Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:24 PM
    Liked 32 Times in 4 Posts

Default Can people recommend Cabo San Lucas as a holiday destination

Right so I know a bunch of you have been to cabo to see Sammy and/or his club. My question is, is it a great place to go for a hoilday per se or did you only go because of the Cabo Wabo

I live in Australia and want to visit southern USA and bits of mexico for a holiday. i have previously been on one big trip over your way and went to LA, San Francisco, Vegas, San Diego and dipped the toe into Tijuana but that's it. Would love to mix a US/Mexico trip but don't know where is best for fun and value. travelling in February if that helps.

Thanks
    Her T-shirt ended early and her hot pants started late

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t decide - I love them all
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

11.10.14 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I absolutely love going to Cabo. I have always rented a house or a condo, but there are some beautiful resorts to stay at. There's quite a bit to do there other than going to see Sammy. If you want to relax, there are great places for that. If you want to party, there are great places for that. If you want to eat, the food is excellent. Lot's to do there. Fishing, golf, jet skis, Lover's Beach, ATV's, swimming, drinking, eating, shopping, or just relaxing.
    Face Down in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:09 AM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

Absolutely. Everything CaboBrian mentioned and more. I've been to Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan before. Then I went to Cabo and have not been anywhere else in Mexico since.
    Cabo gets around 330 days of sunshine and the people I've met down there over the years are just awesome.
    It's a long ways from Australia but well worth it when you get there.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I highly recommend visiting Cabo San Lucas. As stated above, there is so much to see and do. So much fun to be had. My wife and I went there 6 years ago for our 5th wedding anniversary. We did not regret a minute of it.
    Make sure you check out El Squid Roe as well as Cabo Wabo. Check out a place off the beaten path called Felix's for either lunch or dinner. They have a salsa bar with about 80 different types of salsas.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

The Cabo Wabo was the reason we visited Cabo the first time. That was 1993. We've since been back 8 or 9 times, and Sammy's bar is an after thought. Sure, we'll pop in for a dance and a drink, but we go to Cabo because of Cabo.

The place just has an amazing, relaxed vibe. You can party like a rock star, you can relax all day in a hammock, you can see cultural attractions, cruise around Land's End at sunset, and enjoy some of the best food in the world.

My wife and I pretty much have decided to go to Cabo every year until we're dead. I hope that's many, many more visits.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ToddE View Post
    The Cabo Wabo was the reason we visited Cabo the first time. That was 1993. We've since been back 8 or 9 times, and Sammy's bar is an after thought. Sure, we'll pop in for a dance and a drink, but we go to Cabo because of Cabo.

The place just has an amazing, relaxed vibe. You can party like a rock star, you can relax all day in a hammock, you can see cultural attractions, cruise around Land's End at sunset, and enjoy some of the best food in the world.

My wife and I pretty much have decided to go to Cabo every year until we're dead. I hope that's many, many more visits.
    Agree 110%
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:24 PM
    Liked 32 Times in 4 Posts

Well that is brilliant. Thanks everyone. A couple of more questions though. My wife loves shopping and needs to know there is good shopping there. Can someone explain what is on offer - is it all markets or are the mainstream shopping stores/brands there too? Also, we'll be flying into LA or somewhere like that - are the flights much to get down there from US? Is it an expensive place generally or has the eocnomy helped in that regard. Sorry for the added questions but good to know before we arrive - paritcularly the shopping question for the little wife.
    Her T-shirt ended early and her hot pants started late

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by digadam View Post
    Well that is brilliant. Thanks everyone. A couple of more questions though. My wife loves shopping and needs to know there is good shopping there. Can someone explain what is on offer - is it all markets or are the mainstream shopping stores/brands there too? Also, we'll be flying into LA or somewhere like that - are the flights much to get down there from US? Is it an expensive place generally or has the eocnomy helped in that regard. Sorry for the added questions but good to know before we arrive - paritcularly the shopping question for the little wife.
    The shopping is a mixed bag, if you'll pardon the pun. We discovered a glass-blowing factory there where you can pick up some very cool glasses and such. Cabo has plenty of air-conditioned mainstream shopping available, but also a ton of open-air markets around.

Personally, I like shopping on vacation about as much as having a root canal done by a vagrant with a rusty spoon, but you can find hundreds of souvenirs in the markets (Mexican blankets, hand-painted salsa bowls and knick-knacks).

As for the economy, you can go big or go on the cheap. For instance, there's a place right behind the Cabo Wabo called Taco Loco. You can grab four tacos and a beer for $7 American. Or, you can head across the street to Lorenzillo's and drop a couple hundred on a fabulous lobster and steak meal and top shelf drinks.

