Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Default Two Brothers From A Different Mother...

A side-by side comparison of the front of a 2002 Peavey Wolfgang Special and a 2010 EVH Wolfgang Special...

Note that other than the binding and tone knob, there is no essential difference (if, in fact,any at all) in body shapes.

A close-up of both headstocks...

Note that the Peavey Floyd nut is top mounted versus the EVH Floyd nut, which is secured from the bottom with neck-through screws and the difference in all chrome tuners for the Peavey instead of the pearloid ones for the EVH.

A contrast of the Peavey Gotoh Floyd bridge...

..and the EVH Floyd.

Note also the difference in the pick-up cavity shapes, the manner in which the pick-ups are affixed to the body and, of course, the difference in the choice of volume knobs.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 1,603 Times in 740 Posts

Premium Member

If you had to pick only one, which one would that be???
    Last edited by Dutchie5150; 09.19.10 at 11:33 AM.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How much "movement" is there in the top? With the Peavey Wolfgang Specials, I thought the flametops looked good, BUT there was hardly any movement to their tops. I always thought that was sorta odd.
    Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but shouldn't a flametop special go up against a quit top EVH Wolfie? Still, I was more than happy with the tone I got out of my old Ivory Wolfgang Special (I never thought my Purple flamed Special sounded as good as the Ivory Special)...so maybe it is fair? LOL

So whats the verdict Jimi? Who won the Pepsi challenge?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    How much "movement" is there in the top?
    Enough to make you want to reach for the Dramamine!

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but shouldn't a flametop special go up against a quit top EVH Wolfie?
    Nah, this is strictly one "Special" vs. another "Special"- "A Tale of Two Specials" if you will...

So whats the verdict Jimi? Who won the Pepsi challenge?
    I suppose that would be a good way to characterize it, but, honestly, I really hadn't intended to do a "head to head challenge", I was just curious to see them side-by side for the sake of comparison, so, I took a few pictures and posted them... that's all.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

07.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the pics. I posted some comparison pics a while back between the US Fender EVH and Peavey Standard. There were very similar also.

Don't the new Specials have a contour on the back where the neck is bolted on where the Peavey Specials don't?
    \m/ VH \m/

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dance The Night Away View Post
    Don't the new Specials have a contour on the back where the neck is bolted on where the Peavey Specials don't?
    Yes, the EVH Specials have the heel contour. The Peavey Standards also had one.
    WGAF?!!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for the side-by-side and comparison shots.

I wonder... Will we see a hard tail version of the new EVH Wolf?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Thanks for the side-by-side and comparison shots.

