Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Sexting-Bullying kills 13-year-old Hope Witsell

(CNN) -- At age 13, Hope Witsell struggled in middle school. Not because her class work at Shields Middle School in Ruskin, Florida, was challenging, but because Hope was being bullied.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/10/07...ory/index.html

Her friend, Kyla Stich, told CNN that fellow students would "walk up to her and call her 'slut,' 'whore,' and they would sometimes, they would call her 'skank' and just be really cruel to her."

Another friend, Lexi Leber, said, "We had to make like a wall, we had people surrounding her, and she had to be in the middle because people would come by and try to hit her and push her into a locker or something.

"She was afraid to walk alone, she was afraid someone would do something to her, like verbally attack her, so she would always have someone with her," Leber added.

This all started in the spring of 2009 during the last week of school.

Friends and family say Hope had "sexted" a picture of her breasts to her boyfriend. Another girl from school, they say, got her hands on the photo and sent it to students at six different schools in the area.

Before Hope could do anything to stop it, that photo had gone viral.

The school alerted Hope's parents. Her mother, Donna Witsell, told CNN how she learned about the photo.

"The assistant principal had a meeting with my husband and I and pretty much told us that he did not see the image but that he had heard that it was Hope and when he confronted Hope, Hope did not deny it. She wasn't proud of it but she didn't lie," Hope's mother said.

Mrs. Witsell says she had warned her daughter about the dark side of technology, about "some of the pretty sexual images of young girls and guys."

She added, "Hope was very aware of that, of inappropriate dress and most definitely posing."

Still, because of that photo, Hope had become a target for 11-, 12-, and 13-year-old bullies.

But she didn't share her pain with her parents.

Even when bullies wrote horrible things about Hope on a MySpace page called the "Shields Middle School Burn Book" and started a "Hope Hater Page," the young girl kept silent.

Summer provided a bit of a break, but when the new school year began, the taunting was even worse.

On Saturday, September 12, 2009, Hope Witsell helped her father mow the lawn. They cooked a special seafood dinner together as a family. Then Hope disappeared to her room upstairs. Her parents stayed downstairs and watched TV.

Donna Witsell will never forget the moment she went to say goodnight to her daughter.

"I went upstairs to go in her room and kiss her goodnight. That was when I found her. I screamed for my husband. And started doing CPR."

It was too late. Hope was already dead. She had used her favorite scarves to hang herself from her canopy bed.

After Hope died, her mother learned her daughter had been summoned to meet with a school social worker. A spokesperson for the school says the social worker was concerned Hope might have been trying to hurt herself, so she had Hope sign what's called a "no harm" contract in which Hope agreed to talk to an adult if she wanted to harm herself.

Hope's mother says she was never told about the contract, which she found crumpled up in the garbage in her daughter's bedroom after she died.

School officials told CNN they believed the social worker had tried calling Hope's mother to alert her but weren't sure if she had left a message.

"The school dropped the ball," Donna Witsell said.

"The school did not call. We have the digital telephone; we have the cell phones that indicate when there was an incoming call and what number was calling in. We have a house phone, I have a cell phone, my husband has a cell phone. We have emergency contact numbers at the school which was my sister-in-law and her husband. There was no indication that the school called any of those numbers," Hope's mother said.

Days after Hope died, her older sister, Samantha Beattie, discovered the bullying was still going on. Even in death, Hope could not escape it.

"I knew she had MySpace and Facebook. There were people putting comments on there: 'Did Hope really kill herself?' 'I can't believe that whore did that.' Just obscene things that I would never expect from a 12-year-old or a 13-year-old," said Samantha.

In the year or so that has passed since Hope Witsell took her own life, her mother has started a group called Hope's Warriors. She hopes it will help combat bullying and save other moms from feeling the horrendous pain that she feels.

Donna Witsell has a message for parents: "It happened to my daughter, it can happen to yours too. No one is untouchable. No one is untouchable."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

There was a story in the news a few weeks back about a father who learned of her daughter (with cerebral palsy) being bullied on the bus to school.

The father took it upon himself to board the bus to confront the kids himself. While he got in a bit of trouble for that, I have to say that THIS is the kind of take-charge stance I'd like to see more parents take once they find out that someone is giving their kid shit. It was not the most civil thing to do, but I applaud him for standing the fuck up.

