Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 283 Times in 151 Posts

Default SX Seg2 (Ernie Ball Music Man Knockoff)

I'm lookin hard for an SX Seg2 guitar. These were sold on Rondos website at some point for pretty cheap. Apparently they're not available anymore in the U.S. Does anyone have any info on these? I'd love to get my hands on one

http://www.rondomusic.com/seg2.html

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

My advice would be to pass on it. I've bought a couple of cheap guitars from Rondo and they were both clunkers. I thought I could swap out parts and turn them into decent guitars but they both suffer from some kind of weird clanking noise. I suspect it's the truss rod in the neck but there could be something funky going on with the glue joints or something. One guitar only had a single locking floyd, a locking nut...the trem didn't lock. Totally useless. Better off saving up for 6 months and getting a good guitar, even a used EBMM would be a much better purchase than one of these. Don't waste your time and money.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:52 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I know it's 6 times the price, but if you want an Axis on a budget, you've got to go for the Sterling by Music Man AX40.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=580991

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I know it's 6 times the price, but if you want an Axis on a budget, you've got to go for the Sterling by Music Man AX40.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=580991
    I finally got to see one of those up close only last week. I have to tell you, I wasn't impressed at all. If I remember correclty, it was $600 Canadian, but I might be wrong. It was just awful. The photo flame on it looked downright nasty, kind of like when your printer starts to run out of ink. The fret work was subpar, the parts looked and felt really cheap. It was not a nice guitar at all. There was one of the new Kramers hanging right next to it, somewhere around $500, and it was actually a much nicer instrument...nothing really great by any means, but it seemed solid, good frets and neck, not a bad Floyd copy on it, really solid instrument and a real nice flame veneer top that looked quite good.

Before doing a live comparison I would have thought for sure that the Sterling EBMM would have killed that Kramer for build quality and components.

If your heart is set on an EBMM, save up and buy a nice used piece. I've learned the hard way over many years, cheap guitars will always be cheap guitars. A nice instrument is such a joy to play that you don't want to put them down, making you a better player in the long run. Start saving up, or look at more affordable models to start out.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

go for it! It's 90 bucks!

I got a friend who has gone on a chinese guitar buying spree lately and all but one are bad ass...the one is pretty shitty but hey, even if it's a clunker, you'll have a funny story to tell!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:52 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    I finally got to see one of those up close only last week. I have to tell you, I wasn't impressed at all.
    Bummer. I've seen/played two and they were both fine instruments. I guess there will always be some lemons in mid-range guitars...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 97 Posts

I played a Sterling Ax40 and it was shit. The one I played (GC Plano, TX) looked great, but it felt like crap and sounded like crap.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    I played a Sterling Ax40 and it was shit. The one I played (GC Plano, TX) looked great, but it felt like crap and sounded like crap.
    This is correst. I went into GC when these first came out. I only went in there to buy a cheaper guitar case. I can't stand that place.................anyway they had 2 amber ones. oddly enough I went back in there just the other day and they are still hanging there. They have been there along time. One of them is total crap. The other seems to be fine. They are $500 +

When they use tissue thin veeners like that they can look washed out.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

The SX Seg 2 went out of production four years ago due to lack of sales. I think Rondo music are the only website that sell them.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 97 Posts

Anyone ever bought anything from Rondos website ? Some of the guitar look pretty decent for the prices. I was curious if anyone tried one of these guitars.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Good Enough
    Last Online

Yeah, I've bought two. They were both junk. I thought I could swap out some parts and turn them into decent guitars but no dice. The single locking trem they put on is a joke, and both my guitars suffer from some weird clanking noise. I thought it was the crappy electronics but I switched out all that stuff and put in quality pickups, the noise was still there...I think it's the truss rods in the neck. Luckily both guitars didn't set me back much money, but still, it's money and time wasted. I think if you are looking for something you can tear apart and work on to improve your luthier skills, like ripping out the frets and trying to do your own re-fret, then it's worth the little bit of money it will cost you. If you are looking for a good guitar that you can actually use, then I'd look elsewhere.

I'm talking about the SX and Douglas guitars here, I haven't tried their Agile line.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Ah that's a shame. Out here in NZ an Axis will put me back $3500 and an EVH Wolfgang $5999. Simply not an option when the kiddies come first!

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

04.27.12 @ 07:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    Anyone ever bought anything from Rondos website ? Some of the guitar look pretty decent for the prices. I was curious if anyone tried one of these guitars.
    I've bought three guitars from them and have been very pleased with all of them. I got an AL-2500, an AL-2000, and an SX w/Floyd Rose that I turned into a Franky. Great guitars for the money. My AL-2000 is a tiger-eye and is gorgeous.

"Yeah, "Panama" is a pretty sexy song; I always thought that song should’ve been sung by a girl; now ya got Sammy Hagar. Any questions?"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 283 Times in 151 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamhlava View Post
    I've bought three guitars from them and have been very pleased with all of them. I got an AL-2500, an AL-2000, and an SX w/Floyd Rose that I turned into a Franky. Great guitars for the money. My AL-2000 is a tiger-eye and is gorgeous.

These look damn good to me

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

04.27.12 @ 07:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsitive View Post
    These look damn good to me
    The key to rondo's site is to go for the Agile guitars. The SX guitars are generally craptastic. Although my Franky turned out pretty decent after I upgraded the pickup to a Seymour Duncan and put the magical 1971 quarter on it...
    "Yeah, "Panama" is a pretty sexy song; I always thought that song should’ve been sung by a girl; now ya got Sammy Hagar. Any questions?"