Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:14 AM
    Liked 61 Times in 30 Posts

Donor

Default Wolfgang wiring question

Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about guitar wiring.

Years ago I removed the tone circuit completely from my Wolfgang standard. I've been kicking around the idea of switching out the pots to 1 meg values and I want to add the tone control back in.
    I dug up my old wiring diagram that I got off the Peavey forum about 10 years ago. I also found a picture that I took of the factory wiring before I removed the tone control. Is it me or does the wiring not match the diagram?

Here's the pic of the factory wiring:

Here's what the Peavey schematic shows:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks right to me. Any reason why you wanna go to 1 Meg pots? That will change the tone of your pickups quite a bit.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Looks right to me. Any reason why you wanna go to 1 Meg pots? That will change the tone of your pickups quite a bit.
    it would make it quite dark sounding....No?
    I've gone down in values on occasion with H'buckers depending on their output. in my Frank, I actually use an old low friction 250k. pot on my scatterwound H'bucker. Just seems to liven the pickup a little for whatever reason, and the volume taper is a little more gradual too, so it cleans up real nice when I need it without sounding too thin.
    I just can't speak for a 1 meg swap. I'd be interested in hearing the results though.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I've gone down in values on occasion with H'buckers depending on their output. in my Frank, I actually use an old low friction 250k. pot on my scatterwound H'bucker. Just seems to liven the pickup a little for whatever reason, and the volume taper is a little more gradual too, so it cleans up real nice when I need it without sounding too thin.
    I just can't speak for a 1 meg swap. I'd be interested in hearing the results though.
    From what I've read & heard, it should actually increase the high end response. I'm trying it mostly just to see what the results are. I figure if it's too bright, I can always adjust it with the tone control...hence why I was looking for the old wiring diagram so that I could wire it back in.

I've owned three Wolfgangs: 1 standard (which I still have), a special, and a FT special. For some reason both of the specials had a little more "bite" than the standard. I don't know if this was just an optical illusion caused by the lack of a carved top on the specials, but it always looked to me like the pickups were spaced closer to the strings on the specials.

Anyway, the 1 meg pots should make the guitar a little gainy-er.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Donor

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this. What got me thinking about this in the first place was a recommendation from a guy from the local shop. He's got a Music Man Steve Morse Y2D and hasn't been too pleased with the sound compared to some of his other guitars. It's probably due to 1) those guitars having 250k pots, and 2) I believe the spacing between the pickups & strings is greater than on most guitars, per Steve Morse's request.

He switched the pots to 1 meg ones and was amazed at the results.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I haven't experimented a TON with this, but I know that the physics of it make the pickup have more output and sound more 'harsh'. If you think about it, having a 1M pot gives the pickup a 1M resistance to ground (when the volume is on full), and a much smaller resistance to the output. So you can think about it like this:

Having 1M pot means LESS signal 'leaks' or bleeds to ground when the volume is on full. So MORE is going to the amp. If you reduce the pot to say a 250K, that is 1/4 the resistance as a 1M pot to ground when on full, so it's like having a 1M pot 'turned down to 1/4', (approximately of course). Frequency response really depends on a ton of things, but as a general rule, the frequencies that make a pickup sound 'harsh' lessen when you reduce the pot's value.

Another example: single coil pickups are twangy and harsh sounding in nature. So most strats use 250K volume pots to 'warm' them up a bit.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I haven't experimented a TON with this, but I know that the physics of it make the pickup have more output and sound more 'harsh'. If you think about it, having a 1M pot gives the pickup a 1M resistance to ground (when the volume is on full), and a much smaller resistance to the output. So you can think about it like this:

Having 1M pot means LESS signal 'leaks' or bleeds to ground when the volume is on full. So MORE is going to the amp. If you reduce the pot to say a 250K, that is 1/4 the resistance as a 1M pot to ground when on full, so it's like having a 1M pot 'turned down to 1/4', (approximately of course). Frequency response really depends on a ton of things, but as a general rule, the frequencies that make a pickup sound 'harsh' lessen when you reduce the pot's value.

Another example: single coil pickups are twangy and harsh sounding in nature. So most strats use 250K volume pots to 'warm' them up a bit.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I always liked the 250k on that one scatterwound pickup I use. It never sounded "right" with a 500. It just seemed to lose it's dynamics. On the other hand, using a 500k on a conventional aftermarket pickup with a controlled linear wind sounds fine, and that's what's in all my other guitars with HB's. Like you said. Lot's of variables. Magnets have quite an influence. The magnet I used in that pickup was from a 70's Explorer. Not a real powerful magnet compared to a Dimarzio. Just worked well with experimentation, and settled on it. It' would be cool to hear the results.
    As far as tone controls, have any of you checked into those new electronic models? A buddy of mine installed one in his PRS, and it's an amazing unit.
    It reacts more like how an EQ would work to roll off the highs, as opposed to a conventional tone which I've always equated to just muffling your sound.
    can't recall the name at the moment, but it's a very cool unit, and it just hooks up like a regular tone.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.