Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.07.10 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dave's 1991 tour

Any posters here attend the A Little Ain't Enough tour? If so, what was it like? Despite the venues being half-full, how was Dave's band and performance? Did the tour last into the fall or was it pulled before that? And how would you compare the tour to Van Halen's 1998 tour, which was also poorly attended?

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:37 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

I didn't go but theres stuff up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...1991+live&aq=f
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Had tickets to go to the show in Irvine, CA but it was canceled.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:02 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

I went to the Detroit show for ALAE. It wasn't overly painful like many people described the Vegas Lounge act. It wasn't as bad as the YFLM bar tour either but it was a noticeable decline from Skyscraper and huge dropoff from the EAS shows I saw. I don't mean to quote Alex Van Halen here but "it wasn't 1984 anymore". Not having Sheehan or Vai really hurt him too. Dave tried hard but he wasn't aging very gracefully in '91.

I really enjoyed the VHIII shows. Gary aside, it was awesome to hear the other half of the catalog that was ignored for so long. I thought Eddie played extremely well at the 2 shows that I saw on that tour. Some of the boots of that tour are great. I think the Pittsburgh one is the best.

Last Online

05.27.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to see Dave on the Eat 'Em & Smile, Skyscraper and A Lil 'Aint Enough tours and here's my reviews.

Eat 'Em & Smile - The only thing that I didn't like was that Billy Sheehan's bass was overpowering everything. It was simply too loud.

Skyscraper - Not as outrageous but the sound was much better. The Bissonette brothers were really good but Steve Vai really kept this show alive and I think the band sounded the best out of the three concerts.

A Lil 'Aint Enough - Boring show. No Steve Vai either. Dave pulled out the inflateable microphone again while wearing the cowboy hat (rehashing what he had done in '87 on the Eat 'Em & Smile tour). I thought that Extreme and Cinderella were better than Dave that night and they opened the show!

Damn, I hope my memory is good. It's been almost 20 years since I've seen him last and I hope I'm not confusing the tours with one another!
    Last edited by HissingCobra; 08.28.10 at 06:22 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

I went and was really, really let down. I think Dave had 2 guitar players on that tour, which makes absolutely no sense.
    He had the small devils "peeing" on the audience form a ring in the middle of the venue. VH tunes sounded awful, even worse than the ones Sammy sang with VH. The band couldn't even nail HFT.

After that I swore off Dave and never bought any other solo Dave-related products.
    Last edited by Little Dreamer; 08.28.10 at 10:27 PM.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 18,128 Times in 8,952 Posts

That tour sucked.

The drop-off from Ed and Steve Vai to Joe Holmes and Rikki Rotchette was embarassingly evident.

No energy either from DLR. He sang pretty well, and he usually sounds pretty good on the Youtube vids you will find of that tour.

He was just a tired act at that point.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

I went to the show in Bristol, CT. I bought front row center tix that day for $30.00 each from a scalper outside the venue. Scorpions and Extreme opened which made the show worth while. I remember the little devils pissing on the crowd and for the first time realizing that when Dave goes into his schtick about fucking the guys girlfriend in the front row that he isn't even really talking to anyone in particular.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

I saw him in CT and it was good. I enjoyed the triple bill of DLR, Cinderella and Extreme.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I saw him in CT and it was good. I enjoyed the triple bill of DLR, Cinderella and Extreme.
    That's right, it was Cinderella not Scorpions. I did see them at the same venue though.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

After reading this I put the entire "A Little Ain't Enough" on my iPod, listened to three songs and quickly removed all but one song (Baby's On Fire) from my iPod. Apparently only Crazy from the Heat & EEAS are the only full releases of DLR's that still hold up for me.
    I like a few songs off the others with Hina being my favorite.

When he came to Cleveland on the EEAS tour it was within a week of the 5150 show, I chose to see DLR and so did more of the general public (in the Greater Cleveland area that is) at the time, his show was almost sold-out and Van Hagar's show wasn't. Van Hagar's show was also panned by the local music press, and the pundits quickly declared Roth the victor in the split (which continued with both VHS releases from each camp).

I didn't see the '91 tour at all, I don't even remember seeing the CD when it was first released, (I picked it up at a used shop a few years later).

Wasn't this the tour where he had the Devil statues peeing Jack on the crowd?
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I had tickets for the Houston show but it was cancelled.

Last Online

12.13.14 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave was ok for the show I saw, but I thought Extreme blew him away.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.29.16 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I saw the ALAE tour stop in NJ, at the venue then known as the Garden State Arts Center (now PNC); one of the last shows before the tour's cancellation.

It was a strange gig. The band opened with "You Really Got Me" and something was off with their playing right away. No exaggeration, I had no idea what song they were playing until the first chorus.

Then, several songs into the set, "Just a Gigolo" was aired. Again, something just wasn't right and Dave literally stopped the band during the first verse and chewed them out, punctuating his tirade with something along the lines of, "Can we play this right this time?" Not schtick...obvious frustration on DLR's part. Seemingly, the wheels had come off.

Somehow, as if by a small miracle, the whole mood and vibe changed with the next song, which was "Beautiful Girls" and the second half of the 75-minute show was great. As a fan, it was a relief, because the show really got off to a bad start.

Side notes in retrospect:
    It was late June and if memory serves me correctly, DLR and Cinderella were practically co-headliners at that point, but only in terms of set lengths, about 75 minutes each. I didn't see either openers, as I was only there to see Roth. Unlike other venues, this show had a strong turnout. Definitely an attendance drop off from his previous two solo tours in the area, bit still solid.

The setlist was essentially 2 songs from ALAE, most of Crazy from the Heat and a brief best of VH. If memory serves me correctly, there were 13 songs total.

Watching some of the old clips nowadays, it's obvious that this lineup was as cookie-cutter, paint by numbers hard rock as one could get at the time. No life or soul in their interpretations of VH and probably couldn't handle the Vai/Sheeehan material. I mean, they barely pulled off the Van Halen stuff, and in some cases didn't at all. I think the ALAE material was played well.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:43 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

I could never bring myself to see solo Dave although I thought hard about it for EEAS. I can't see it getting any better after that.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.