VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default Sustainer options

I'm building a guitar for a friend comprising of a basswood Charvel body (routed h/s/s) and a Kramer Focus neck. I have suggested fitting a sustainer in the usual neck position (Blame A.T. and his facebook updates for this!) and so far I've looked at the Fernandes FSK-401 kit. I don't have much experience with sustainers and i was wondering if there were any other manufacturers out there and what other options there were?

other parts that are going on the guitar are..
    GFS Floyd
    D-Tuna
    Schaller tuners
    Custom paint as yet we're unsure of which way to go but maybe a swirl.

thanks in advance guys.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    I'm building a guitar for a friend comprising of a basswood Charvel body (routed h/s/s) and a Kramer Focus neck. I have suggested fitting a sustainer in the usual neck position (Blame A.T. and his facebook updates for this!) and so far I've looked at the Fernandes FSK-401 kit. I don't have much experience with sustainers and i was wondering if there were any other manufacturers out there and what other options there were?

other parts that are going on the guitar are..
    GFS Floyd
    D-Tuna
    Schaller tuners
    Custom paint as yet we're unsure of which way to go but maybe a swirl.

thanks in advance guys.
    Sustainiac makes a kit that I would say is equal to the fernandes. Not sure on availability or price though. Either one is good. I've got a fernandes in one guitar, and also a handful of custom ones that I built when I was really involved over at the Project Guitar massive DIY sustainer thread. (the one that ended up having 400+ pages and millions of views... don't try to read through it, it's a mess!)

One of my friends over there, the guy that initially started that thread, came up with a design superior to the commercial units out there, and you could fit it INSIDE a normal single coil pickup, and still use the pickup when it was off. (You can do that with the fernandes and I think the sustainiac too, but you are stuck with the tone of their neck pickup). His circuit was also much more interesting with what it could do -- he had on off switched and trim pots so you could blend the harmonic mode in, and change the intesity, etc. Unfortunately, he's been really busy with things and has not yet come out with the design commercially, so fernandes is probably your best bet.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you can tolerate a crapload of sloppy playing, here's my guitar with the Fernandes in it. This is right after I stuck it in there, so the guitar isn't even set up and honestly I had no idea what to do with it, so this is the product of that!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Sustainiac makes a kit that I would say is equal to the fernandes. Not sure on availability or price though. Either one is good. I've got a fernandes in one guitar, and also a handful of custom ones that I built when I was really involved over at the Project Guitar massive DIY sustainer thread. (the one that ended up having 400+ pages and millions of views... don't try to read through it, it's a mess!)

One of my friends over there, the guy that initially started that thread, came up with a design superior to the commercial units out there, and you could fit it INSIDE a normal single coil pickup, and still use the pickup when it was off. (You can do that with the fernandes and I think the sustainiac too, but you are stuck with the tone of their neck pickup). His circuit was also much more interesting with what it could do -- he had on off switched and trim pots so you could blend the harmonic mode in, and change the intesity, etc. Unfortunately, he's been really busy with things and has not yet come out with the design commercially, so fernandes is probably your best bet.

on my seaches i discovered the project guitar thread...i started reading it then realised that it was gonna be a fruitless task...lol
    the guy you're talking about has posted stuff on a Telecaster site too, his design(s) do seem very interesting.
    i have seen the sustainiac but its not as widely available as the Fernandes unit so it looks like the FSK-401 is the way to go....I'll post updates both here and F.B. as work continues...but then, you already know that...lol

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hey Tom... sorry about the "inspiration"! The guitar you're talking about is a Wolfgang Special re-build I started back in February of '07. It was the first body I ever stripped and attempted to re-finish. That part of it was okay, but I tried to add a cream binding to the top edge--also my first time doing so. The work is generally sloppy, so just about anytime I've come back to that guitar I've ended up putting it down again for an extended period of time out of frustration with the quality of the work. Last week I decided "what the hell" and went to work on the damn thing. The finish is rough--nice at a distance, shoddy close up. It'll be a studio guitar anyway, so whatever. If I still hate it in a year or two I can get a new body for it (although the Wolfie body required a LOT of extra routing to accommodate the Sustainer parts). I haven't researched the Sustainer pickups much since I bought that package, but I recall settling on the FSK-401 as the best option after a lot of reading. (Eddie used the single coil version.)

Here it is (final assembly began last night):

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

actually Andrew your 'inspiration' came at the right time, i wanted to do something a little different with this guitar for my buddy, originally i was going to blank the 2 singlecoil cavities and just have a single humbucker at the bridge with a D-Tuna, but thats been done a million times before, i know a sustainer isn't revolutionary but its still a nice twist, plus the control cavity is plenty big enough to house the circuit board and battery, just the paint to decide on, i may even have a go at a swirl...in red, white and black!

also, i'm putting this guitar together for him for free so it may take a while to come to fruition as im having to fit it in around work, gigs and my other paid guitar projects!