Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Default The Stephen King Thread

Was about to start a thread on just the plans to bring The Dark Tower to the big and small screens, but it occurred to me that a lot of people might be fans of King's entire collection of stories that have ranged from horror to sci-fi to fantasy and human drama.

This man's work made me want to be a writer when I was younger. Not so much because of his material but because of the style of his storytelling. The appreciation of the range of subjects wuold come later. From possessed cars, rabid dogs, vampires.....to coming-of-age stories and prison epics.

Anyway, here's what prompted this whole thing. The Dark Tower series, King's own equivalent of Lord Of The Rings, is coming to the cinema AND the TV screen courtesy of Ron Howard. A saga so expansive that even a fan as big as me has not yet finished it.

Let's talk King here.

With news that Stephen King’s enormously popular book series The Dark Tower will be coming to a big and small screen near you, we here at EW.com could not stop ourselves from reaching out to the bestselling author (and EW columnist) via email to get a few more answers about the highly-anticipated project. Here’s what he had to say:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The Dark Tower is such a dense series — did you always think it needed more than a single movie or TV show treatment?
    STEPHEN KING: I always thought it would take more than a single movie, but I didn’t see this solution coming — i.e., several movies and TV series. It was Ron [Howard] and Akiva [Goldsman]‘s idea. Once it was raised, I thought at once it was the solution.

What about Ron Howard and NBC makes them a good fit for the franchise?
    When working as a director, Ron is very similar to the way I work as a writer. We both tell honest stories that have (I flatter myself) style and substance but not a lot of show-offy frills.

In a perfect world, who would play Roland? Eddie? Susannah? Jake?
    The Twilight cast, of course! Just kidding. I haven’t got as far as casting in my thoughts, but when I write about Susannah Dean, I always kind of see Angela Bassett in my mind’s eye. Mostly I just want good people in those parts. Ron Howard will find them, I’m sure.

And who would you want to play?
    I’d love to be the voice of Blaine the Mono.

There’s a lot of blood in the series — how much is the TV series going to be censored? It likely would have been easier to join forces with a network without restrictions, à la HBO, no?
    I don’t see that as a problem at all! We’ll have just enough latitude to make a great series. I’ve worked in network TV before, and every time I was squeezed a little, it just made me look for creative solutions. Besides, I always like to play in the biggest auditorium available!
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

My "read that" list thus far.......

1977 - Rage
    1980 - Firestarter
    1981 - Cujo
    1982 - Creepshow (comic book, illustrated by Bernie Wrightson)
    1982 - The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger
    1982 - Different Seasons (novellas)
    1983 - Christine
    1983 - Pet Sematary
    1983 - Cycle of the Werewolf
    1984 - Thinner
    1987 - The Eyes of the Dragon
    1987 - Misery
    1987 - The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three
    1988 - The Tommyknockers
    1989 - The Dark Half
    1991 - The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

My list is Christine and It. I don't read much fiction, but his stuff is good. I'm not familiar with the Dark Tower series, though I know it's very popular.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

I read alot of King's early work.....Salems Lot.....The Stand....Carrie....and The Shining....then I kind of fell off the bandwagon.....but last year or so I started the Dark Tower series and have done six of the seven.....I have the final book but haven't started it yet....great series though.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

In a perfect world, who would play Roland? Eddie? Susannah? Jake?
    The Twilight cast, of course!
    haha nice one, Steve .

I haven't read the series and I don't exactly plan to. It's been almost a decade since I read my last King's book, but I'll watch these Dark Tower films/series when they come on DVD or something.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Love me some Stephen King...good stuff. [i]The Dark Tower]/i] series is probably my favorite fiction story cycle. Love it! I have been contemplating reading it again and I think I will.

Favorite King works:
    -The Dome
    -The Dark Tower series
    -Different Seasons -- four novellas, two of which were made in to two of my favourite movies of all time ("Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" and "The Body", which became "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Stand By Me").
    -Skeleton Crew
    -Night Shift -- "Jerusalem's Lot" was one of the only stories that scared me.
    -It -- same with this book.
    -The Stand -- classic!
    -Duma Key
    -Desperation
    -The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    -Salem's Lot

King is an excellent short story writer. That's a special gift: they're difficult to write.

On The Dark Tower series:
    -What a series!
    -I love the back story about Roland in Wizard And Glass. Once that started, I read it clean through to the end. Got in trouble for that one because I has stuff to do that day.
    -I heard there was going to be another book in the DT series. It's either going to be between The Waste Lands and Wizard And Glass (3rd and 4th) or between Wizard And Glass and Wolves Of The Calla (4th and 5th). I can't wait!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 18,100 Times in 8,942 Posts

I couldn't even make it through the first book in the Dark Tower series. I thought it was horrible.

