Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.07.10 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Your Filthy Little Mouth--a defense of a fine and under-appreciated album

Your Filthy Little Mouth (1994)

There has been much debate as to the merits of this album in the other (Sam vs. Dave) thread. I think it rather impertinent to continue that discussion in that thread, as it would merely derail the general discussion. Rather, at this time, in this thread, I would like to be afforded the opportunity to defend the album, Your Filthy Little Mouth, which I feel is a greatly underappreciated and misunderstood album. Before I state my defense of this album, I will offer a brief bibliography on myself and the albums creator, Mr. David Lee Roth. I do this not to equate the two (I am hardly in the same league as the Diamond one) but rather, I do this to offer some context.

1994—David Lee Roth

At this point in his career, David Lee was past his prime and he knew it. 1994 was a time when grunge and alt. rock ruled, a time that was not at all hospitable to “80s rockers” like David Lee Roth. While bands like Aerosmith and, ironically Van Halen, were able to weather the grunge storm, an 80s icon like DLR was left by the wayside…

And what was Diamond Dave to do? Jump on the grunge/alt.rock bandwagon, ala, Motley Crue? Or should he continue in the traditional hard-rock arena which he helped define, like Vince Neil?

In 1994, at the height of Nirvana and Pearl Jam, neither option seemed like a viable option. So, given the anti-arena rock atmosphere, DLR tried to buck the trend by releasing a smart, sophisticated album, Your Filthy Little Mouth. An album described by AMG head writer Stephen Thomas Erlewine as a “mature hard rocker for all aging yuppies.” While Erlewine untimely disliked the album for its lack of “hooks” his description of the album’s target audience is on target.

1996—I discover YFLM

At this time I have been a huge VH fan for a number of years. At this time I am in high school and can only afford to by one CD per week via my paper route money. At this time YFLM is legendary in the community as a shitty album. Malcolm Dome wrote in his book Access All Areas that the album has “little or no substance.” The Inside magazine and its readers have routinely trashed YFLM. Yet, despite the negative hype, I pick up a copy of Your Filthy Little Mouth in the spring of 1996 from the music section of Circuit City in Nashua NH.

My initial thoughts are—this album doesn’t suck. No, not at all. At a mere 15 years of age, I could recognize what a true artist was, and indeed, his name was Diamond David Lee Roth. At the tender age of 15, while all my peers loved band like Nine Inch Nails, the Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, etc, I fell in love with Your Filthy Little Mouth—a gravely underappreciated album—an album filled with diversity and eclecticism, a fine piece of music that needs a second listen, from a rather harsh VH fan base.

In the years since I discovered YFLM, I learned to play most of the albums songs, I have jogged at night to its moody ballads, I have gotten drunk, hoping to forget about lost loves, to its subtle ballads, and have mediated on its thoughtful lyrics…

To all VH fans, please, with an open mind, give YFLM a second listen. It really is a fine piece of music. What follows is my review from the other thread, although a bit expanded.

1. "She's My Machine" (Byrom/Neuhauser/David Lee Roth) – 7/10 Not bad, but kinda "eh." A good start to the album.
    2. "Everybody's Got the Monkey" (Hunting/Roth/Simes) – 9/10 Love this one. Great hook and DLR sounds awesome.
    3. "Big Train" (Kilgore/Roth/Sturges) – 7/10 Kind of average. Been there, done that, but not bad.
    4. "Experience" (Kilgore/Roth) – 9/10 Love this song. DLR at his most honest, bluesy best. In this song, one gets to really pear into the heart of DLR.
    5. "A Little Luck" (Anderson/Hunter/Roth) – 8/10. I think the horns work well here, actually. Really good hook and grove, but I can understand why people would hate this.
    6. "Cheatin' Heart Cafe" (Kilgore/Roth) – 8/10 Never been a huge country fan, but I like this one. Could have been a cross-over hit.
    7. "Hey, You Never Know" (Kilgore/Roth) – 8/10 Another country-inspired song. Always liked this one. Has a great hook and groove.
    8. "No Big 'Ting" (Kilgore/Roth) – 8/10 DLR singing reggae? Yes, and this song is a lot of fun. Some great lyrics.
    9. "You're Breathin' It" (Hilton/Kilgore/Roth) – 10/10 One of DLR's best. Great song. One of my favorite songs of 1994 in fact. This is YFLM's "Aftershock" but with an urban twist. One of DLR’s best songs, ever.
    10. "Your Filthy Little Mouth" (Kilgore/Roth) – 8/10 A good, solid rocker.
    11. "Land's Edge" (Kilgore/Roth) – 8/10. A good bluesy, mid-temp rocker.
    12. "Night Life" (Breeland/Buskirk/Nelson) – 10/10 One of DLR's best cover songs. Beautifully done.
    13. "Sunburn" (Kilgore/Roth) – 10/10. A very seductive, dark, and inspirational song.
    14. "You're Breathin' It [Urban NYC Mix]" (Kilgore/Roth) – 8/10 I prefer the original, but this one is pretty good. A cool way to end the album.
    Last edited by RicoTubbs; 09.14.10 at 05:02 PM.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

It's cool you like the album so much but wasn't this beat to death pretty good in the other thread??
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i'm still waiting on my copy to arrive. I've never heard anything on this album...though I seem to recall hearing at least the chorus to "She's My Machine" at one point...I'll find out when i pop it in.

