Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:05 PM
    Liked 1,878 Times in 1,097 Posts

Default Who Produced the 3 "new" tracks on BOBW?

just curious. I don't have it in front of me but wikipedia doesn't say who actually produced the new tracks.

please don't turn this into a "those 3 tracks suck" thread.

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

I got a feeling it was Eddie and Glenn Ballard who did it.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    I got a feeling it was Eddie and Glenn Ballard who did it.
    glenn ballard is given credit for being a "mastering supervisor" and vh is credited for being the compilation producer. No one is specifically credited for producing the new tracks. Interestingly Steve Lukather is credited for backing vocals on the new tracks. I'd bet my life that Mike is singing on IAT. the engineer is Bill Malina...I have no idea who he is. Wasn't there rumors around the word got out they were in the studio that Ballard would produce 1 track and Andy Johns would produce 1...anyone remember that?

curious stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 18,054 Times in 8,923 Posts

I am pretty sure that Mike himself said he had no contribution whatsoever to the three new tracks. That is Ed on bass and Lukather on backing vocals, maybe with Ed or Al thrown in.

And I agree with Bad to Bone, I won't talk about how much those songs suck, I swear...oops!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I am pretty sure that Mike himself said he had no contribution whatsoever to the three new tracks. That is Ed on bass and Lukather on backing vocals, maybe with Ed or Al thrown in.

And I agree with Bad to Bone, I won't talk about how much those songs suck, I swear...oops!
    I was 17 in 2004 and pumped to hear those songs. At the time, I enjoyed them.

We usually all do dumb things during our teen years.

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 473 Posts

That has to be Mike's vocals--didn't he say that was the only thing he DID do in that 06 Burn Magazine interview?
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.21.16 @ 05:48 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts

With the state of the band and the hate Mike was getting from Ed at the time I pretty sure that Mike wasn't doing backing vocals. He was asked to sign off on his rights to Van Halen and Ed didn't even want him on the tour.
    1984 Detroit, MI
    1986 Detroit, MI
    1988 Pontiac, MI
    1991 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Auburn Hill, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Rosemont, IL
    1998 Grand Rapids, MI
    2004 Detroit, MI
    2007 Detroit, MI
    2008 Grand Rapids, MI
    2015 Clarkston, MI
    "It's called two burritos and a root beer float" Eddie Van Halen-2009 Two and Half Men

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

again lets not rip the songs-we've done that enough.

I am just trying to figure out who produced them....sonically they really sound bad to me. FUCK, Balance, twister, and the BOV1 tracks all sound fantastic sonically-sam's solo stuff sounds pretty damn good from a production point of view. Just got me thinking who got or did not get credit for the production? I can't see glenn ballard letting that type of product go out with his name on it.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    again lets not rip the songs-we've done that enough.

I am just trying to figure out who produced them....sonically they really sound bad to me. FUCK, Balance, twister, and the BOV1 tracks all sound fantastic sonically-sam's solo stuff sounds pretty damn good from a production point of view. Just got me thinking who got or did not get credit for the production? I can't see glenn ballard letting that type of product go out with his name on it.
    Didn't somebody say that they recorded the songs using Pro Tools or something and that's why they don't feel as warm as other VH recordings?

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by rockyvanheineken View Post
    Didn't somebody say that they recorded the songs using Pro Tools or something and that's why they don't feel as warm as other VH recordings?
    sam has used pro tools in the past when he worked with jesse harms...I think he used them as far back as ten 13 and that disk is very well produced and has a nice warm feel to it when it's needed. I don't know how that stuff works to be honest with you.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

I may be a bit off on the date but I believe Eddie went on record around 2004 saying that 5150 went digital. He was commenting about how confusing it was, how he had to look at a manual and how he is more of a "move knobs" kind of guy. Therefore he may have Pro-Tools or something similar.

I recall him having issues with recording and how engineer he hired couldn't get a decent microphone sound. He was fired and another guy found the problem with bad cables or something.

I do remember during the 2004 recordings California was getting hit with these rainstorms and his guitars would go out of tune due to the humidity Had to use wood clamps or something to keep the necks straight.

However I don't remember any mention of a producer but most likely it was a combo of Eddie and Glen Ballard.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I may be a bit off on the date but I believe Eddie went on record around 2004 saying that 5150 went digital. He was commenting about how confusing it was, how he had to look at a manual and how he is more of a "move knobs" kind of guy. Therefore he may have Pro-Tools or something similar.

I recall him having issues with recording and how engineer he hired couldn't get a decent microphone sound. He was fired and another guy found the problem with bad cables or something.

I do remember during the 2004 recordings California was getting hit with these rainstorms and his guitars would go out of tune due to the humidity Had to use wood clamps or something to keep the necks straight.

However I don't remember any mention of a producer but most likely it was a combo of Eddie and Glen Ballard.

I believe Ed used the clamps on a guitar that got warped from the weather, the part he recorded ended up being used as the intro to LTS if I remember right.

btw-listen to the intro to LTS and then listen to the intro to Psycho Vertigo that sammy and mike did with niel shonn......they sound very similar wihich is odd to me.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Mike said he did provide vocals. So he's on at least one track if not more....I'm assuming IAT. But he did not play bass. He came in after the fact and provided vocals for it. Lukather also provided vocals.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH I / Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars / MWM
    Last Online

11.29.10 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Learning to See and Vertigo do have some comparable intro's. Both good songs that could have been great songs with a little extra work.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Remember "Psycho Vertigo" at one time was just "Vertigo," back when Sammy was doing Planet US in 2001/2. They are very similar intros, but what I find incredibly surprising is how Ed would use a riff that seems to originate back to Neil Schon.

To me, the riffs are almost identical, and I found myself listening to LTS recently (consider the fact that the last time I even listened to it was when it came out) thinking "If I didn't know any better, I'd swear I've heard this riff more recently." Well, I listen to "Psycho Vertigo" (the best song on Sam's awful Cosmic Universal Fashion disc) on a pretty regular basis, and soon enough I'd make the connection.

Those tracks sound just a notch above VH3 in production value, and considering VH3 sounds like it was recorded under water, that ain't saying much. IAT is bad, but I will listen to it merely out of nostalgic value (I was 12 years old when it came out, and that was a great memory for me). Up For Breakfast is one of the worst Van Halen songs and Sammy Hagar related songs ever, and LTS is a song that had the potential to be great but fell short on a ton of levels.

Something's missing on LTS. It doesn't have ambient backing vocals to carry the song (that's where Mike's influence is missed), the guitar work seems sloppy. It almost seems like an unfinished demo to me.

In short, the three new songs suffer in a lot of ways. Drums don't have much punch, the backing vocals don't sound like "Van Halen," lyrics are God-awful (something Ed clearly stressed as time went on), production is mucked up, the riffs aren't anything you'd remember after years of not listening (I completely forgot what LTS sounded like before the other day). They were just outright bad songs.

Of course, I liked them when they came out. It was the first new Van Halen I could ever get excited about. Its a shame I'll never be that excited about them ever again, that unbridled childhood enthusiasm went away a long time ago. Not with age; I'll be that giddy when Rush announces the release date of Clockwork Angels. It's all about the band (Ed) and what they've done since 2004.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.