Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

04.03.15 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default power amp question

would a halfer p1500 have what it takes to run a 412 guitar for a wet signal
    here are the p1500's spec: http://www.hafler.com/home/
    P1500 Specifications
    Power Rating 75 Watts/channel @ 8 Ohms
    85 Watts/channel @ 4 Ohms
    170 Watts bridged/mono @ 8 Ohms
    Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) <0.2% (20Hz-20kHz)
    Signal-to-Noise 100dB A Weighted
    Full Power Bandwidth 0.15Hz to 300kHz (+0/3dB)
    Slew Rate 100V/s
    CMRR (Common Mode Rejection Ratio) 75dB at 1kHz
    Input Impedance 47k Ohms per phase balanced
    Gain +14dB min. / +29dB max.
    Input Sensitivity Range 437mV to 2.4V (@ 8 Ohms) per phase balanced
    330mV to 1.8V (@ 4 Ohms) per phase balanced
    Damping Factor 350 (to 1kHz)
    150 (to 10kHz)
    18 (to 100kHz)
    Power Consumption 60W / 500mA @ 120VAC (idle power)
    230W / 1.9A @ 120VAC (1/8 power 8 Ohms)
    325W / 2.70A @ 120VAC (max. power 8 Ohms)
    Indicators Power, Signal, Clipping, Thermal, Short
    Dimensions 19W x 8.5D x 3.5H (2-rack spaces)
    (48.26cm x 12.59cm x 8.89cm)
    Net Weight 21.6 lbs. (9.98kg)

I have been trying to find a couple power amps to run 2 wet 412 cabs, since u need a note from god to get a H/H V800 power amp!
    if these won't/can't do what i'm looking for any one have any power amp suggestions? I have seen some H/H V150L Mosfet online used, would they work?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xraytech View Post
    would a halfer p1500 have what it takes to run a 412 guitar for a wet signal
    here are the p1500's spec: http://www.hafler.com/home/
    P1500 Specifications
    Power Rating 75 Watts/channel @ 8 Ohms
    85 Watts/channel @ 4 Ohms
    170 Watts bridged/mono @ 8 Ohms
    Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) <0.2% (20Hz-20kHz)
    Signal-to-Noise 100dB “A” Weighted
    Full Power Bandwidth 0.15Hz to 300kHz (+0/–3dB)
    Slew Rate 100V/s
    CMRR (Common Mode Rejection Ratio) 75dB at 1kHz
    Input Impedance 47k Ohms per phase balanced
    Gain +14dB min. / +29dB max.
    Input Sensitivity Range 437mV to 2.4V (@ 8 Ohms) per phase balanced
    330mV to 1.8V (@ 4 Ohms) per phase balanced
    Damping Factor 350 (to 1kHz)
    150 (to 10kHz)
    18 (to 100kHz)
    Power Consumption 60W / 500mA @ 120VAC (idle power)
    230W / 1.9A @ 120VAC (1/8 power – 8 Ohms)
    325W / 2.70A @ 120VAC (max. power – 8 Ohms)
    Indicators Power, Signal, Clipping, Thermal, Short
    Dimensions 19”W x 8.5”D x 3.5”H (2-rack spaces)
    (48.26cm x 12.59cm x 8.89cm)
    Net Weight 21.6 lbs. (9.98kg)

I have been trying to find a couple power amps to run 2 wet 412 cabs, since u need a note from god to get a H/H V800 power amp!
    if these won't/can't do what i'm looking for any one have any power amp suggestions? I have seen some H/H V150L Mosfet online used, would they work?

You really only need 1 stereo power amp to run your wet cabs. I'd say anything in the 75-200 watt range should be just fine. I've got a wet/dry/wet setup and I run a cheapo stereo power amp @100 watts per side -- sounds great. Your main amp is making all of the tone, then your harmonizer is adding to that, and then the speakers will add their tone on output, so really, you just need a decent power amp to get you there. The tone is not coming from it at all -- just the volume.

