is killer though.....I ended up getting a photo of mee holding a new Wolf standing infront of a wall of 5150's in the room where all the custom gear is. Kind wish i'd plugged in but can't do it all hahaha.
    "What is understood need not be discussed, and i'm a bad ass mother".

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the 316 man View Post
    316 - bought my existing strat from gc in Hollywood and yes it was an awesome store with just unbeatable prices compared to us poor bastards here in Oz. is there GC in Vegas and is it as good? - for purchases that is - have done the rock walk and the EVH stuff at hollywood. even held EVH's original frankenstrat which they had on loan. i also got to see VH on that trip (back in 2007). did the entire follow VH around california thing and went to every notable vh site in LA

Not sure if there is a GC in Vegas....was too busy checking out other stuff whilst at Vegas hahaha.

Only thing closest to a frankenstrat I have held is a frankie relic here in one of the shops...selling for $37,000. Looked like a wreck.....very big neck...high action.

But while you're in Hollywood.....check out the clubs. I went to the whisky just to check out the place and I couldn't belive how small it was. There was some rap show on but that was the only club I wanted to see just for the history. I would have gone to other clubs but no-one was really playing when I was there.

All I did was check out the sites of each club to try to find someone good who was playing...but it seems like the big acts don't really advertise as Ozzy played at the House of Blues Hollywood while I was in Vegas and Black Label Society was playing one night at the Roxy as I went to eat at the Rainbow Bar and Grill. The show was sold out as I tried to get in.

GC is killer though.....I ended up getting a photo of mee holding a new Wolf standing infront of a wall of 5150's in the room where all the custom gear is. Kind wish i'd plugged in but can't do it all hahaha.
    Looks like there are 2 GC's in the Vegas area:
    Guitar Center Las Vegas - 4 miles away
    6587 S. Las Vegas Blvd. STE B172
    Las Vegas, Nevada 89119
    Phone: 702-450-2260
    Store Hours:
    Mon-Fri: 10-9 | Sat: 10-8 | Sun: 11-7

Directions:
    Located in the new Town Square Las Vegas Center, north of the 215, on Las Vegas Blvd.
    Quick Map

Guitar Center Summerlin - 2 miles away
    8621 W. Charleston Blvd. Suite 150
    Las Vegas, Nevada 89117
    Phone: 702-228-3858
    Store Hours:
    Mon-Thur: 11-9 | Fri: 10-9 | Sat: 10-7 | Sun: 11-6

Directions:
    On W. Charleston Blvd. west of S. Durango Dr. near Walgreens. Plenty of well lit parking spaces.
    Quick Map
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,339 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by digadam View Post
    like the idea of the strat deluxe and have had my eye on them. i am a bit of a strat man. the prs sounds interesting but finding a used one in the timeframe might be tricky. Do guitar stores stock used and what model do I look for - I know the name but not much about the models.

The Wolf special looks like good value but the USA Peavey Wolf I have is special and would the EVH be better - it is also a mij guitar which is fine - but when in rome, buy local?

Will look up the Sterling - where is it made?

316 - bought my existing strat from gc in Hollywood and yes it was an awesome store with just unbeatable prices compared to us poor bastards here in Oz. is there GC in Vegas and is it as good? - for purchases that is - have done the rock walk and the EVH stuff at hollywood. even held EVH's original frankenstrat which they had on loan. i also got to see VH on that trip (back in 2007). did the entire follow VH around california thing and went to every notable vh site in LA.
    Sterling is made by Ernie Ball. And with their track record I don't care where they're made the quality for the price is amazing. And after I played a Wolfgang special for the third time I highly recommend it. I even put those pickups in one of my guitars after playing it thats how much it sold me. Just because its made in the USA doesn't mean jack squat. Fender and Gibson are notorious for putting out crap.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

you could always go for a slightly different option..

Parker Dragonfly, they're pretty unique and versatile
    you might even find something really cool like a Fano Alt De Facto JM6
    or Fender Mustang

best thing to do is search around and see what catches your eyes and ears, we're all different, one mans Wolfgang is another mans Telecaster!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!