This is really getting out of hand. Kids offing themselves because of some little assholes at school thinking they're being badass.....
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    There was a story in the news a few weeks back about a father who learned of her daughter (with cerebral palsy) being bullied on the bus to school.

The father took it upon himself to board the bus to confront the kids himself. While he got in a bit of trouble for that, I have to say that THIS is the kind of take-charge stance I'd like to see more parents take once they find out that someone is giving their kid shit. It was not the most civil thing to do, but I applaud him for standing the fuck up.

This is really getting out of hand. Kids offing themselves because of some little assholes at school thinking they're being badass.....
    A year or so ago, I posted fairly identical issue that my daughter was facing with bullies on her school bus. I did basically the same thing. Of course I went as far to tell them that if my daughter hurt herself, over their shit they were doling out, the land I'd dig their grave at would be so remote, they'd never be found.

I plan on reading this story to my daughter. The first time I ever hear of her doing something like this, no more phone...PERIOD. Hell, I'm already thinking of taking it from her as it is. Other, much more minor issues, but still issues.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:29 AM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

kids need to be taught not to send these kinds of photos - nothing good comes from it.

such a sad story. society is going to hell.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Got no one to blame but ourselves when this shit happens. We are the ones that can't say "no". We are the ones that get them cellphones with all the bells and whistles instead of just basic "here are the people you can only call" models, even though we know full well there are plenty of adults that do stupid things with their video and texting capabilities, yet we expect kids to know better? We are the ones that allow them access to social networking sites knowing full well that the internet is full of bullies and perverts that hide behind their computer screens. We're so damn intent on letting kids grow up before their time instead of letting them be innocent as long as possible.

The world is full of assholes - technology just brings us all closer together.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Got no one to blame but ourselves when this shit happens. We are the ones that can't say "no". We are the ones that get them cellphones with all the bells and whistles instead of just basic "here are the people you can only call" models, even though we know full well there are plenty of adults that do stupid things with their video and texting capabilities, yet we expect kids to know better? We are the ones that allow them access to social networking sites knowing full well that the internet is full of bullies and perverts that hide behind their computer screens. We're so damn intent on letting kids grow up before their time instead of letting them be innocent as long as possible.

The world is full of assholes - technology just brings us all closer together.
    amen

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Bravo, William..
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 6,820 Times in 3,567 Posts

Premium Member

We had a kid in my junior high class that shot himself, across the street from the school, in a wooded area. I remember everyone being shocked and troubled by the news... but by all accounts, he was a quiet boy that nobody really knew at all.

He got his photo and dedication on the last page of the yearbook. Everybody knew who he was, but nobody ever knew him.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:57 AM
    Liked 18,102 Times in 8,944 Posts

I know that I am an old fashioned pain in the ass, but my kids don't have cell phones, MySpace or Facebook pages, or any of that crap.

In my small mind, nothing good can come from them at that age when they are not mature enough to handle it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

my wife teaches elementary school and a good percentage of kids have phones at the school. In her grade 3 class last year, 2 kids had them. My wife once asked one of the parents (well just mom, pops is nowhere to be found) s why they gave their 8 year old a phone - the answer "because he wanted it". This is why kids are messed up. Parents (of my age) are really stupid.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:51 AM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,349 Posts

this story hit the news about Mentor High School....4 "bullying" deaths http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101008/...lying_one_town

common denominator seems to be sex/ sexual identity

the story of the one troubled family who apparently was too dysfunctional to help the daughter is horrible....every kid in that family died after the daughter committed suicide

I remember a kid who was bullying an effeminate student in one of my sophomore classes

I told the dickhead to stop, so he started taunting me ....spit balls and the whole thing...other students who I thought were friends sort of got on board and started laughing....I think that they were just intimidated and thought if they didn't they were next in line for the same treatment and since I was new in school that year, it was easy for them to abandon me

one day he tried to block the door and not let me into class....he smugly said "so what are you going to do about it?"

