WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Electric guitar for kids?

My son, Alex, is seven. He got an acoustic guitar for Christmas this past year. He just started his first group guitar lessons last week. He's had two lessons, and has learned two chords, C and G.

Today, we had five minutes to spend in Guitar Center. That kid practically jumped for joy walking in there. He got to plug a guitar into an amp, and I have to say he was downright GIDDY. LOL This is not a word I use. Sooo... now we're thinking about possibly trading in his acoustic to get an electric. Or have both. Who knows?

My husband heard that electric is actually easier on the fingers than acoustic. Is this true?

What guitar would you suggest for a 7-year-old? I saw some sort of Fender Mini, but is that for kids??? I have no clue. I am a fan, not a player! Alex is a future rock star.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks guys!
    Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sheri-
    I would say theres pros and cons to each. The pros to an electric? I think its easier to learn on, you don't have to plug it in to practice, and he can keep the noise down? The cons? Your son will eventually want to plug in, and its more $ buying an amp.
    The pro to buying an acoustic? You really won't be needing an amp, it will get his hands in better shape in the long run, and he can actually hear when he makes mistakes more clearly, so that he can fix errors. The cons to buying an acoustic? While you can amplify an acoustic, if you want to start rocking, Van Halen songs don't always play well on an acoustic (of course, someone will probably disagree with me, so let it be known I'm saying some), and he eventually will want an electric to rock on. I used to think starting with an acoustic wasn't cool (mind you, we hadn't had very many acoustic albums in the 80's until MTV unplugged came along, and Tesla released their unplugged album)...just saying. Good luck deciding.
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I always encourage my younger students to start on electric. It's just much easier. And especially if your son is excited about the electric, let him do it. The Squier Mini Strats are excellent and not a lot of money. You can buy a small amp to go along with it. He should be able to use that guitar for at least a couple of years. It will make good trade material for a full-size electric at that point.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

How big are his hands?

Electric is MUCH easier to learn on because the strings feel looser - easier on the fingers and it's more fun and inspiring.

If he can play a regular sized electric then id get him one.
    When i first started learning i wanted an electric guitar - most kids would over an acoustic.
    But then again depends on the kind of music he likes.

Is this the fender mini you saw?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ELAID=26040673

They are geared towards kids but they may have tuning problems.
    Looks like they have a hard tail bridge so thats good.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

My son has a Squire Mini, and i have to say i was surprised by many things about it..
    the price
    the sound
    the playability
    the tuning
    all of which are exellent (but bear in mind that with the guitar being a 3/4 size you have to tune it to G, tuning it lower can cause tuning problems). I often just pick it up and have a noodle on it....plus you can play 'Little Guitars' on it along to the CD! I highly recomend it
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    My son has a Squire Mini, and i have to say i was surprised by many things about it..
    the price
    the sound
    the playability
    the tuning
    all of which are exellent (but bear in mind that with the guitar being a 3/4 size you have to tune it to G, tuning it lower can cause tuning problems). I often just pick it up and have a noodle on it....plus you can play 'Little Guitars' on it along to the CD! I highly recomend it
    +1 to this. Both my boys got these for Christmas last year. The down side is the tuning stability & I hadn't thought about tuning higher. thanks for that Tommy.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    +1 to this. Both my boys got these for Christmas last year. The down side is the tuning stability & I hadn't thought about tuning higher. thanks for that Tommy.
    yup, due to the 3/4 size and much shorter scale you should always tune higher (G is recomended but you can get away with Gb). If you're having problems then i would suggest checking the nut for anything catching the strings and maybe running a pencil through the slots (the graphite lubricates it, thus cutting friction) also check the tuners make sure they're not slack/slipping, tuning higher also add's 'load' to the tuners which helps with the tuning. my sons hardly ever drifts out of tune, i was surprised by how rock solid it is.

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Yes, it was the Squire Mini we saw. I'm glad to hear that you all like it!

One of my husband's co-workers said he has a spare amp we could borrow, so I may have an electric guitar in my house soon!

Thanks, guys!
    Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vh_chick View Post
    Yes, it was the Squire Mini we saw. I'm glad to hear that you all like it!

One of my husband's co-workers said he has a spare amp we could borrow, so I may have an electric guitar in my house soon!

Thanks, guys!
    Shari
    Shari, remember to drop back in here anytime and ask any questions, no matter how trivial, we'll gladly help you out.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.25.11 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is a Squier mini I slightly modified for my son:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/imag...785b9eb97c.jpg

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slick4772 View Post
    Here is a Squier mini I slightly modified for my son:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/imag...785b9eb97c.jpg
    Dude, that is KILLER! I would have been so stoked to play something like that as a kid...(or now hahahaha).

Last Online

08.29.14 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm getting this for my son and giving it to him when he turns 4 in Dec.

I'm going to stripe it bumble bee style like the VH 2 guitar...

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/1966969172.html
    If cleanliness were next to Godliness, then that would make you the devil...(CLUTCH)...

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

My husband got a coupon for Guitar Center for $20 off a $99 purchase, so guess what I got??? LOL The Fender Squier for my son. They were out of the black ones, so they have ordered one for me and it will be shipped to the store. I also got a gig bag and a leather strap with embossed skulls on it. Nice!

Thanks for your advice and sharing your experience with clueless me!

Mr. Alex is going to be VERY excited this Christmas!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vh_chick View Post
    My husband got a coupon for Guitar Center for $20 off a $99 purchase, so guess what I got??? LOL The Fender Squier for my son. They were out of the black ones, so they have ordered one for me and it will be shipped to the store. I also got a gig bag and a leather strap with embossed skulls on it. Nice!

Thanks for your advice and sharing your experience with clueless me!

Mr. Alex is going to be VERY excited this Christmas!
    thats good to hear...remember it will need to be tuned:

G(thickest string)
    C
    F
    A#
    D
    G(thinnest string)

to avoid tuning problems caused by the shorter scale length and if anyone want to jam aong they'll need to put a capo on the 3rd fret of a regular tuned guitar, everything else is exactly the same as a full sized strat.

Tom

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Can you recommend a good starter amp? Something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Alex is very interested in buying the guitar himself, and we think that's a good thing. It'll make him more invested in this. However, since we already bought it, we figure he could buy his own amp. We'll borrow one from a friend to get him started.

Thoughts? Thanks for taking care of me, guys.

Shari