Default Fresno Developer Sues Rocker Sammy Hagar Over Cabo Wabo

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kmph/...f/CABOWABO.pdf
    Fresno Developer Sues Rocker Sammy Hagar Over Cabo Wabo

http://www.kmph.com/Global/story.asp?S=13309652

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 11:57 AM CDT
    Featured Video

Read the entire lawsuit
    The developer behind the failed Granite Park project is suing rocker Sammy Hagar for over $100 million dollars.

In a federal lawsuit filed on October 4th, Milt Barbis, along with Zone Sports Center INC. LLC and Fresno Rock Taco, LLC., accuse the former Van Halen frontman and his company, "Red Head, INC" of breach of contract and 14 other statutes.

Barbis is suing Red Head, INC, along with SKYY Spirits, LLC, GRUPPO CAMPARI, Sammy Hagar and Marco Monroy each for $100 million, along with other fees.

Hagar pulled his "Cabo Wabo" restaurant out of Fresno, and broke ties with Barbis in December of 2008, just months after the restaurant and night club opened.

Barbis and other investors claim Hagar doomed the project before the club even opened. They say Hagar announced the project ahead of schedule, causing adverse media.

The suit also accuses Hagar of micro–managing the process, driving up costs and causing major delays.

According to Barbis, Hagar hurt Cabo Wabo's bottom line by demanding only certain alcohol be sold, and not the ones with more potential for profit. When Barbis questioned this, Hagar allegedly replied, "because I (expletive) said so, I'm a Hall of Fame rock star, I can do what I want."

Barbis also accuses Hagar of leaving a threatening message on his voicemail, in which Hagar said he was going to kill Barbis. Barbis says the message was later erased by Marco Monroy, another Defendant in the lawsuit.

You can read the lawsuit in it's entirety here:http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kmph/...f/CABOWABO.pdf

Stay with KMPH and KMPH.com as we continue to follow this story.
    Yes

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HailNgirl View Post
    http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kmph/...f/CABOWABO.pdf

http://www.kmph.com/Global/story.asp?S=13309652

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 11:57 AM CDT
    Featured Video

Read the entire lawsuit
    The developer behind the failed Granite Park project is suing rocker Sammy Hagar for over $100 million dollars.

In a federal lawsuit filed on October 4th, Milt Barbis, along with Zone Sports Center INC. LLC and Fresno Rock Taco, LLC., accuse the former Van Halen frontman and his company, "Red Head, INC" of breach of contract and 14 other statutes.

Barbis is suing Red Head, INC, along with SKYY Spirits, LLC, GRUPPO CAMPARI, Sammy Hagar and Marco Monroy each for $100 million, along with other fees.

Hagar pulled his "Cabo Wabo" restaurant out of Fresno, and broke ties with Barbis in December of 2008, just months after the restaurant and night club opened.

Barbis and other investors claim Hagar doomed the project before the club even opened. They say Hagar announced the project ahead of schedule, causing adverse media.

The suit also accuses Hagar of micro–managing the process, driving up costs and causing major delays.

According to Barbis, Hagar hurt Cabo Wabo's bottom line by demanding only certain alcohol be sold, and not the ones with more potential for profit. When Barbis questioned this, Hagar allegedly replied, "because I (expletive) said so, I'm a Hall of Fame rock star, I can do what I want."

Barbis also accuses Hagar of leaving a threatening message on his voicemail, in which Hagar said he was going to kill Barbis. Barbis says the message was later erased by Marco Monroy, another Defendant in the lawsuit.

You can read the lawsuit in it's entirety here:http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kmph/...f/CABOWABO.pdf

Stay with KMPH and KMPH.com as we continue to follow this story.
    Nice little "open and shut" case!
    A lot of this sounds so made up, it's ridiculous. Specifically "I'm a Hall Of Fame Rock Star, I can do what I want!"
    I could be wrong, but isn't this guy kinda legendary for frivolous lawsuits? I recall the name for some other development that went south.
    I mean, $100 million each? I'm thinking this will be laughed out of court, if it even get's that far.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

Chances for this lawsuit to go anywhere: zero.

Sam will probably hire some bigshot attorney who will bury this Nevada guy. Buh bye!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

The message was erased???

LOLL!!!!!

The dog ate the homework too, your honor.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

some of this sounds like it could be true....the pricey sound system and the getting involved to the point of micromanaging....yeah, I could see that, Sammy has a lot at stake here ...as well as the insistence on selling only Sammys tequila

the lighthouse construction? maybe .... the dropping of the $20 cover charge? I could see Sammy doing that

but what's the big damage of Sammy announcing the opening of the club? ever hear that there is no such thing as bad publicity?

and hiring a hit man to kill the guy so the guy feels intimidated into signing a settlement agreement....far fetched

sounds like the guy is having second thoughts about the agreement so he's using the pressure of having to spend $$$$$ defending a lawsuit to reopen the negotiations

ah, there's our legal system at work!