so I punched him in the face

growing up with older brothers was helpful in that case

after that, the kids who were intimidated by the bully, were not so intimidated, but I never let myself get too dependent upon their friendship again, and after graduation I never spoke to any of those high school "friends"

but I have to say that later in school, I had a situation that was another pile up and there was just too many of them to punch, but I found out how just a couple of people can take something and turn it into a major event just by starting a round of phone calls

it really is something when you see the teenage group think in action
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 10.08.10 at 07:00 AM. Reason: fixed link

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Such a sad story.... I agree that we as parents should be more strict, this generation of parents seems to caught up in being friends with our kids instead of parents. We need to teach them right from wrong and have them be afraid of the consequences of doing wrong, my parents loved me, I never doubted that, but I knew my father would kick my ass if I screwed up or my mother would be disappointed in me and that was enough to keep me in line, I loved them and wanted them to be proud of me, and they were. It's a fine line to walk but the discipline has to be there along with the unconditional love.

Every generation wants to point at something and say, this is the cause of the problems, not my parenting, whether it be Elvis' hips on TV, Richard Pryor, Dungeons & Dragons, video games, MTV... whatever, there's always going to be evils and temptations out there, kids need to learn how to deal with these things and protect themselves. Even if you don't let your kids have Facebook, their friends have it.

My mom likes to tell this story, a school mate of hers (back in the 40s were talking here) was a bit of problem child so the mother rode the subway with her to school every day to make sure she went and didn't get into trouble. When the girl ended up pregnant they were stunned and couldn't figure out how this happened, turns out she was having sex with her boyfriend in the bathroom of the subway car.

You can't watch them all the time, they need to learn right from wrong. These are just my opinions of course, I could be wrong.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

I was bullied all through my school years for various reasons. It sucked. But I just couldn't imagine it being bad enough that I'd want to end it. My way of ending it was to do whatever I could to set up a future far away from that town.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DMan7-cvh View Post
    Such a sad story.... I agree that we as parents should be more strict, this generation of parents seems to caught up in being friends with our kids instead of parents. We need to teach them right from wrong and have them be afraid of the consequences of doing wrong, my parents loved me, I never doubted that, but I knew my father would kick my ass if I screwed up or my mother would be disappointed in me and that was enough to keep me in line, I loved them and wanted them to be proud of me, and they were. It's a fine line to walk but the discipline has to be there along with the unconditional love.

Every generation wants to point at something and say, this is the cause of the problems, not my parenting, whether it be Elvis' hips on TV, Richard Pryor, Dungeons & Dragons, video games, MTV... whatever, there's always going to be evils and temptations out there, kids need to learn how to deal with these things and protect themselves. Even if you don't let your kids have Facebook, their friends have it.

My mom likes to tell this story, a school mate of hers (back in the 40s were talking here) was a bit of problem child so the mother rode the subway with her to school every day to make sure she went and didn't get into trouble. When the girl ended up pregnant they were stunned and couldn't figure out how this happened, turns out she was having sex with her boyfriend in the bathroom of the subway car.

You can't watch them all the time, they need to learn right from wrong. These are just my opinions of course, I could be wrong.
    And even teaching them right from wrong doesn't prevent kids from making mistakes and being rebellious. In your example, it proves that very point. We can preach and discipline and monitor till we're blue in the face and the simple fact is that where there is a will, there is a way.

As a parent, I totally agree that you have to put heart and soul into raising your children to the best of your ability but as time goes on, I also realize that children are individuals who you cannot always control. They will make mistakes. We did and it didn't matter how much our parents disciplined us. I was born in 63' when being whipped with a paddle or belt was common and parents had no problem administering the punishment to teach us right from wrong. I made mistakes and every kid I knew made some too. We can only hope and pray that when our kids do screw up (and they will) that it isn't a mistake that they will pay for the rest of their lives.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

every kid is gonna mess up a bit. But there is a difference between a good kid making some mistakes and being a menace of a kid. I think there alot of great parents out there but so many kids nowadays just don't have a chance. There was a recent study done up here (by the Vanier Institute) that gives you all the info you need on what's happening. Only two thirds of kids live with their married parents. Over 40% of marriages end in divorce. My wife teaches in the inner city and the vast majority of the students don't live with both parents. It's a shame what we're doing to kids.