And for the record, the first and only Hafler power amp I've ever dealt with in person was a G150 that I was supposed to repair. (I fix amps for a local guitar shop) It promptly tried to flame out on me, and when I cracked it open and looked inside, it had a bunch of obviously hand soldered components just added onto it.... and I think it came like that from the factory....
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 11.06.10 at 11:14 AM.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

if you run the fx cabs at 8 ohms you will be perfect. if the cabs are 16 ohm maybe/maybe not depending on how much volume you need. the H/H v800 is 400wx2 at 4 ohms, so when run into 16 ohm cabs like EVH does it is really about 120wx2.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cause I know the the cabs I have (2 peaveys ) are 16 ohms and the marshall I'm getting is 8ohms or 16 ohms! cause my plan was to run one of my Sde 3000 set 250ms to one wet cab, the other sde 3000 set 500ms to the other wet cab, and the lexicon out to both wet cabs, but what do I need to split the singal this way! I know that ed uses the palmer speaker simulator and a Bradshaw Amp selector/router, but that a little expensive for me right now! lol so what other devices can achieve this for me? cause I plan to get a voodo labs floor controller and switcher!
    but I'm unsure of what power amps to get and what to get to send the singal 3 ways!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what stereo amp are you using????/

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    You really only need 1 stereo power amp to run your wet cabs. I'd say anything in the 75-200 watt range should be just fine. I've got a wet/dry/wet setup and I run a cheapo stereo power amp @100 watts per side -- sounds great. Your main amp is making all of the tone, then your harmonizer is adding to that, and then the speakers will add their tone on output, so really, you just need a decent power amp to get you there. The tone is not coming from it at all -- just the volume.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cause I know the the cabs I have (2 peaveys ) are 16 ohms and the marshall I'm getting is 8ohms or 16 ohms! cause my plan was to run one of my Sde 3000 set 250ms to one wet cab, the other sde 3000 set 500ms to the other wet cab, and the lexicon out to both wet cabs, but what do I need to split the singal this way! I know that ed uses the palmer speaker simulator and a Bradshaw Amp selector/router, but that a little expensive for me right now! lol so what other devices can achieve this for me? cause I plan to get a voodo labs floor controller and switcher!
    but I'm unsure of what power amps to get and what to get to send the singal 3 ways!
    Depends on what you are doing with the lexicon. If it's stereo, run it after the delays, (1 on each side of those = stereo).

For my wet/dry/wet rig, I use a Weber Mass Lite 100. Just like Ed used his palmer, I just use my Mass Lite to pull a signal from the head before it hits the speakers. I rarely ever use the attenuation on the Mass Lite -- I just leave that on bypass, but it still sends a line level signal out regardless of if you are using attenuation or not. A Hot Plate will also do this as far as I know, but the weber seems to be built like a tank, and it's cheaper.

Once I have a line-level signal coming out of my Mass Lite (which is placed in between the head and the dry cab), that signal is mono, and sounds like crap -- but that is how you want it. That is the signal you start sending to your wet/wet effects. In my case, I send it first to the mono input on my Digitech 2120 artist. You could place a mono flanger or phaser or some other mono effect right before the 2120 if I want. Then I use the 2120 to split the signal to stereo internally. I then have a slight detunes running on the left and right sides. From there, I insert another 2120 stereo effect -- my delays. In your case, you would run the stereo signal out of the detuner and right into both of your delays. From there, you run the Left side to the left side of your lexicon, Right side to the right side of the lexicon, or thru any other effects you want like that -- keeping the left and right signal SEPARATE. Then you run out of whatever the last effect in the chain is to the Left and Right inputs on your power amp, which then drives your Left and Right wet cabs.

I use this with 16ohm cabs. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...Amp?sku=481216. It keeps up with my dry cab blasting away just fine.

Eruption
    Last Online

mrj's suggestions are good ones. that amp he linked you to would work perfectly, and then you need something to convert your main amp to a line out signal. again, his suggestions are good. the hot plate or weber being a good choice. your problem here is that if you don't get some kind of switcher, all of your effects will be on all the time and how are you going to change? i am assuming here you are trying to re-create EVH's rig. well ex: when he uses the lexicon for cathedral, the delays are off, and when he plays the rest of the time the lexicon is off, etc. you could also have a bit of unwanted noise and level problems with those particular effects on all the time as they are very old and technology has changed quite a bit. if this is a low volume home thing that won't matter though.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommytom11 View Post
    . your problem here is that if you don't get some kind of switcher, all of your effects will be on all the time and how are you going to change? i am assuming here you are trying to re-create EVH's rig. well ex: when he uses the lexicon for cathedral, the delays are off, and when he plays the rest of the time the lexicon is off, etc. you could also have a bit of unwanted noise and level problems with those particular effects on all the time as they are very old and technology has changed quite a bit. if this is a low volume home thing that won't matter though.
    I'm getting a voodoo Labs Switcher and Voodoo labs floor controller, hopefully very soon!!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