Oh, and if you're planning on buying tequila, let me know. I'll give you directions to a place that has the best. It puts Sammy's top stuff to shame and it's only $35 for a liter. They pour it straight out of the barrel. Amazing stuff.

Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Favorite VH Song

ALL
    Last Online

04.24.17 @ 11:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I for one can say that Cabo is very much a tourist attracter. I first went down there with my then girlfriend in 1996. I was there for 13 days. 3 of those days was because i got sick. Stayed at the Marina Fiesta. The last 3 days was at the Hotel Mar de Cortez. What i didn't know until about the last 4 or 5 days was how close i was to the Cabo Wabo. Sammy Had a sign out in the parking lot "Reserved for Sammy Hagar". I been to Cabo every year since then, because of the life style. Up until just a few months ago, I purchased a home down there. That's how much i love it down there. Not because of the clubs or night life. Because of the way of life. Around the time Hurricane Katrina was in the gulf, the most unusal thing happen.

Anytime i go down there, i wake up pretty early. Watch how people get up go to work, take there kids to school, or go to the market. Well, I had gotten me some coffee at Mrs Fields Cookie place, i sit near the bus stop, where the seaquariam is, and this bus pulls over and tells me in spanish to hurry up where going to be late for work

The guy next to me yelled back at him and said Im not the one there waiting on that i am tourist in spanish...

But that is just funny thing that happened. Since then, I have met a lot of really cool and nice people, ate just about everything they have to offer, watch some of the most coolest shows at the Mango Deck, did everything from the parasailing to horseback riding, snorkeling and ATV's. But each time it's been for 13 days, dont know why, but i can never get enough.

The shopping is pretty reasonable, pricy in some place, they have something that looks like a giant Costco to do some pretty large quanty shopping, Harley Davdison store, and the regular souviener shops with all the Cabo emblems. The hole in the wall resturants are to die for. Remember to order the Giant Potato with Carne Asada, cheese and tortillas from a outside patio resturants just around the corner from Squid Roe. If it's not there anymore, ask one of the locals and just say you want some authentic mexican foods, they'll probably send to either the surf and surf or another local resturant. there all good though. I know there is a Ruth Chris there, but i have never eaten there. I heard it's good.

Well should you plan to go, depending on what your budget is, most of the hotels are nice. Plaza las Glorias and the Finisteria are 5 star resorts, but since i am a simple guy, i stay at the Mar de Cortez in the heart of Downtown. I only pay 34.00 a night. It's a very simple room and the service is great. You should check out there web site @ Mardecortez.com. I mean it's not everyone's flavor, but they do get overwhelmed with customers.

Lastly, beware of the Time Share vipers at the airport. They got me the first time i was there looking for a shuttle to the room. What you should do, unless your intrested in a time share, is just look for a local cab shuttle bus. They usually take groups of people and just drop them off along the way. About 10 mins into your ride, they stop off at a local liquor store and let you get some munchies. I usually pick up a 12 pack of Del Sol and some snacks, depending on where you stay, the ride into town is about 45 min to an hour while dropping people off. Once you see the Arco (Lovers Beach) you'll know your almost to heaven.

I'm retiring there in a few years, and i know there is still so much more to do and see. I kinda developed a routine everytime i am there, and i am never dissapointed nor home sick. Have fun on your trip, and as Sammy would say in the song Cabo Wabo

"You go there once you'll be there twice"
    All songs written and performed by:

Edward Van Halen: Lead Guitars, Backround vocals
    Sammy Hagar: Lead Vocals, Acoustic/Guitars
    Michael Anthony: Bass/ Backround Vocals
    Alex Van Halen: Drums/Percussions/Back Vocals
    Sammy Hagars solos available on Geffen
    Special Thanks to: Valerie, Wolfie, Sue, Kari,Claudio for introducing the RedRocker to us Al's Harem and kids, Elisha, Taylor, Kama/ all the fans past and present: all recordings done at "5150" where else! A nod and wink to Ed Leffler.
    Irving Azoff/ All the staff at Warner Bros. past and present/ Gary Cherone for giving his all/ David Lee Roth for getting us there and oh yea Ray Daniels, for keeping the bathrooms clean during all the performances. Oh yea, your fucking check is in the mail and next time you whip your bullshit on us again, where taking your ass to Cabo and pounding mud up your ass till you cough up sand for the loss of 8 years. nuff said, IT"S 5150 TIME

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by C5A1B5O0 View Post

"You go there once you'll be there twice"
    What are the odds we've been there at the same time?

Have you made the trip to Todos Santos, yet?

Bottom line, digadam, book your trip and go. You'll have an amazing time.

Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Favorite VH Song

ALL
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ToddE View Post
    What are the odds we've been there at the same time?

