Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default No Citizenship Proof Required to Vote

PHOENIX -- A federal appeals court on Tuesday struck down a key part of Arizona's law requiring voters to prove they are citizens before registering to vote and to show identification before casting ballots.

The decision by a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found that the law requiring voters to prove their citizenship while registering is inconsistent with the National Voter Registration Act. That federal law allows voters to fill out a mail-in voter registration card and swear they are citizens under penalty of perjury, but doesn't require them to show proof as Arizona's law does.

The ruling left in place a requirement that voters provide proof of identity when casting ballots.

Lawyers for several civil rights groups that sued argued thousands of Arizonans have had their federal registration forms rejected because they failed to provide other documents required by the state. That violates the federal law, they argued.

The state law in question, Proposition 200, was passed by voters in 2004. It required proof of citizenship during voter registration and of identity at the polls, and also while receiving certain state benefits.

It has been upheld by state and federal courts until Tuesday's decision.

In a statement, one of the attorneys who argued the case said his group was "elated" by the decision.

"This will enable the many poor people in Arizona who lack driver's licenses and birth certificates to register to vote," said Jon Greenbaum, legal director for the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard's office issued a statement saying it intends to ask a full panel of 9th Circuit judges to reconsider the case.

The ruling applies only to voter registration and the deadline for voting in the Nov. 2 general election has passed, so it will have no practical effect on voting, the statement said.

Appeals Court Judge Sandra S. Ikuta's opinion was joined by retired U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who heard the case as a temporary appeals court judge. Ikuta said the federal voter registration law laid out specific requirements for the mail-in registration form that the state can't make more onerous.

"There is no room for Arizona to impose ... an additional identification requirement as a prerequisite to federal voter registration for registrants using that form," Ikuta wrote.

The panel's ruling overturned a previous 9th Circuit panel ruling that found Proposition 200 did not violate the National Voter Registration Act.

The 9th Circuit's chief judge, Alex Kozinski, wrote a sharp dissent, saying the ruling ignored precedent and was flat wrong on its legal analysis.

"Few panels are able to upset quite so many apple carts all at once," Kozinski concluded. "Count me out."

Gov. Jan Brewer and Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett issued a joint statement calling the decision an "outrage and a slap in the face to all Arizonans who care about the integrity of their elections."

"Arizona voters have made their will crystal clear -- non-citizens do not have the right to vote," they wrote. "We will continue to pursue any and all legal remedies to prevent fraudulent voter registration in the State of Arizona, as well as the right of our state citizens to craft appropriate protections."

The panel agreed with a district court judge who ruled in 2008 that the law does not constitutes a poll tax or disproportionally impact minority voting. It also rejected two constitutional arguments brought by the groups that sued.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

in ohio you don't even have to prove that you are alive....just mail me the ballot...I'll mail it right back!

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:08 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

To me it is common sense that you should be able to prove who you are to be able to vote.

But I guess that is why I am not in politics.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

If I showed up at my polling place to vote without ID I would be turned away. As a matter of fact if I went to a polling place outside my district even with ID I would be turned away. This is just ridiculous. I guess this is how democrats get elected.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

The that requires to show ID when at voting polls is still in effect. It's just registering and doing a mail in vote. There are still ways to vote being an illegal, but it would take someone with a lot of balls to do it, especially here in Phoenix.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Maricopa County Sheriff isn't at all the polling locations asking about citizen ship on election day. They already do their "crime suppression sweeps" where they roadblock places and pull everyone over and ask if they are a citizen. (This has put them in a lot of hot water politically as well).

The biggest thing here that's always overlooked is our crappy laws that prevent (or severely hinder them) to becoming citizens or legal residents.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's an invasion!

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    PHOENIX -- A federal appeals court on Tuesday struck down a key part of Arizona's law requiring voters to prove they are citizens before registering to vote and to show identification before casting ballots.

