Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Hey, I for one, think Dave's voice sounds pretty good on "DLR Band." It is different, however. Actually, he is singing more proper now than ever, but sometimes he takes the high range a bit too far, don't ya think? He has actually developed a whole new way of singing. Rock vocalists sometimes do this to strengthen their upper range. On "DLR Band", Roth uses his falsetto on a few songs and sometimes it blends well and sometimes it doesn't. On songs like "Relentless" and "Indeedido", his voice can be a bit annoying. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the vocal results on the album. "Little Texas" sounds simply awesome. I have listened to many boots of his '99 concerts and at the starting, Roth's voice sounded pretty bad. If any of you have the Finland boot, it's sad to see how horrible he sang on "Atomic Punk" and "Hot For Teacher." Throughout the tour, his voice got a lot better, though. Actually, by some of the later boots he sounded a lot like his old self again. I'm very happy to say that I think his voice is definately ready for VH now. Anyone else have opinions on his voice at this state?

Joe...forgot to add in my signature...oh well

[This message has been edited by NOaverageJOE (edited July 25, 2000 at 09:19 PM).]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave was admittedly a bit rusty on the Finland video. His voice did get better as the tour went on, and I thought he sounded excellent by the time I caught him in December. Ask any singer and they'll tell you that if you don't use you singing voice for long periods of time, it will go downhill. It's a muscle that has to be built back up, and that is exactly what happened with Dave.

------------------
    EUAS Co-Founder

The OnFire Gang
    The ultimate originals

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!"....David Lee Roth

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i agree brownsound u have to practice to be good

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

01.07.12 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave's done falcetto before. Listen to Secrets. Dave's voice sounded GREAT on that song he did for that little girl. Furthermore, when I heard DLR Band, Dave's voice blew me away. It's a complete 180 degee turn from the way it sounded on YFLM. Dave is back and ready to go.

------------------
    Right Now..... you need to Eat Us And Smile!!!

"A good friend of mine used to say, 'This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.' Think about that for a while." Nuke LaLoosh

It's too damn hot for penguins just to be walkin' around.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sweet. I can't wait!!

------------------
    Nick "I've been to the edge, MMMMThere I stood and looked down."

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.16.17 @ 10:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave sound's great, especially on King of the Hill and Goin' Places.

If people are afraid of Dave's voice negatively affecting the live Van Halen show, they they'll be pleasantly surprised when he kicks their ass!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crashnjump:
    Dave sound's great, especially on King of the Hill and Goin' Places.

If people are afraid of Dave's voice negatively affecting the live Van Halen show, they they'll be pleasantly surprised when he kicks their ass!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, now what did you aliens do with the REAL crashnjump??? That didn't sound like him at all

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.27.09 @ 02:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dave's voice is sounding better on the album. The bit that annoyed me wasn't the high stuff though, but the really low stuff. Like the "legends are forever" bit and, is it the verses on Relentless(?), the talky bits y'know. Its just that I'd rather hear a bit of a tune, like on the Full Bug, that's like half singin/half talkin, it's got the character, but melody too. Am I making sense here? Annoying is probably too strong a word actually. The thing that got me about the album was that the guitar sound was the same on every song. Not enough diversity. How long did it take to record? 'Cos it was a little meat & potatoes to me y'know... YFLM was maybe a little far the other way, but hopefully the new album will be the perfect mix.
    As for vocals improving with time, I used to wear my voice out in one night dancing in a rock club and bellowing alont with all the tunes. Couldn't talk for a day afterwards. But I had a couple of singing lessons, and now I can bellow along in the RIGHT way, and my voice is actually BETTER the next day. Maybe he didn't do enough prep at the start of the tour, but once he got on a roll, the voice should jsut keep improving, as long as you do it right...

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

I really don't think anyone should be worried about Dave's voice. Whereas you can tell he is straining to some extent on the BOV1 and the DLRband albums, his voice really wasn't in shape. I heard him in November and he could still hit those highs. I would imagine that he has been working with VH since the first of the year and has kept his voice in good shape.
    Don't fret if you haven't heard Dave's voice except on those 2 albums, he is back. His voice and body are in good shape. I was amazed when I seen him. He was still flying around stage and hitting the highs well.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:01 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

Dave's voice is a mess on the BOV1, but give the guy a break. He hadn't sung in 6 months and was thrown to the wolves so to speak. Plus Eddie was in that "Sammy mode," so he wanted everyone to scream like Sammy, and that's just isn't Dave's thing, nor is it Gary's. So I'm sure Eddie was forcing Dave to push his voice to those higher octaves which he couldn't hit in his prime. He sounded better on the DLR Band album, even getting a few signature falsetto screams in, like on King Of The Hill. I've heard a few bootlegs from his last tour and his voice seemed pretty strong, and now he actually sings the words, doesn't half ass it like it during his final years in VH. I don't think Dave's voice is an issue anymore.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

[This message has been edited by Brett (edited July 26, 2000 at 09:59 AM).]