Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:03 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Default A mother's anti-homophobia rant goes viral

Her son's gender-bending Halloween costume outraged other parents -- so she penned an eloquent, moving response
    This is how it's done, folks. When the Bible Belt blogger known as Nerdy Apple Bottom's 5-year-old son wanted to be Daphne from Scooby Doo for Halloween this year, she supported his costume choice, orange wig and pink boots and all. Because duh, it's Halloween; the point is to be somebody you're not.

On Friday, the self-described "cop's wife" hinted about her child's experience at school that day on her blog by saying, "I am so proud of my brave little Daphne…. He had a few moments where he was worked up about people making fun of him, but mustered up the courage to go for it. He held his little orange wig high today," and "for those of you that looked at my sweet boy in disdain this morning, or looked at me funny for 'allowing' my son to be what he wanted to for Halloween, or made those snide and unnecessary comments -- your lives are small, your tact is lacking, and you can SUCK IT!"

This week she expanded on the experience and the sentiment, with a warm, funny cri de coeur entitled "My son is gay." She went on: "Or he’s not. I don’t care. He is still my son. And he is 5. And I am his mother. And if you have a problem with anything mentioned above, I don’t want to know you." Bada BING.

It should be a no-brainer that 5-year-old boy who dresses like Daphne one day a year is not automatically gay or transgendered -- although obviously, if he had wanted to be Velma, he'd be a lesbian. The point is, as the mom blogger beautifully expresses it, so what? And furthermore, "I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off."

It didn't take long for Nerdy Apple Bottom's eloquent, passionate post to start making making the rounds as a refreshing example of great parenting in action – and a sobering reminder that even the youngest boys and girls who stray outside the most rigid of gender expectations scare the crap out of a lot of people. In a pathetic, non Halloween-ish way.

Continue reading
    Though the inevitable handful of trolls has shown up in the blogger's comments, the response has been overwhelmingly supportive, positive and wildly enthusiastic. Think of it as nature's way of refreshing our faith in humanity after Clint McCance's notorious Facebook diatribe last week that "I would disown my kids they were gay. They will not be welcome at my home or in my vicinity. I will absolutely run them off."

The clear and simple message to accept your children – whether they're gay or straight, in pink boots or prepubescent boy bands -- got another boost on Wednesday, when, in an interview with Access Hollywood, Ricky Martin shared the story of coming out to his mother. "She said, 'Come on, give me a hug. You are my son and I love you and I will always be here for you. And then my father told me… 'You don’t have to say a word. I love you and I just want you to be happy.'" Any questions?

As the blogger herself says it, "If he wants to carry a purse, or marry a man, or paint fingernails with his best girlfriend, then ok. My job as his mother is not to stifle that man that he will be, but to help him along his way. Mine is not to dictate what is 'normal' and what is not, but to help him become a good person." And if you want to raise a good man, sometimes you've got to give him the freedom to be an adorable girl.

http://moms.today.com/_question/2010...thes-yes-or-no

her blog
    http://nerdyapplebottom.com/2010/11/...is-gay/?ref=nf

My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Anybody who is going to take issue with a 5 year old kid wanting to dress up like a character from a kids movie (male or female) needs a swift kick to the ovaries or testicles because they should never be allowed to have kids as they themselves must have forgotten what it was like to be a kid.

Good for that Mother and shame on any parent who scowls at a child who is actually dressing UP for Halloween regardless of the sex of WHO they are dressing up as.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think he looks awesome! What a cool kid. And his mom seems cool, too.

Good for both of them!

and fuck off Moms A,B and C.
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

"Shutthefuckupity" - DIF on John Cusack.

"Baby, where'd you sleep last night?
    Your hair is all tangled
    and you ain't walking right." - Robert Johnson

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Couldn't help but think of this old SNL commercial when I read this.....

Good grief. Does anyone have anyone have common sense anymore? I'm stunned that anyone would post a picture of their 5 year old dressed as a girl with the headline "My son is Gay". It sounds like mom wants go turn her kid into a little martyr for the gay cause. The 5 year old kid himself realized that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to dress up as a girl but mom just ignored his concerns and told him that it was a great idea. This is all about the mom's ego. "Hey everyone! Look how enlightened I am! My 5 year old might be gay and not only am I supportive, I'm encouraging of it". And when someone gives her an odd look, they're the one with the problem.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but....I just don't get this.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

One more point, my 4 year old refuses to wear clothes around the house. He hits the door and strips right down to his tighty whities. I'm sure that he would prefer that I let him go to preschool in just his underwear, yet I will continue to follow my best parental judgement and have him conform to societal norms by having him wear clothes (boy clothes) to school.

There. My "hate speech" rant is done.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gavs5150 View Post
    One more point, my 4 year old refuses to wear clothes around the house. He hits the door and strips right down to his tighty whities. I'm sure that he would prefer that I let him go to preschool in just his underwear, yet I will continue to follow my best parental judgement and have him conform to societal norms by having him wear clothes (boy clothes) to school.

There. My "hate speech" rant is done.

a boy dressing as a cartoon character girl for a Halloween party in school is very different than a child going to school in his underwear on any random school day.