Have you made the trip to Todos Santos, yet?

Bottom line, digadam, book your trip and go. You'll have an amazing time.
    I think its very much possiable.When i was there this year, the mango deck they were having the couples pop balloons on them. the other time they had a couple go in the water and exchange there swim wear. the dude looked crazy funny wearing his chicks bikini.

nah i haven't been to Todos Santos. Where is it? It sounds familiar.

Special Thanks to: Valerie, Wolfie, Sue, Kari,Claudio for introducing the RedRocker to us Al's Harem and kids, Elisha, Taylor, Kama/ all the fans past and present: all recordings done at "5150" where else! A nod and wink to Ed Leffler.
    Irving Azoff/ All the staff at Warner Bros. past and present/ Gary Cherone for giving his all/ David Lee Roth for getting us there and oh yea Ray Daniels, for keeping the bathrooms clean during all the performances. Oh yea, your fucking check is in the mail and next time you whip your bullshit on us again, where taking your ass to Cabo and pounding mud up your ass till you cough up sand for the loss of 8 years. nuff said, IT"S 5150 TIME

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by digadam View Post

Lots of shopping now a days. The mall is adding new stores each month. There is now a "Luxury Avenue" within the mall. Or as I call it " Keep your wife from here Avenue". The rest of the mall has some good shops and as everyone else mentioned there are lots of great shops and open markets all over cabo.

Here's a couple of sites for shopping. It'll give your wife an idea of what they have.

http://www.puertoparaiso.com/english/directory.html

http://www.loscabosguide.com/puertoparaiso/

http://www.allaboutcabo.com/activiti...cabo-san-lucas

As for the places to stay:

As someone mentioned you can spend anything you want for acccomodations

$50.00/night - Mar De Cortez and Siesta Suites [both in town less than block from CW]

for $100.00/night you can find some nice places on the marina

For $200.00 + - You can find a place on the beach.

I usually stay at Marina Sol . 2 blocks from the beach, right next to the mall and less than 10 minutes walk from CW.
    You can usually find a 2 bedroom condo there for $150.00-200.00/night.

Here's the places I've stayed at before. PM me if you want any more info on these:
    Siesta Suites
    Mar De Cortez
    Club Cascadas
    Me by Melia
    Terasol
    Playa Grande
    Marina Sol
    Tesoro

I would do a package from LA. It's usually cheaper to do the air/hotel package
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Favorite VH Song

ALL
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    Lots of shopping now a days. The mall is adding new stores each month. There is now a "Luxury Avenue" within the mall. Or as I call it " Keep your wife from here Avenue". The rest of the mall has some good shops and as everyone else mentioned there are lots of great shops and open markets all over cabo.

Here's a couple of sites for shopping. It'll give your wife an idea of what they have.

http://www.puertoparaiso.com/english/directory.html

http://www.loscabosguide.com/puertoparaiso/

http://www.allaboutcabo.com/activiti...cabo-san-lucas

As for the places to stay:

As someone mentioned you can spend anything you want for acccomodations

$50.00/night - Mar De Cortez and Siesta Suites [both in town less than block from CW]

for $100.00/night you can find some nice places on the marina

For $200.00 + - You can find a place on the beach.

I usually stay at Marina Sol . 2 blocks from the beach, right next to the mall and less than 10 minutes walk from CW.
    You can usually find a 2 bedroom condo there for $150.00-200.00/night.

Here's the places I've stayed at before. PM me if you want any more info on these:
    Siesta Suites
    Mar De Cortez
    Club Cascadas
    Me by Melia
    Terasol
    Playa Grande
    Marina Sol
    Tesoro

I would do a package from LA. It's usually cheaper to do the air/hotel package

How is the Siesta Suites, I keep telling myself i am going to stay there and never do. Do you remember the name of the juice shop thats on the same street as the mar de cortez next to the Mermaid club?

They got some killer juicers there, try the Superman and the New Yorker when you go back....

Im going to try and stay at the Plaza Las Glorias next time...
    If you decide to go to the Mar De Cortez I can try and hook you up with sweet deal i get depending on how much time you spend there... and what room you want. I usually get the one that sits in the corner downstairs near the back parking lot.

Oh yea The name of the place is called Surf and Turf not Surf and Surf, i can't spell for shit today. sorry!

That place has the best Sea Food dishes

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Uh yeah Cabo is a great place to vacation. My parents have a timeshare there, so we go every March for a week and a half now that my daughter is old enough to actually enjoy it. Absolutely recommended. I look forward to that trip every year...usually the only vacation we (my wife and I) get to take.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Favorite VH Song

ALL
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sir, when you and your family come down. i will personally make you breakfast....thank you for alot