The decision by a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found that the law requiring voters to prove their citizenship while registering is inconsistent with the National Voter Registration Act. That federal law allows voters to fill out a mail-in voter registration card and swear they are citizens under penalty of perjury, but doesn't require them to show proof as Arizona's law does.

The ruling left in place a requirement that voters provide proof of identity when casting ballots.
    This is just unbelievably stupid to make the distinction. If you show up at the poll, you have to show proof of identity, if you do it by mail, you just have to "swear" that you're telling the truth. Exactly who is going to investigate if people are being honest?? Is someone going back through every mail in ballot and matching it to the database of citizens?? This is a joke.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

These court cases and stories of voter fraud always come up during election time because certain people want you to think that people voting illegally or twice or as Mickey Mouse is a real and substantial problem. In fact, it is meant to intimidate and scare people from going to the polls. If voter fraud is a significant problem, then please explain why the Bush Justice Department, who vigorously went after voter fraud cases, convicted only 20 people in those 8 years, or 4 election cycles? Voter fraud isn't a problem nor can it alter an election in any substantial manner - unlike election fraud.
    Last edited by gabby gabbster; 10.28.10 at 10:31 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by gabby gabbster View Post
    These court cases and stories of voter fraud always come up during election time because certain people want you to think that people voting illegally or twice or as Mickey Mouse is a real and substantial problem. In fact, it is meant to intimidate and scare people from going to the polls. If voter fraud is a significant problem, then please explain why the Bush Justice Department, who vigorously went after voter fraud cases, convicted only 20 people in those 8 years, or 4 election cycles? Voter fraud isn't a problem nor can it alter an election in any substantial manner - unlike election fraud.
    You watched Olbermann last night didn't you. He said that almost word for word on his show last night.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    You watched Olbermann last night didn't you. He said that almost word for word on his show last night.
    Cool, I'm glad you watch Olbermann too. Though I liked him better when he was a sports commentator. Now please refute what he or I said cuz those mehicanos are itchin to vote.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Just curious but can you have stories about election fraud when there isn't an election? I don't really expect to hear lavish tales of deceit at the polls when there are no polls open do you?

When are stories about Election fraud supposed to happen?

FYI but Election Fraud has been around prior to Bush. They have talked about JFK stealing the election from Nixon and last time I checked that was before Bush was in office.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One word = ACORN
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:10 AM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

New O'Keefe Video Allegedly Shows Democratic Poll Workers Assisting Illegal, Non-Citizen to Vote in NC

30 Oct 2014

Conservative activist James O’Keefe’s Project Veritas is out with a new video showing Democratic campaign workers appearing to condone and assist an individual posing as an illegal immigrant to vote in North Carolina.
    In the video, a woman pretending to be an illegal immigrant from Brazil asks a number of campaign workers — many working for candidates running for law enforcement offices in the state — if she can vote, despite being an illegal immigrant. Each person the video shows her asking answers that it is not a problem.

It is illegal for a non-citizen to vote, regardless of whether they have been inadvertently placed on the voter rolls. The State Board of Elections recently revealed that more than 1,400 non-citizens are on North Carolina voting rolls. The body stressed that it is “working to ensure that no ballot cast by a non-citizen will count in this or any future election.”

It is also illegal for a person to knowingly assist a non-citizen to vote.

Nevertheless, O’Keefe’s video appears to show that some Democratic campaign workers are more than willing to allow and assist non-citizens to cast votes in North Carolina.

North Carolina is currently home to one of the tightest races in the country between Sen. Kay Hagan (D-NC) and Republican state House Speaker Thom Tillis.

A recent study about non-citizen voting speculated that illegal, non-citizen votes swayed the 2008 election of Al Franken (D-MN) and President Obama’s victory in North Carolina during his run for president in 2008.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Default No Citizenship Proof Required to Vote

Well this is good news....I know some Pakistani's living on the Korean peninsula that wanted to get their vote in.......
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls