Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

11.11.11 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Negotiating Job Salary

Hi all, I need a little help. I interviewed for a job recently and I told the HR rep what salary range I was looking for. She told me that it was within the pay range for the position.

Then I interviewed with the actual staff and on Friday I got the job offer. However, the HR rep told me that they were offering 11K less per year than what I'm making now. Currently I have a very long, tiring commute so a cut in pay is fine, but they are asking below the range we originally discussed.

I want this job, but I cannot accept it for their initial offer, so I am going to try to negotiate a little more. Does anyone have any tips on how to go about doing this?

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 6,678 Times in 3,703 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MASHAGAR View Post
    Hi all, I need a little help. I interviewed for a job recently and I told the HR rep what salary range I was looking for. She told me that it was within the pay range for the position.

Then I interviewed with the actual staff and on Friday I got the job offer. However, the HR rep told me that they were offering 11K less per year than what I'm making now. Currently I have a very long, tiring commute so a cut in pay is fine, but they are asking below the range we originally discussed.

I want this job, but I cannot accept it for their initial offer, so I am going to try to negotiate a little more. Does anyone have any tips on how to go about doing this?
    getting more money after you get the job is a lot harder. So if you have another gig that pays more, ask for the money now.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:33 AM
    Liked 537 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Other than the "I'd take a cut" comment, say what you just said.

Just say it up front - that's well below what you're making now, and below what you were told was within the range for the position. Is that the best they can do?

If they ask what you're looking for, tell them what you're making now, and that you'd prefer not to take a pay cut. If they can't do what you're making now, then ask them for the best they can do, and you'll consider it. Get a number in mind that you'll say yes to, and if you have to, put it out there, but not until you HAVE to.

Just make sure you sprinkle in some enthusiasm about working there, and be polite about it. Don't be put off, or confrontative, etc. And make sure if you give them a #, it's a # you'll say yes to.

Personally, as an HR person, I HATE doing what they're doing, unless that is the best they will offer. I prefer to offer a number that I'm confident in - either because it's what (if not more) than what the candidate asked for, or it's the best I can do. Of course, if it's the best I can do and below what was asked for, I explain that up front. To me, what they're doing is shitty HR practice.

But I've seen plenty of otherwise good companies do it. In fact, I used to go toe to toe with a boss of mine about it, he was always wanting me to offer low and negotiate. I wouldn't, and was successful so he couldn't really beat me up about it...of course, he was a good enough boss to not insist on winning, LOL.
    Last edited by jrk5150; 10.17.10 at 07:53 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

11.11.11 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I just made my counter offer right now. I was positive about it and non confrontational.
    It just seems odd to me that she said it WAS within the range I was looking for, and then have me go through the interview process just to turn around and offer way way less. If they aren't willing to go higher, why waste my time and theirs? Like everyone keeps saying, the economy sucks right now and companies are in the position to give low offers like this. But why waste our time if you're gonna offer me way less than what I said I was looking for and not just cut me off the hook and look at the other candidates.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:33 AM
    Liked 537 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

What happened?