I loved The Stand and The Shining, and I remember liking Needful Things except for the ending.

But without doing a library inventory, I think that is the only stuff of his I have read.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:15 AM
    Liked 2,211 Times in 1,115 Posts

Premium Member

I've never read any Stephen King, but I just recently (within the last two weeks) started reading The Stand.

As a huge Lost fan, the writers paid tribute to and derived a lot of influence from King, so I figured if I liked Lost, I might like his work as well.

So far, I'm really impressed and I'm only 250 pages in of the "expanded edition." The thing that I think is so incredible about his writing is the inner dialogue he has with his characters. They are so diverse and so in depth--much more than any writer I've ever read.

I look forward to starting to read his other work after this one.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    King is an excellent short story writer. That's a special gift: they're difficult to write.
    One need only read "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" or "Graveyard Shift" to get that fact straight.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    Speaking of short stories, I remember "Secret Garden" scaring the living heck out of me. The Dark Half was similar, but its supernatural zombie/whatever crap made it much less striking.

That, and The Long Walk is a masterpiece of the short stories.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've read:

Pet Sematary
    The Talisman
    Misery
    Tommyknockers
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Tommyknockers was so disturbing that I almost didn't read another King novel. It makes me wonder what kind of a mind it is that can think up these stories like the part in Tommyknockers when the dog is in the tank (if you've read it, you know what I'm referring too). It really, really bothered me being a pet lover.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    Tommyknockers was so disturbing that I almost didn't read another King novel. It makes me wonder what kind of a mind it is that can think up these stories like the part in Tommyknockers when the dog is in the tank (if you've read it, you know what I'm referring too). It really, really bothered me being a pet lover.
    Cujo would probably bother you for the same reason.

That book damn near scared me out of reading another King novel. Picked that one up at about 12 years old and just the first dozen or so pages creeped my shit out.

Just reading about the little boy and the monster in his closet was enough.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 18,100 Times in 8,942 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I couldn't even make it through the first book in the Dark Tower series. I thought it was horrible.

I loved The Stand and The Shining, and I remember liking Needful Things except for the ending.

But without doing a library inventory, I think that is the only stuff of his I have read.
    If I remember correctly, the expanded version of The Stand has a very disturbing sex scene in it that was cut out of the original version.

I wish it had been left out. That bothered me, and it wasn't the gay part, it was what they did with the gun that bothered me!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Cujo would probably bother you for the same reason.

That book damn near scared me out of reading another King novel. Picked that one up at about 12 years old and just the first dozen or so pages creeped my shit out.

Just reading about the little boy and the monster in his closet was enough.

The last portion of Pet Sematary scared me senseless. Why in the world would I be alone in my apartment with all the lights off except in my bedroom reading it I'll never know. That was just plain scary. Now that I have kids and looking back on it, I can understand the desperation a parent would feel over losing a child and why it would make you crazy enough to try anything to bring them back.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

I haven't read anything by him in about 15 years but used to read everything, as a matter of fact here's a list of books I've read by him (which I think is almost everything up until 1995):

Carrie, The Shining, Rage, Night Shift, The Stand, The Long Walk, The Dead Zone, Firestarter, Cujo, The Running Man, Dark Tower I, Different Seasons, Pet Sematary, The Talisman, Thinner, Skeleton Crew, It, The Eyes of the Dragon, Misery,The Tommyknockers, The Dark Half, Four Past Midnight, Needful Things, Gerald’s Game, Dolores Claiborne, Insomnia, Rose Madder

Obviously I won't give my opinion on all of them, but there are some general thoughts I have about Mr. King as an author. As some have mentioned previously he is a great builder of characters - the reader really empathizes with the characters and each character has a unique voice. He also really knows how to draw the reader in and spin a tale.

My largest criticism of him is that for 90% of the novel he creates these great characters and tells a great story, but many of his novels seem to cop out and/or run out of steam at the end. I won't get specific as to not engage in any spoilers, but it is almost like he enjoys the process of the stories and the characters, writes himself into a corner and then whips up some lame cop-out weird supernatural weirdness at the end to tie it up.

Now, I realize that his genre is the supernatural/fantasy/horror, so my objection isn't based solely on this fact, it is simply a shift in quality that the final chapters in his books often - not always, but often - leave me a bit deflated.

That being said, the guy is highly entertaining and I'd be interested in people's take on his work over the last 15 years.
    Anonymous for fear of fatwa