5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Default Need some networking help!!!

Hey guys,

Can someone help me out with networking Vista and XP? I know there are some computer geeks on here that can help me with it. Im in a networking class right now but we havent gotten to this point yet and its confusing the hell outta me. So could someone help me?

Heres my situation...

Every time my wife needs to print something from her computer, she unplugs the USB cable of the printer from my computer and plugs it into hers. Sure its simple to do but the cord stretches from one side of the room to the other and its just a head-ache to plug it in between different computers. So im wanting to make it so that the printer can stay plugged into my computer but she is able to print stuff from her computer without having to unplug the USB cable. I know there is a way to do this but in all honesty, I dont understand how networking or printer sharing works yet.

And then there is this...

We have an external 300GB hard-drive that we use for our iTunes media. Same thing with the printer. Every time one of us goes to use it, we have to unplug it from one of the machines and it is just getting to the point where its painfully annoying. I was told by my teacher that I am able to set up the external hard-drive with sharing properties so that my wife can access it while it is still plugged into my computer.

So what I'm asking is for someone to explain to me how to do all of this in plain and simple english. If whoever decides to help me needs screenshots of mine and my wifes computer, I will happily oblige. Id rather have an expert walk me through it instead of me guessing on everything

Ive also attached some pictures of what my network looks like CURRENTLY and what it NEEDS TO BE

Currently

Needs to be
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Once, Cathedral, Poundcake
    Last Online

10.11.14 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To share your printer.
    1. Unplug your USB cable from the back of the Windows XP PC and plug the USB cable directly into your Windows Vista PC.

2. The Windows Vista drivers for your printer should be automatically loaded and your printer will be installed on your Windows Vista PC. If this was successful, skip right to step 3.
    If step 2 is not successful:

i. Download the Windows Vista printer driver for your printer from
    the manufacturer's website.

1. If your printer's manufacturer has not created a Vista driver
    yet, retry step 2.

ii. Install the driver on your Windows Vista PC. During
    installation, you'll be prompted to connect the printer to your PC.
    Choose the option to proceed with installation without connecting
    the printer.

3. After installation is complete, open the Printers icon in the Windows Vista
    Control Panel.
    4. Right-click on your printer that was just installed and choose Properties.
    5. Navigate to the Ports tab.
    6. Click Add Port, then select Local Port, then click New Port.
    7. For the Port Name, enter the exact network path and share name of your
    printer. (ex. - \\HOMEPC\Printer2)
    8. Click OK and make sure that this new port is selected with a check in the
    checkbox.
    9. Click Apply and then OK to close the printer properties.
    10. You should now be able to print from your Windows Vista PC to a shared
    printer located on your Windows XP PC.

To share a hard drive:
    If you have sharing turned on, you can find any shared drive on your network by entering the computer name and {drive letter}$ like this:
    \\COMPUTERNAME\C$

These are hidden in network browsing by default and are generally reserved for network administration. Best practices suggest creating a resource share specific to the drive or a folder on the drive.

Simple File Sharing
    If you use a network file sharing, be sure to have a router with a strong password and a firewall application protecting your network.

In Windows Explorer, choose Tools > Folder Options from the menu and click on the View tab. Scroll to the bottom and verify the checkbox next to Simple File Sharing is checked.

Workgroup Configuration
    You indicate that both computers are visible on the network, which should mean they are both part of the same workgroup. To verify Workgroup settings match, open the System Properties either by right-clicking on My Computer and choosing properties from the start menu or by using the Windows Key + Pause/Break on the keyboard. Click on the Computer Name tab for each computer and check the Workgroup name.

If the Workgroup name matches on both machines close system properties. If not, click on the Change button and enter the correct Workgroup name.

After making changes you will be prompted for a restart.

Sharing A Hard Drive
    From a security perspective, it's safer to share folders than an entire drive. In this case, since you're not sharing the drive containing the operating system files, it's not as crucial, but it's still a good practice to share folders rather than drives.

In Windows Explorer, right-click the hard drive you want to share and choose Properties from the right-click menu. Click on the Sharing tab. If your drive is not currently shared, the warning below will be visible.

Click on the warning message link to expose the sharing options. Assuming you already have your internet connection configured and firewall settings in place, you can choose the Just Enable File Sharing option (unless you already enabled file sharing previously) When you finish, your computer should be prepared to share files on the network. Depending on what's already configured on your network, you may need to disable the Guest account in the User Accounts Control panel for added security.

Check the box next to Share this folder on the network. In order to perform backups like you need, you also need to check the box next to Allow network users to change my files. From here you can also change the network name of the shared drive to make it easier to distinguish.

