Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default EVH pickup question

I think I am pretty EVH smart, but I was driving in this morning and wondered " is the pickup in the EVH art series the same pickup as the EVH Frankenstein"? They look similar, but I was thinking I might pick up the Frank and put it in my art series. Just something to do, and something to think about.

Anyone know? I assume it probably is not, which makes me scratch my head even more about EVH marketing. If it was not, what was it modeled after?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dtuner317 View Post
    I think I am pretty EVH smart, but I was driving in this morning and wondered " is the pickup in the EVH art series the same pickup as the EVH Frankenstein"? They look similar, but I was thinking I might pick up the Frank and put it in my art series. Just something to do, and something to think about.

Anyone know? I assume it probably is not, which makes me scratch my head even more about EVH marketing. If it was not, what was it modeled after?
    I've often wondering about the Art Seies pickup myself. Anyone? I had always assumed it was a Duncan designed EVH?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

I believe it is a Fender Custom Shop pickup.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    I've often wondering about the Art Seies pickup myself. Anyone? I had always assumed it was a Duncan designed EVH?
    I posted this to see what I could find out but after google, I found out that the pickup was custom wound at Fender in house. Interesting though because I have never heard discussion of what it was modeled after. The Frankenstein is made by Duncan. I just find this all very interesting.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dtuner317 View Post
    I posted this to see what I could find out but after google, I found out that the pickup was custom wound at Fender in house. Interesting though because I have never heard discussion of what it was modeled after. The Frankenstein is made by Duncan. I just find this all very interesting.
    You are correct. The Art Series pick up...

..was made in the Fender Custom Shop.

The EVH Frankenstein...

...is being manufactured by Seymour Duncan.
    Last edited by jimi11580; 09.30.10 at 11:46 AM.
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm sure theres differences to the Fender Custom shop EVH and the Frankenstein EVH...Jimi?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Last Online

So I'm sure theres differences to the Fender Custom shop EVH and the Frankenstein EVH...Jimi?
    To be sure, Josh, but I don't own an EVH Art Series pick-up (almost snagged one a few years ago, though) so, I can't elaborate on them!
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    To be sure, Josh, but I don't own an EVH Art Series pick-up (almost snagged one a few years ago, though) so, I can't elaborate on them!

LOL-
    Fair enough. anyone else know? I had tried a black/white EVH Art Series a few years back, and I liked how that particular guitar sounded, not to mention that I've also heard Nick Cantanese's EVH Art Series Bumblebee, which had the same pickup. gotta say, I liked how that pickup sounded....

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL-
    Fair enough. anyone else know? I had tried a black/white EVH Art Series a few years back, and I liked how that particular guitar sounded, not to mention that I've also heard Nick Cantanese's EVH Art Series Bumblebee, which had the same pickup. gotta say, I liked how that pickup sounded....
    If you dig back in the threads here I remember it being discussed. I think someone called duncan and asked them about it, and the IM1, the frankie pickup, and the art series pickups all were very similar, but had little things that separated them. Two were the same I think, but with different magnets or something like that. They were all interconnected somehow.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    If you dig back in the threads here I remember it being discussed. I think someone called duncan and asked them about it, and the IM1, the frankie pickup, and the art series pickups all were very similar, but had little things that separated them. Two were the same I think, but with different magnets or something like that. They were all interconnected somehow.
    Well, I know the EVH Frankenstein has a degaussed A2 and the "IM1" has a degaussed A5... I really don't know the specs on the EVH Art Series pick-up...
    WGAF?!!

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:24 PM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The IM1 and the Frankenstein pickup are supposed to sound the same even though they've got different magnets. Apparently they've compensated for the change in magnets elsewhere in the pickup.

I don't think the Art Series pickup has anything to do with either of those pickups. The Art Series was debuted in 2004, the Frankenstein in 2007, Art Series was Fender, Frankie SD, etc.

It's probably just a good sounding EVH vibe pickup that Eddie approved for the Art Series guitars. I've never played one plugged in though...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I was playing my red/white/black Art Series Charvel today and was pretty surprised at how different it sounds from the Peavey Wolfgang I have, which I have been playing exclusively for the past few weeks. I was wondering what pickup is in it and found this thread.

I don't have a Frankenstein guitar or Frankenstein pickup, but I do have most of EVH's signature model guitars and there's no one guitar that's perfect for all the EVH style sounds. Basically, if you want classic VH, play an Art Series or use a Frankenstein pickup. If you want to sound like EVH 1991-now, play a Music Man, Peavey Wolfgang, or EVH Wolfgang. Granted, the EBMM, PWG and EVH WG are all different, too! As awesome as these guitars are, the Art Series just has a classic VH sound and feel that's a bit different. It goes way beyond the paint job. It's also the wood and the fact that there's no maple top on it. Just a lightweight hot rod guitar that captures that sound perfectly.
    -VanEdge
    1992 EBMM EVH (Translucent Red)
    1993 EBMM EVH (Translucent Yellow)
    1999 Peavey Wolfgang (Translucent Purple)
    2005 EVH Art Series Charvel (Red/White/Black Stripe)
    2009 EVH Wolfgang (Tobacco Sunburst)

THE INTERNET HAS BEEN GIVEN FAIR WARNING... VHLINKS/FORUMS WILL NOT DIE!!! - VanEdge

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge

"See, all I do is make music..." - EVH

"Look at all the people here tonight!" - DLR

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

I'm going off of memory here, but my impressions of the Art Series pickup was that it was like the EBMM pickup, but with more balls. It wasn't as thick sounding as a Peavey Wolf pickup, but had about as much drive. It's very similar sounding to the Frankenstein pickup, but a little less full sounding when driven.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanEdge View Post
    I was playing my red/white/black Art Series Charvel today and was pretty surprised at how different it sounds from the Peavey Wolfgang I have, which I have been playing exclusively for the past few weeks. I was wondering what pickup is in it and found this thread.

I don't have a Frankenstein guitar or Frankenstein pickup, but I do have most of EVH's signature model guitars and there's no one guitar that's perfect for all the EVH style sounds. Basically, if you want classic VH, play an Art Series or use a Frankenstein pickup. If you want to sound like EVH 1991-now, play a Music Man, Peavey Wolfgang, or EVH Wolfgang. Granted, the EBMM, PWG and EVH WG are all different, too! As awesome as these guitars are, the Art Series just has a classic VH sound and feel that's a bit different. It goes way beyond the paint job. It's also the wood and the fact that there's no maple top on it. Just a lightweight hot rod guitar that captures that sound perfectly.
    Copy that!
    I remember back when Carnal Knowledge came out, and Ed saying most of the album (with the exception of Judgment Day) was done with an all basswood unfinished non maple capped prototype EBMM, even as capped versions were coming into his hands. So he was obviously pretty happy with it in that form without the cap, and it sounded great on the album.

The Art series sound damn good. Thinking back, I wonder how much Ed truly wanted the maple top. He did say he noticed the brightness right away, not saying anything against it, but noticing it immediately. I'm sure after all was said and done, he couldn't argue with how good it looked, which is why he probably carried it through the Peavey and EVH lines, but aesthetically, I do remember reading or hearing, that Sterling was pushing him in that direction, along with a tone knob...He lost that one though! The durability is a bonus of course, as basswood is so soft.
    Last edited by we die young; 03.05.13 at 02:58 PM.