Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Default The Rite (2011)

Saw this trailer before Paranormal Activity 2 on Saturday night.

Even though this stuff (demonic possession, exorcisms, etc) scares the living shit out of me, I always find myself very intrigued about the subject matter.

Don't know if I will see it in theatres but I definitely plan on renting it when it is on DVD. Seems very very interesting plus with Anthony Hopkins added in the mix, this could be a damn good movie.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Saw this trailer before Paranormal Activity 2 on Saturday night.
    How was that, btw?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    How was that, btw?
    Quite good. I'm a pussy so I was shitting myself through the whole thing. Had the same basic framework as the first film with a couple added thrills. Definitely worth seeing in a theatre for the sound design alone. Hearing everything around you adds to the "shitting in your pants" factor.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Don't call yourself a pussy just because a movie designed to unnerve you succeeded at its job. Too many "horror" films are made so formulaic that they fail miserably, which is why I gave up on them. The "Nightmare on Elm St." series literally became a parody of itself. The "Saw" series? Don't get me started. Graphic gore only gets you so far.

The reason I enjoyed "Signs" so much is due to the exact same thing you cite with "Paranormal 2"....the sounds and the atmosphere acheived. Forgot about what you see onscreen - nothing is more terrifying than what your mind conjures up when you hear something just out of sight. "Signs" didn't show you shit until the final five minutes, and even then it was still only on camera in very quick instances.

Heard some not-so-good things about the first "Paranormal" so I didn't bother, but now I'm re-thinking my decision. If what I've heard is true in that it relies on the unseen and tries to tap into your fears of the dark, then it sounds like these guys have gone back to what truly works in a horror flick. It's not blood and guts, glowing eyes, or 'spooky' music that makes a flick scary...it's something more real. It's what scared you when you were a kid. Should still work today.
    Last edited by LLFHS; 10.25.10 at 12:08 PM.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Don't call yourself a pussy just because a movie designed to unnerve you succeeded at its job. Too many "horror" films are made so formulaic that they fail miserably, which is why I gave up on them. The "Nightmare on Elm St." sereies literally became a parody of itself. The "Saw" series? Don't get me started. Graphic gore only gets you so far.

The reason I enjoyed "Signs" so much is due to the exact same thing you cite....the sounds and the atmosphere acheived. Forgot about what you see onscreen - nothing is more terrifying than what your mind conjures up when you hear something just out of sight. "Signs" didn't show you shit until the final five minutes, and even then it was still only on camera is very quick instances.

Heard some not-so-good things about the first "Paranormal" so I didn't bother, but now I'm re-thinking my decision. If what I've heard is true in that it relies on the unseen and tries to tap into your fears of the dark, then it sounds like these guys have gone back to what truly works in a horror flick. It's not blood and guts, glowing eyes, or 'spooky' music that makes a flick scary...it's something more real. It's what scared you when you were a kid. Should still work today.
    That is most definitely true in the case of Paranormal Activity. It's not what you can see...it's what isn't there or what might be present. Both films are able to keep the viewer on the edge of their seat because you are ALWAYS wondering when something is going to happen.

The Signs example is perfect because in the case of PA and PA2 nothing REALLY happens for 70% of the movie. But all throughout you're asking yourself, "When is something going to happen? Is something going to happen now? Now? Maybe now? Maybe I should cover my eyes now. Should I. Oh shit. Something...something is going to fucking happen right now." So when something happens, even if it is just a little noise, you find yourself jumping because you've worked yourself up into a state of nervousness.

And due to the fact that there is no soundtrack, you are basically at the director's and editor's mercy because there is never really any dramatic build-up. It's exactly how it would be in real life. You'll be sitting at your kitchen counter and then....BANG! Something happens.

If those are the horror/thriller movies you like, then Paranormal Activity 1 and 2 are exactly the kind of movies you'd like, dude.

But really...I'm a huge pussy. The minute the movie started I was covering my eyes waiting for something to jump out at me. That's the shit that ALWAYS gets me and I can't stand it. When something shocks you. I really don't know how people watch movies like this without a hand over one eye. I would have a heart attack.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Anthony Hopkins + exorcism... that's already quite scary all by itself...
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Anthony Hopkins + exorcism... that's already quite scary all by itself...
    For someone who said he was retiring, the cat sure is keeping busy.

He's also been cast as Odin in the new Thor flick.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]