More Secure File Sharing
    The more secure method for sharing your drive is to require authentication across the network when making a connection. Rather than using simple sharing, you share your drive on a case-by-case basis and specify which users have access. This way you can disable the Guest account and only allow a user with a password to get in.

For this method of file sharing, open Tools > Folder Options from the Windows Explorer menu and click on the View tab. Scroll to the bottom and verify the checkbox next to Simple File Sharing is not checked.

Right-click the drive you want to share, click the radio button for Share this folder. Click on the New Share button and name your share.

Click on the Permissions button and check the Allow Full Control box (which automatically checks change). Click OK until you exit the sharing setup.

On the computer with the shared drive, create a user account with the same name and password as the account you login with on your other computer. By creating this user, when you login to your computer, you will also be authenticated to access the shared drive. For access settings to take effect you need to reboot the computer with the shared drive (and possibly your other computer as well).

Using this second method of security, you can create additional access control by providing read access for the drive, but only allowing changes to specific folders on the drive.

Hope this helps.
    Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, Cross-eyed mosquitoes and bowlegged ants; I'm here before you to stand behind you To tell you something I know nothing about... ~Sammy Hagar

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...LSe/weight.png

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

OLO said to turn it off and back on again a few times!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Stidham View Post
    To share your printer.
    1. Unplug your USB cable from the back of the Windows XP PC and plug the USB cable directly into your Windows Vista PC.

2. The Windows Vista drivers for your printer should be automatically loaded and your printer will be installed on your Windows Vista PC. If this was successful, skip right to step 3.
    If step 2 is not successful:

i. Download the Windows Vista printer driver for your printer from
    the manufacturer's website.

1. If your printer's manufacturer has not created a Vista driver
    yet, retry step 2.

ii. Install the driver on your Windows Vista PC. During
    installation, you'll be prompted to connect the printer to your PC.
    Choose the option to proceed with installation without connecting
    the printer.

3. After installation is complete, open the Printers icon in the Windows Vista
    Control Panel.
    4. Right-click on your printer that was just installed and choose Properties.
    5. Navigate to the Ports tab.
    6. Click Add Port, then select Local Port, then click New Port.
    7. For the Port Name, enter the exact network path and share name of your
    printer. (ex. - \\HOMEPC\Printer2)
    8. Click OK and make sure that this new port is selected with a check in the
    checkbox.
    9. Click Apply and then OK to close the printer properties.
    10. You should now be able to print from your Windows Vista PC to a shared
    printer located on your Windows XP PC.

To share a hard drive:
    If you have sharing turned on, you can find any shared drive on your network by entering the computer name and {drive letter}$ like this:
    \\COMPUTERNAME\C$

These are hidden in network browsing by default and are generally reserved for network administration. Best practices suggest creating a resource share specific to the drive or a folder on the drive.

Simple File Sharing
    If you use a network file sharing, be sure to have a router with a strong password and a firewall application protecting your network.

In Windows Explorer, choose Tools > Folder Options from the menu and click on the View tab. Scroll to the bottom and verify the checkbox next to Simple File Sharing is checked.

Workgroup Configuration
    You indicate that both computers are visible on the network, which should mean they are both part of the same workgroup. To verify Workgroup settings match, open the System Properties either by right-clicking on My Computer and choosing properties from the start menu or by using the Windows Key + Pause/Break on the keyboard. Click on the Computer Name tab for each computer and check the Workgroup name.

If the Workgroup name matches on both machines close system properties. If not, click on the Change button and enter the correct Workgroup name.

After making changes you will be prompted for a restart.

Sharing A Hard Drive
    From a security perspective, it's safer to share folders than an entire drive. In this case, since you're not sharing the drive containing the operating system files, it's not as crucial, but it's still a good practice to share folders rather than drives.

In Windows Explorer, right-click the hard drive you want to share and choose Properties from the right-click menu. Click on the Sharing tab. If your drive is not currently shared, the warning below will be visible.

Click on the warning message link to expose the sharing options. Assuming you already have your internet connection configured and firewall settings in place, you can choose the Just Enable File Sharing option (unless you already enabled file sharing previously) When you finish, your computer should be prepared to share files on the network. Depending on what's already configured on your network, you may need to disable the Guest account in the User Accounts Control panel for added security.

Check the box next to Share this folder on the network. In order to perform backups like you need, you also need to check the box next to Allow network users to change my files. From here you can also change the network name of the shared drive to make it easier to distinguish.

More Secure File Sharing
    The more secure method for sharing your drive is to require authentication across the network when making a connection. Rather than using simple sharing, you share your drive on a case-by-case basis and specify which users have access. This way you can disable the Guest account and only allow a user with a password to get in.

For this method of file sharing, open Tools > Folder Options from the Windows Explorer menu and click on the View tab. Scroll to the bottom and verify the checkbox next to Simple File Sharing is not checked.