I'm actually looking forward to getting it. I'm either going to think it's the biggest hunk of shit ever or I'm going to be the guy who is constantly championing VHIII AND Your Filthy Little Mouth.

I'm sure you're all waiting with baited breath for my review.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:38 PM
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts

Donor

I have always LOVED this album for my 6 faves:

"Experience"
    "A Little Luck"

"Hey, You Never Know"
    "No Big 'Ting"
    "Night Life"
    "Sunburn"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 AM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

Tubbs there hasn't been that much debate...you like it, and the rest of us are like....uh...no. LOL

Well except for Jeff.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:48 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 473 Posts

I agree with that guy's whole thread. Not so much a hard-rocking album, but a great quality album with his best/funniest lyrics ever. Not that I like it more than EEAS, SKY or DLRB, but it's not that far behind. Might even be tied with ALAE.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.07.10 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Tubbs there hasn't been that much debate...

THE DEBATE IS OVER...YFLM rocks and will be put in a lock-box for future generations.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RicoTubbs View Post

THE DEBATE IS OVER...YFLM rocks and will be put in a lock-box for future generations.
    LOL. You sure you wanna punish future generations with that?
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

so guess what came in the mail...

I've got it playing at a pretty low volume through my computer as I work.

Obviously this isn't the best way to listen to an album but I'm getting just an initial listen through before I go home and listen to it through my sound system.

Initial reaction? man...it ain't pretty.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default The Review

Guys this record is the most generic sounding, uninspired, cliche, pedestrian bunch of crap I've ever sat through on purpose.

If this is considered stretching yourself as an artist or considered an ambitious collection of ecclectic songs then shit...maybe for a generic, no talent hack this could be considered really stretching themselves.

It's bad. There's nothing good. A lot of the songs sound like throwaway soundtrack bits from bad low budget 80s high school/college comedy movies...the kind that make the Weekend at Bernie's series on par with the Godfather I and II.

Musically the songs are uninteresting, bland, generic, and uninspired. They sound like demos on drum machines and cheap sequencers. The only musicians who would record that and think "fuck yeah!" are musicians with no taste or shame or interest in doing a good job.

Lyrically...well...enough said.

This is a bad bad bad record.

I would have loved to have added this to VHIII as records that I think are misunderstood and brilliant but damn...I guess even I have standards.

I'll say one thing...it feels wierd being part of the majority opinion around here for once.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I'll say one thing...it feels wierd being part of the majority opinion around here for once.

I thought for sure you were going to tell us all we were exaggerating about how bad it was. I told you, you could have gotten away with sampling 30 second bits on iTunes and come to the same conclusion.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I thought for sure you were going to tell us all we were exaggerating about how bad it was. I told you, you could have gotten away with sampling 30 second bits on iTunes and come to the same conclusion.
    actually I went into thinking "these guys have got to be exaggerating at least a bit. It can't be THAT bad.......can it?"

Well it is. It was so bad I found it difficult to listen to entire songs. I found myself fighting the compulsion to hit fast forward and move to the next track.

The Wife asked if I could return it for refund...and like I said, I only paid a buck for it...plus 2.98 for shipping. It's pretty damn bad.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:23 AM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Guys this record is the most generic sounding, uninspired, cliche, pedestrian bunch of crap I've ever sat through on purpose.

If this is considered stretching yourself as an artist or considered an ambitious collection of ecclectic songs then shit...maybe for a generic, no talent hack this could be considered really stretching themselves.

It's bad. There's nothing good. A lot of the songs sound like throwaway soundtrack bits from bad low budget 80s high school/college comedy movies...the kind that make the Weekend at Bernie's series on par with the Godfather I and II.

Musically the songs are uninteresting, bland, generic, and uninspired. They sound like demos on drum machines and cheap sequencers. The only musicians who would record that and think "fuck yeah!" are musicians with no taste or shame or interest in doing a good job.

Lyrically...well...enough said.

This is a bad bad bad record.

I would have loved to have added this to VHIII as records that I think are misunderstood and brilliant but damn...I guess even I have standards.

You just got it. Give it time. Let it settle. !YELP

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:23 AM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

Default SUNBURN?

But how can you not like "Sunburn"?

That is on par with Cocoanut Grove or Damn Good in all it's California ambiance.

I feel this is a must have DLR song lyrically and even musically.

Don't you guys get Sunburn?