I think I see what you are getting at but the two situations are quite different.
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

Your hair is all tangled

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 18,051 Times in 8,922 Posts

I am sure many on here would disagree with me, but I would try to talk my five year old out of dressing up as a girl just because of how people would react, not that I would have a problem with it.

Growing up is hard enough without being teased for being a girl, cross dresser, gay, etc.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I am sure many on here would disagree with me, but I would try to talk my five year old out of dressing up as a girl just because of how people would react, not that I would have a problem with it.

Growing up is hard enough without being teased for being a girl, cross dresser, gay, etc.
    When we were kids, one of my brothers friends dressed up as a woman for a school dance. Everyone thought is was a riot. He was older than this kid, he was an early teen, a hockey player, kind of a tough kid. I think that's what made it funnier. He had a ball with it. Thats what the day is all about... dressing up for FUN.

Your hair is all tangled

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:36 PM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

he's a kid...it's Halloween...and kids really don't think like adults...until adults teach them to think like adults

..sounds like the kids understood that what he was planning was unusual, but the Mom stood by him and said whatever he would choose she would support

we spend too much time trying to squash kids creativity and their playful spirits

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

So let's look at the equasion here....

"gay" + Halloween + Bible Belt

The mother (who's side I'm on BTW) couldn't be that shocked by the dopey reaction of these parents. I mean seriously....how can ya not see it coming?

I put "gay" in quotes as the obvious local knee-jerk reaction to this whole thing.

Oh, and I love this quote to death.....

"I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off."
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 18,051 Times in 8,922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diamondsgirl View Post
    When we were kids, one of my brothers friends dressed up as a woman for a school dance. Everyone thought is was a riot. He was older than this kid, he was an early teen, a hockey player, kind of a tough kid. I think that's what made it funnier. He had a ball with it. Thats what the day is all about... dressing up for FUN.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but lets use your example but instead of a tough hockey player, you take an effeminate kid who is into drama class and have him dress up as a woman.

Knowing the high school I went too, he would have gotten teased for the rest of his high school life and been worrying about getting his ass kicked.

Not saying it is right, just saying that is how it is.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but lets use your example but instead of a tough hockey player, you take an effeminate kid who is into drama class and have him dress up as a woman.

Knowing the high school I went too, he would have gotten teased for the rest of his high school life and been worrying about getting his ass kicked.

Not saying it is right, just saying that is how it is.
    After I posted my last post, I thought about it. I can not remember any other costumes that any of my brothers friends ever wore. Just this one. Without realizing it, I was obviously effected by it (not negatively, but still). I can still see in my mind clearly what he looked like, his wig, his lipstick, his high heels. This was like 30 years ago. Interesting.

Your hair is all tangled

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

You mean kind of like what's going to happen to this kid for the rest of his school life because his mom decided to make national news by posting this photo with the headline "My Son is Gay"? To quote Super Bad when Jonah Hill makes fun of the soccer player for pissing his pants.

Soccer Player: "That was like 8 years ago, asshole!"
    Jonah Hill: "People don't forget!"

It's true. People don't forget and this poor kid is going to have to deal with it. Growing up is hard enough without being branded at age 5 as a gay/cross dresser. His mom should have known better.

This kid has been completely hung out to dry by his mom who had to know that it wasn't a good idea. It's bad enough that she encouraged it but then she goes nation wide with her blog. My biggest problem with it is that if this kid does turn out to be gay, it should be his choice (when he fully understands the repercussions) to decide how and when he wants to "out" himself. It should not be up to his mom, who sounds like a complete nightmare. I also would be very curious to know what this kid's dad thinks about it.
    Last edited by gavs5150; 11.08.10 at 10:01 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

Well while I admire the parents courage of going through with this, they are not looking out for the best interests of the kid. Unfortunately school isn't Will and Grace and most likely this kid will be reminded of this costume for years to come.

Maybe he will be fine with it and be stronger for it. Maybe he will bullied during his formative years and will develop issues? Who knows but I do know that the parents allowance of the costume has opened up the possibility of ridicule in the future.

Personally I don't have an issue with gays but I feel that at 5 years old, you should be trying to guide your kid to a path that is more the norm. I mean if the kid is gay, he sure won't know at 5 because kids don't think like that. I am sure this kid probably won't get all the Christmas presents from Santa this year and will be able to adjust to it. The parents should have said "ehhh what about a pirate."

The quote is cool but what happens if your 14 year old daughter wants to get a tramp stamp? Does getting it make her more likely to be a stripper? No but I doubt very much parents would be taking their daughters to tattoo parlors.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

I don't know - you do have gay people that say "I knew I was gay when I was 3" and stuff like that - don't know whether or not I believe them, but you never know. I don't think at 5 it should be too much of an issue - do five year olds really know the difference between gay/straight unless someone older makes an issue of it (then again, these days, they probably do)? I agree it's a bigger issue now because his mom made a big deal out of it. She probably should've a: tried to talk him out of it and b: failing that, told him, "Look, if people make fun of your costume, just say "It's Halloween, dude"" and left it at that. If he asked why people would make fun of him, just tell him some people might find it odd that a boy is dressing like a girl.

I also liked the quote "I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off." ! That may have been the only thing she got right!