I wonder... Will we see a hard tail version of the new EVH Wolf?
    Wouldn't that end up being the model that gets the Drop to Hell tailpiece, when it comes out?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Wouldn't that end up being the model that gets the Drop to Hell tailpiece, when it comes out?
    I'd be interested to know if the D2H is ever gonna come out. This could be just BS, but I heard from a guy at L&M (Who's very in the know with new product) who attended NAMM, that there were some issues with the design of the main body in terms of carved tops which unfortunately is what it was designed for, that being the Wolfie, or a Paul, PRS....Whatever... Simply put, he said that the base is supposed to bolt down relatively flush with the top with four mounting screws, but there are too many variables after sanding and final finishing which prevent it from sitting right without shims or a gasket of some sort. He pointed out on one of the collector GW covers where Eddie is posing with the guitar, that even on his, there's a mound of tape under one of the corners shimming it up so the mechanism doesn't bind. Not sure...I'll have to take a look at the cover. My guess is if this thing does go ahead in it's current form, then a flat top would be the way to go. If it is persued as a model for carved tops, then they'll probably have to go with a more traditional raised standoff design kind of like a regular stop tailpiece.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 09.20.10 at 03:01 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I'd be interested to know if the D2H is ever gonna come out. This could be just BS, but I heard from a guy at L&M (Who's very in the know with new product) who attended NAMM, that there were some issues with the design of the main body in terms of carved tops which unfortunately is what it was designed for, that being the Wolfie, or a Paul, PRS....Whatever... Simply put, he said that the base is supposed to bolt down relatively flush with the top with four mounting screws, but there are too many variables after sanding and final finishing which prevent it from sitting right without shims or a gasket of some sort. He pointed out on one of the collector GW covers where Eddie is posing with the guitar, that even on his, there's a mound of tape under one of the corners shimming it up so the mechanism doesn't bind. Not sure...I'll have to take a look at the cover. My guess is if this thing does go ahead in it's current form, then a flat top would be the way to go. If it is persued as a model for carved tops, then they'll probably have to go with a more traditional raised standoff design kind of like a regular stop tailpiece.
    i still have a problem with the need for a D2H, whats wrong with a regular tuner, its not like a fixed bridge guitar, so all you need is a flick of the wrist and not some fancy, expensive piece of engineering welded to the bridge that can over complicate something thats been fine for decades. Ed's had some great ideas over the years but with the D2H all i can think he's doing is creating a niche that never existed and then trying to fill it!
    Last edited by tommywho5150; 09.21.10 at 09:09 AM.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys,
    Honestly, I really don't think the DTH would be all that. Do we really need it?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    i still have a problem with the need for a D2H, whats wrong with a regular tuner, its not like a fixed bridge guitar needs a locking nut, so all you need is a flick of the wrist and not some fancy, expensive piece of engineering welded to the bridge that can over complicate something thats been fine for decades. Ed's had some great ideas over the years but with the D2H all i can think he's doing is creating a niche that never existed and then trying to fill it!
    for some reason i missed typing a whole phrase, i have added it now so my statement makes a little more sense!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    i still have a problem with the need for a D2H, whats wrong with a regular tuner, its not like a fixed bridge guitar, so all you need is a flick of the wrist and not some fancy, expensive piece of engineering welded to the bridge that can over complicate something thats been fine for decades. Ed's had some great ideas over the years but with the D2H all i can think he's doing is creating a niche that never existed and then trying to fill it!
    Nail on the head, bud.

...and for the record, I really don't see much diff between the Peavey version vs. the Fender version, other than minor cosmetics. Now, that being said, I still have not laid hand on the Fender version, so I might be wrong but I STILL don't believe the new one is worth the DOUBLE price of admission...just my $.02...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Guys,
    Honestly, I really don't think the DTH would be all that. Do we really need it?
    I feel the same way on this really. I mean, first of all, in the time it takes to drop the tuning of the low E on a fixed bridge guitar is negligeable at best.
    Where I could see it useful I suppose is the way Ed described using it on multiple if not all the strings to drop or raise the tuning. Basically a one step capo. Dunno.....I'm with you guys. it seems like basic over engineering for something that really doesn't need fixing.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I feel the same way on this really. I mean, first of all, in the time it takes to drop the tuning of the low E on a fixed bridge guitar is negligeable at best.
    Where I could see it useful I suppose is the way Ed described using it on multiple if not all the strings to drop or raise the tuning. Basically a one step capo. Dunno.....I'm with you guys. it seems like basic over engineering for something that really doesn't need fixing.
    I don't know guys... personally, I've never played or had a guitar without a locking nut that stayed in tune as well as my floyd guitars. Even when I never use the trem, or on a tuneomatic, somehow while I'm playing the guitar, it always loses the tuning a little bit. I've tried a lot of the normal methods stabilizing guitars, etc., and I still find myself stopping every so often and retuning slightly.

So I prefer a floyd even if the whammy bar is off the guitar. I also REALLY like the accuracy of the fine tuners on the bridge. I actually was planning on building a tele (haven't gotten around to it yet) with a floyd and locking nut, but mounted completely differently: the bridge would have the brass block removed, there would be no trem route, and I would use the holes where the brass block screws in to the baseplate to screw the floyd right to the body. That way I would still have a locking nut, locking bridge, fine tuners, and the feel of the floyd that I'm used to, and still have a fixed bridge.

So I don't get why Ed needed to design an entirely new bridge to do this when the method I just described would work exactly the same way using existing parts, but I do see the need for a locking nut and fine tuners on a fixed bridge guitar.