Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Floyd Rose help

  1. #1
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,254
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,316
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default Floyd Rose help

    I'm thinking of putting a Floyd in my OLP and I've been doing some reserch and found that most all EBMM nut sizes are an R3 however I'm used to an R2. My question is can I still put an R2 on my guitar or does it have to be an R3? And why is nut width of any importance?

  2. #2
    Eruption
    Join Date
    06.19.07
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    764
    Last Online

    07.18.17 @ 01:14 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    You can use an R2 on a neck that's cut for an R3, but you'll probably have to shim it because the R2 isn't as tall as an R3. You'll also have 1/32" space on each size too, but that's no big deal.
    Divebomb, Inc.
    Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer
    Authorized Seymour Duncan Dealer
    Armor Piercing Guitars, Parts, and Accessories
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

  3. #3
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,254
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,316
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DivebombInc View Post
    You can use an R2 on a neck that's cut for an R3, but you'll probably have to shim it because the R2 isn't as tall as an R3. You'll also have 1/32" space on each size too, but that's no big deal.
    Its not even cut for it. I'll have to have it installed. It has a traditional tremolo on it now.

  4. #4
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Its not even cut for it. I'll have to have it installed. It has a traditional tremolo on it now.
    I put a floyd with an R2 on my OLP... fit perfectly. If I'm remembering right, I put an R3 on my friend's OLP when I put a floyd on his and it also fit perfectly... his was the older batch of OLPs, mine was the newer. So either their quality control was terrible, or they changed their necks at some point.

    Both of those guitars played great though.

  5. #5
    Eruption
    Join Date
    01.26.04
    Posts
    1,291
    Last Online

    01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Try switching out the R2 with a D2.




  6. #6
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,254
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,316
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I put a floyd with an R2 on my OLP... fit perfectly. If I'm remembering right, I put an R3 on my friend's OLP when I put a floyd on his and it also fit perfectly... his was the older batch of OLPs, mine was the newer. So either their quality control was terrible, or they changed their necks at some point.

    Both of those guitars played great though.
    So how do I figure out which to put on?

  7. #7
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,420
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Likes
    18
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    My question is can I still put an R2 on my guitar or does it have to be an R3?
    Quote Originally Posted by DivebombInc View Post
    You can use an R2 on a neck that's cut for an R3, but you'll probably have to shim it because the R2 isn't as tall as an R3. You'll also have 1/32" space on each size too, but that's no big deal.
    R2 and R3 Floyd nuts are not interchangeable.

    Here's a pic of an R2 (L) and an R3 (R). Notice the difference in dimensions...

    The R3 requires a deeper "shelf" cut for installation. If you were to affix an R2 onto an R3 slot, the unit would be sitting too deepst. It might work if you added shims, but you'd need quite a few.


    Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    And why is nut width of any importance?
    It's a matter of preference.
    I always specify my necks to be prepped for an R2 (1 5/8") even when the neck is 1 11/16" or 1 3/4" width. That way, I have that extra space on the sides of both E strings.
    Last edited by jimi11580; 10.25.10 at 07:22 PM.
    WGAF?!!

  8. #8
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    So how do I figure out which to put on?
    You can measure the neck width at the nut. See if it's closer to 1 5/8" or a 1 11/16". If you can get to a store, you could also hold up an R2 nut to it and see how it matches up.

  9. #9
    Eruption
    Join Date
    06.19.07
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    764
    Last Online

    07.18.17 @ 01:14 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DivebombInc View Post
    You can use an R2 on a neck that's cut for an R3, but you'll probably have to shim it because the R2 isn't as tall as an R3. You'll also have 1/32" space on each size too, but that's no big deal.
    You can use an R2 nut on an R3 neck, but you have to shim it.

    The Fender Frankenstein I had here had 4 shims. Those are R4 necks with R2 nuts.
    Divebomb, Inc.
    Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer
    Authorized Seymour Duncan Dealer
    Armor Piercing Guitars, Parts, and Accessories
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

  10. #10
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,254
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,316
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Same guitar different question, is hooking up a pickup difficult on this guitar? Plan on buying a EVH Wolfgang pickup to put in the bridge.

  11. #11
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Same guitar different question, is hooking up a pickup difficult on this guitar? Plan on buying a EVH Wolfgang pickup to put in the bridge.
    No, it's the same as pretty much any other humbucker guitar, and there is plenty of room in the control cavity to work with. What I would do though, is replace the pickup selector switch and volume pot while you are in there. The pickup selector they used in those is terrible, and it's very hard to resolder things to it and do it without destroying it.

    Also, the pot in there is probably one of those horrible cheap mini-pots... if I'm remembering correctly I had to replace mine really fast because the resistive element in it broke, so it was like my volume was always half down, and it cut out like crazy.

    But like I said, all pretty simple and standard stuff when upgrading things on a guitar.

  12. #12
    On Fire
    Join Date
    05.20.09
    Posts
    356
    Last Online

    01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DivebombInc View Post
    You can use an R2 nut on an R3 neck, but you have to shim it.

    The Fender Frankenstein I had here had 4 shims. Those are R4 necks with R2 nuts.
    Kyle, your necks are prepared for an R2, right, as far as depht is concerned? I hate shims...

  13. #13
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,254
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,316
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Alright. So I went and saw the local luthier and he told me that putiing a locking nut on my guitar would be difficult with the way the neck drops off at the tuners. So instead I may use schaller tuners to act as the locking device. Is this gonna work or am I going to have to retune alot?

  14. #14
    Unchained 5150jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.01.07
    Age
    51
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    526
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the one
    Last Online

    01.06.11 @ 05:09 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Alright. So I went and saw the local luthier and he told me that putiing a locking nut on my guitar would be difficult with the way the neck drops off at the tuners. So instead I may use schaller tuners to act as the locking device. Is this gonna work or am I going to have to retune alot?
    Naw, plenty of people have put locking nuts on the olp neck.

  15. #15
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5150jeff View Post
    Naw, plenty of people have put locking nuts on the olp neck.
    I've done 2 that worked out perfectly.....

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Another Floyd Rose Question
    By Cheddie in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03.31.06, 03:25 PM
  2. Anybody put a floyd Rose on a LP?
    By around2k5150 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05.26.05, 04:09 PM
  3. Floyd Rose?
    By beetlejuice in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12.22.02, 06:32 AM
  4. EVH Floyd Rose?
    By raven in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02.25.01, 11:51 PM
  5. Floyd Rose vibrations...
    By VHDOF in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11.06.00, 04:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •