Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Tonewoods...

So I was thinking, what does everyone like, in terms of different woods and why? I've always been interested in the wide spectrum of woods, but never thought much about whats better, whats worse, whats different, etc. Anyone?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    So I was thinking, what does everyone like, in terms of different woods and why? I've always been interested in the wide spectrum of woods, but never thought much about whats better, whats worse, whats different, etc. Anyone?
    to be honest its never bothered me what wood my guitars are made from as long as they sound and feel good, I've had some pretty decent sounding guitars over the years that were made of plywood!! And my Gibson MIII is laminate poplar and that thing sounds incredible. I'm not saying wood isn't important because we all know it is, VERY, but to me it's not a deciding factor when looking at guitars, I'm happy to try anything and judge it purely on its own merits, I'm more concerned with weight and sound, if its light , comfortable and sounds good, then i'll get my credit card out!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    to be honest its never bothered me what wood my guitars are made from as long as they sound and feel good, I've had some pretty decent sounding guitars over the years that were made of plywood!! And my Gibson MIII is laminate poplar and that thing sounds incredible. I'm not saying wood isn't important because we all know it is, VERY, but to me it's not a deciding factor when looking at guitars, I'm happy to try anything and judge it purely on its own merits, I'm more concerned with weight and sound, if its light , comfortable and sounds good, then i'll get my credit card out!
    I've basically just taken a 'hope for the best' approach to woods. It's all really a matter of taste in what woods you like the sound of, so it would be hard to pin down a winner. Also, the hardware and pickups you use WITH the wood you pick can drastcally change how the wood and guitar ends up sounding.

and finally, to explain my first sentence -- you can have a clear favorite wood that you like, buy a guitar made out of it,and still hate it. Wood can vary from piece to piece probably as much as from type to type,so you just have to carefully select wood and hope for the best

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 2,860 Times in 1,071 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    and finally, to explain my first sentence -- you can have a clear favorite wood that you like, buy a guitar made out of it,and still hate it. Wood can vary from piece to piece probably as much as from type to type,so you just have to carefully select wood and hope for the best
    Completely agree with this. I had two Peavey Wolfs, one black standard and an ivory special. Both were all basswood, with the standard having a little more mass to it due to the carve top. The standard sounded super defined and tight while the special was much bassier and flubby. Same wood, completely different sound.

That said, my guitar wood tally is
    1 Basswood
    1 Alder
    1 Poplar
    2 Ash.

And I dig them all equally. The Poplar bodied guitar also has a rosewood fretboard, and that's definitely the fattest guitar I own right now, but generally I dig more defined than fat...

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

with todays electronics... basswood, cuz its light
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My favorite tone wood is White Limba (White Korina). It has the wine like tone of mahogany, but with a much crisper response. harmonics just pop out effortlessly and the sustain is incredible. I've built several guitars from it. You've probably heard it's tough to work with, and it is in that it has to have a very controlled environment prior to finishing. It is prone to cracking with extreme climatic shifts, so locking in the moisture content at around 7% with sealer is key.
    My two other favorites are Northern Ash, and Swamp Ash, especially with bolt on guitars. Great midrange.
    Like Tommy said though, as long as a guitar sounds good, and does what you want, it doesn't always have to be premium wood. Just if given a choice, the the ones I mentioned, give a project a great foundation with predictable results.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I find that your neck has just as big an influence on tone as anything else. I really do notice a big difference between maple and rosewood boards, maybe more so than say the difference between alder and poplar. Mahogony has never seemed to jive with me for some reason.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've found I really like a "darker" sounding guitar. That being said, I've really come to love basswood. Before I knew (or cared) what kind of wood any of my guitars were made from, I found I really preferred the basswood ones. It was only after I bought my first Wolfgang in 1998 that I started to make note--as in, "what is it about this guitar that makes me love it so much?" I have a USA Strat and a couple of custom guitars I've made out of alder. You know what... I really don't like alder. It lacks a certain low-mid "hum" and sustain. However, I've got a custom made Strat with a semi-hollow alder body and 1/4" maple top that I absolutely love. So in that configuration the alder works for me. There's a lot of factors that play into it, but I've found I generally prefer basswood, mahogany, poplar, and sometimes ash. Throw a maple top on any of those, and I'm bound to like it just as much if not more.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm considering a new build that will include a 1/8" quilted maple top (just like the EBMM guitars) and old growth figured redwood. Redwood is a tone wood and is used on some high end acoustic guitar tops. Many like the maple top/basswood body combo and considering basswood has a Janka hardness rating of 410 and old growth redwood has a rating of 480 (420 for second growth), it would seem to have similar tonal qualities. Any thoughts?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.06.10 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, did'nt want to hijack this thread. I also wanting to do a new build and would like some suggestions on what is a good route to go kit or individual? I very familiar with Warmoth and did a search on EVH guitar kits as well as San Dimas kits. I got several links one being Dragonforce and Ed Roman kits. Has anyone used these?

I want to the Bumble Bee version, I did my pc like that and it turned out pretty good.

Thanks for and suggestions.
    Jackson Soloist Custom * Epiphone LPC * Marshall MG250DFX * MXR Chorus * MXR EVH Flanger * MXR EVH Phaser * Wampler Pinnacle Ltd * Rockman Chorus * Rockman Echo * Rockman EQ's * Rockman Sustainers

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fastrhoads View Post
    Hello, did'nt want to hijack this thread. I also wanting to do a new build and would like some suggestions on what is a good route to go kit or individual? I very familiar with Warmoth and did a search on EVH guitar kits as well as San Dimas kits. I got several links one being Dragonforce and Ed Roman kits. Has anyone used these?

I want to the Bumble Bee version, I did my pc like that and it turned out pretty good.

Thanks for and suggestions.
    I say go Warmoth for the Bumblebee...
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!