Right-click the drive you want to share, click the radio button for Share this folder. Click on the New Share button and name your share.

Click on the Permissions button and check the Allow Full Control box (which automatically checks change). Click OK until you exit the sharing setup.

On the computer with the shared drive, create a user account with the same name and password as the account you login with on your other computer. By creating this user, when you login to your computer, you will also be authenticated to access the shared drive. For access settings to take effect you need to reboot the computer with the shared drive (and possibly your other computer as well).

Using this second method of security, you can create additional access control by providing read access for the drive, but only allowing changes to specific folders on the drive.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, I will give that a shot. I do have a question about step 1 though. My printer is already connected to MY computer full time. My wife has used my printer through HER computer by unplugging the USB cable. Does that mean that I have to do step 1 anyways or do it in reverse or what?

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

If you already have the driver installed on her machine you most likely won't need to worry about the driver issue, just create the share of the printer and you should be good.

When you create the share on the vista machine, it's available across your network. So on your XP machine you can use explorer to find it. Easiest way is Start -> Run. In the run box type in the name of the vista machine with the \\ symbols in front of it.

If your computer's name is VISTAHOME or whatever... You can find this in the control panel -> system.

So, back to the run box, type \\vistahome (or whatever it's called) and it will open all the shared resources on your vista computer, which the printer should be there. Then right click and connect.

If you share the USB drive it will appear there too, just connect to it.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Once, Cathedral, Poundcake
    Last Online

10.11.14 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Check out this from microsoft about file and printer sharing.

File and Printer sharing

And connect to a network printer in XP.

Connecting to a shared printer
    Last edited by Stidham; 08.31.10 at 08:53 AM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, Cross-eyed mosquitoes and bowlegged ants; I'm here before you to stand behind you To tell you something I know nothing about... ~Sammy Hagar

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...LSe/weight.png

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    OLO said to turn it off and back on again a few times!
    Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Stidham View Post
    Check out this from microsoft about file and printer sharing.

File and Printer sharing

And connect to a network printer in XP.

Connecting to a shared printer
    Ok, i looked at both sets of instructions and I followed all of them to the letter but for some reason, I still cant get my wifes XP to print to my printer. I got the printer to show up on her computer but I just cant get it to print. I checked her firewall settings and they looked good and I tried to see what mine were since I have Norton 360. Im thinkin that might be my problem.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Vista is funny with it's firewall sometimes. I might want to connect the printer to the XP PC and share it to the Vista PC.

Also, just to be sure - when sharing drives or printers from one PC to the other, the PC that the devices are physically connected to needs to be on when you're trying to use them from the other pc.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

...and yes, you might need to tell Norton not to block anything on your IP range (most likely 192.168.#.# - you can go on one of the pcs and do start/run - type "cmd" and hit "Enter" to get a command prompt, at which you'll type "ipconfig" and hit "Enter" - the first three sets of numbers of your IP + .255 are what you want to tell Norton not to block (i.e. 192.168.1.255)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

haha so I dont know what I did but now all of the sudden, I can print from my wifes XP computer to my printer through our network. I must have changed something somewhere but as long as it works, im happy.

Im still trying to figure out how to get the external hard drive to do the same thing. It shows up on my wifes XP but when i go to access it from her computer, it says "\\KYLES-COMPUTER\External Hard Drive is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied"

now im really stumped lol...

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

If you are sharing that from the Vista machine - on the Vista machine, go to "Computer" and right click on the drive letter that corresponds to the external drive and go to "Share..." (which you've probably already done). Go to "Advanced Sharing...", click on "Share this folder", then click the "Permissions" button. Make sure the "Permissions for Everyone" is set to Allow "Full Control"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    If you are sharing that from the Vista machine - on the Vista machine, go to "Computer" and right click on the drive letter that corresponds to the external drive and go to "Share..." (which you've probably already done). Go to "Advanced Sharing...", click on "Share this folder", then click the "Permissions" button. Make sure the "Permissions for Everyone" is set to Allow "Full Control"
    Done and Done but I still get the same thing.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

still could be something with Norton's firewall.

Have you tried attaching the external to her PC and sharing it to you?

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

...oh, and are you sure you have the correct share name when you attempt to connect to it?

If both of your pcs have the same workgroup name, you should be able to go into "My Network Places" on her PC and "view workgroup computers" - you should see your PC under that (sometimes takes a couple of minutes to come up), then you should be able to double click it and see what you have shared

or if you know the IP address for your pc, on hers, you can do start/run and in the "run" box type \\192.168.#.# (whatever your ip address is) and that should also bring up your PC and show what you have shared, allowing you to then map the drive.