I'm getting a voodoo Labs Switcher and Voodoo labs floor controller, hopefully very soon!!!!
    there you go. you put the fxs in loops and turn them on/off as needed

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, well just substitute in the switcher (and all of its effects loops) where I was talking about putting all of your wet effects.

So you can run the line out of a Weber Mass or Hotplate -> switcher input (with bypass so all effects can be taken out of the loop) -> switcher loops with any mono effects -> splitter to stereo that's always on, or a piece of rack gear that splits the signal to stereo that you choose to always leave on -> switcher loops containing each of your pieces of rack gear in stereo (you will have to assign it to dual-switch the left and right sides of each effect at the same time, unless it has stereo loops) -> output of the switcher -> poweramp.

This kind of thing is tons of fun.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that gem sound XP350 stereo power amp is dicontinued, would this one Gem sound that is still on market do the job
    http://www.gemsound.com/products_amp...s-exa1950.html

or this GEM sound Stereo power amp:
    PA-2505 800W:
    specs:
    400 watts per channel RMS @ 4 ohm
    200 watts per channel RMS @ 8 ohm
    Left-Right level controls
    Large UV meters
    Inputs: RCA, 1/4" & Balanced XLR
    Outputs: Banana Binding Post, 1/4" & Speakon
    Protect LED & Peak LED
    Parallel Stereo Bridge
    3 Input Sensitivity Switch 1, 1.5 and 7 volts
    Dual Fan cooled
    Rack mountable
    110v/220v switchable
    Ground Lift
    Dimensions: 19"W x 3.5"H x 17.5"D
    Weight - 36 lbs

which THD would be best to get 16ohm or the 8ohm?
    Last edited by Xraytech; 11.06.10 at 06:09 PM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that gem sound XP350 stereo power amp is dicontinued, would this one Gem sound that is still on market do the job
    http://www.gemsound.com/products_amp...s-exa1950.html

or this GEM sound Stereo power amp:
    PA-2505 800W:
    specs:
    400 watts per channel RMS @ 4 ohm
    200 watts per channel RMS @ 8 ohm
    Left-Right level controls
    Large UV meters
    Inputs: RCA, 1/4" & Balanced XLR
    Outputs: Banana Binding Post, 1/4" & Speakon
    Protect LED & Peak LED
    Parallel Stereo Bridge
    3 Input Sensitivity Switch 1, 1.5 and 7 volts
    Dual Fan cooled
    Rack mountable
    110v/220v switchable
    Ground Lift
    Dimensions: 19"W x 3.5"H x 17.5"D
    Weight - 36 lbs

which THD would be best to get 16ohm or the 8ohm?
    Either one would work. Any Peavey Solid State power amp would work well too, although it would cost more.

Get whichever THD matches the impedence of your dry cab. So if it's a 16 ohm cab, get the 16ohm Hotplate.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

or this one?
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--SAMSX1200

cause the guy selling the PA 2505 doesn't ship out side of the US

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

or this one?
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--SAMSX1200

cause the guy selling the PA 2505 doesn't ship out side of the US
    That one is most likely ok too. Pretty much any power amp that's not gonna color the sound a ton will work. The only reason I mentioned the Gemsound is because it's worked great for me and I know how it sounds (very transparent). I also know how good Peavey amps are in general, plus I know of a guy who uses one in an EVH wet/dry/wet rig and he's got the tone dead on.

So really, unless you happen to find a poweramp that really colors the sound, anything should work.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

kool, this one I'm going to get! so don't be suprized if I ask more questions when i start running the rig like this!
    after looking at the prices of THD 16ohm model, i just might save up the extra cash and get the pamler speaker simulator! lol