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:58 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

I think this is a counter suit because Hagar sued them for not fulfilling the contract or something along those lines. I don't remember what the original lawsuit was over.

As for the demands, I can see that and have no problem with that. His name is on the place and on the line.

This countersuit is total crap.

Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

Cabo Wabo Failure Fuels $589 Million Lawsuit Against Sammy Hagar And Others

Developer Milt Barbis and two companies associated with building Fresno's Cabo Wabo Cantina have filed a federal lawsuit that blames rocker Sammy Hagar and others for the demise of the short-lived restaurant and nightclub, reports John Ellis of The Fresno Bee.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Fresno, seeks close to $589 million from Hagar, his Red Head Inc., two other businesses and an individual. "For whatever reason, somebody made a decision somehow somewhere that they didn't want that club in Fresno," said Southern California attorney Richard Hamlish, who is representing Barbis, as well as Fresno Rock Taco LLC and Zone Sports Center LLC. "Whether that was Sammy Hagar, or whom, I don't know." He added that "any attempts subsequently to operate the club have been stifled." Barbis' lawsuit describes a disastrous and chaotic string of events from the moment the contract was signed to open one of Hagar's Cabo Wabo cantinas at Granite Park. It paints Hagar as an arrogant tyrant who threatened Barbis and micromanaged the design and construction of the cantina, which resulted in millions of dollars in cost overruns. When Barbis asked why he couldn't use the beer and tequila that was most profitable, Hagar allegedly replied: "Because I [expletive] said so. I'm a hall of fame rock star. I can do what I want."

According to the lawsuit, in December 2006 Fresno Rock Taco entered into a license agreement with Red Head to develop a Cabo Wabo in Fresno. The lawsuit claims the agreement had no clause relating to the brand of alcoholic beverage that had to be served.

The following March, the lawsuit said, Hagar announced the Fresno Cabo Wabo at a San Francisco news conference, which was done without Fresno Rock Taco's knowledge and was in violation of "an oral agreement" to make the announcement locally. Still, it was Cabo Wabo that sparked the development of Granite Park's business side. Nine additional tenants signed on, the suit says, based on Cabo Wabo being the anchor tenant. Soon, however, Hagar and an associate were dictating construction details down to where plants and trees outside the building should be located. Hagar then demanded construction be halted for a major building change -- a 40-foot-high lighthouse on Cabo Wabo's exterior wall. Those demands delayed construction by nine months, the suit says. Other changes and delays are listed in the suit as well. Eventually, it claims, Hagar left a message on Barbis' cell phone voice mail that said multiple times: "I am going to [expletive] kill you." Barbis played the message to "multiple people," the suit says, but after it was played for the Hagar associate named in the lawsuit, he "grabbed Barbis' cell phone and erased the message," the suit says. The cantina opened on Aug. 28th, 2008. Hagar was supposed to appear, but contract disputes delayed his appearance. He demanded new contracts, the suit said, and a two-night appearance for around $18,500 became one night for $28,000. Hagar played at the new club on Oct. 28th, 2008. By December, the club closed after Hagar terminated the license. In January 2009, Red Head Inc. filed a lawsuit against Barbis' Fresno Rock Taco, calling Fresno's Cabo Wabo "a disaster."

A few months later, the suit was settled. In a November 2009 bankruptcy filing, Barbis listed a 25% ownership stake in Fresno Rock Taco and Zone Sports Center. Hagar's representatives and Barbis could not be reached to comment.

source: fresnobee.com

None of what I put in bold print surprises me in the least. I have similar feelings regarding Sammy's situation in his finally years of being in Van Halen.
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Haha...yea, Sam said all that. Too funny.

Ask the people who worked for that turd Barbis what they think of him.Sam's mistake was hiring that clown to run the business. When he realized that, he did what he had to do to protect the brand.

Their are others in that failed Granite Park project that lost because of that shyster. Sam's pockets are deeper though.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 504 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5150 View Post
    Cabo Wabo Failure Fuels $589 Million Lawsuit Against Sammy Hagar And Others
    Over a half BILLION dollars for a failed night club???? I wonder how they arrived at that number. They might as well sue for a gazillion-trillion.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    Over a half BILLION dollars for a failed night club???? I wonder how they arrived at that number. They might as well sue for a gazillion-trillion.
    whoa......Hey now.....let's not get crazy here! These aren't ELVH lawyers, and these aren't counterfeit striped sneakers were talking about!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    whoa......Hey now.....let's not get crazy here! These aren't ELVH lawyers, and these aren't counterfeit striped sneakers were talking about!
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."