Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

Default Bassist Jeff Berlin turned down VH.

I know this is old news but it's in a new article with bassist Jeff Berlin.
    This would have been in 1982 right?

Jeff Berlin’s resume reads like the who’s who of the higher echelon of music artists. Jeff Berlin was even asked to join Van Halen, an invitation that he actually turned down. “Eddie Van Halen was a fan of the band that I played in with Bill Bruford,” Berlin recalls. “We met and started to hang out and jam together. He was a sweet terrific guy. One day he saw me play a gig with my group and then asked me if I would like to join Van Halen. After this, we rehearsed at David Lee Roth’s house a couple of times. Ultimately, I said no to his gracious offer because when you join a band, you join the entirety of it, the life philosophy of its members and also the habits that they may be involved with. I felt that, in terms of activities and attitudes, I didn’t mesh with their vision of things. I didn’t wish to be mercenary and just take the job for money because it wouldn’t be fair to the band members. So, I just said no to the offer.”

http://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2010...ease-new-cd-2/
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

I never knew that. Interesting.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Jesus......why was Mike even in the band? Seems like Ed was in a constant state of trying to get rid of him.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:30 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

It would seem the other 3 members of the band wanted Mike out. I wonder why that is?
    Wolfie is not Mike, but he's more than ok.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/1/07- Philadelphia, PA
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

05/13/08- Meadowlands, NJ II!!!!!

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Jeff Berlin is a class act.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Jesus......why was Mike even in the band? Seems like Ed was in a constant state of trying to get rid of him.
    HEAR HEAR! I just don't understand why Mike didn't pull up stumps and sail outta there a long time ago.

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZORBA5150 View Post
    It would seem the other 3 members of the band wanted Mike out. I wonder why that is?
    Because he's normal and doesn't have chronic asshole tendencies?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    LOL!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    HEAR HEAR! I just don't understand why Mike didn't pull up stumps and sail outta there a long time ago.
    Umm...because the gig gave him the rock stars life and made him a millionaire for doing what he loves?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:08 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Mike's a good guy, yadda yadda, but let's face facts. He never had anywhere to go but down if he left Van Halen at *any* point in his or their career.

It's no secret and it wasn't back around 1980 that Eddie was actively seeking to replace Mike - with Jeff Berlin, with Billy Sheehan and and no doubt a few other candidates. Eddie constantly complained in music mag interviews about how tough it was getting an ideal "tone" from Mike, having him switch playing between fingers and using a pic, trying different rigs and basses, different mic'ing and recording options, especially through the '79 ' 82 recording sessions for those respective albums. Eddie also bitched about Mike basically contributing zero to the songwriting process. And you have to admit, what exactly *did* Mike come up with in nearly 20 years of being in VH? Has he ever taken credit for a riff, a lyric, anything beyond playing his instrument and doing backup vox?

Mike isn't and wasn't a dummy. He knew the score. Yet he stuck with the band despite the possibility of being replaced hanging over his head probably most of his time in the band - certainly since 1980, despite eventually getting his royalties and equal songwriting credits cut and always being low man on the totem pole. I can imagine he took a *lot* of shit through his tenure in VH.

But let's not confuse doing and taking anything and everything to keep your job with being a swell guy.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

So, I wonder how much - and when - Mike knew about Ed seeking to replace him with Jeff Berlin/Billy Sheehan/Greg Lake/The Bass Player From The Wonders/etc.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Who cares what Eddie thinks of Mike through the years? Isn't it clear by now, who the main problem for everyone in the band was?
    Band has problems, it's Roth's fault, he quits, Eddie spends next 11 years claiming he was the devil.
    Hire Sammy, went from album after album of greatness, to 4 albums in 11 years.
    Eddie fires Sammy in 96, says he's now the devil, has no work ethic, etc.

Hires Gary, one album, one tour, VH is finished.

During the same time, Sammy puts out album after album, tours constantly, and remains somewhat relevant on the classic rock scene. (not bad for not having a work ethic, huh?)

Roth puts out 2 albums to VH's VH3, and tours constantly. VH does nothing.

EDDIE is the one who was worried about Mikey's tone/gear/etc. It wasn't the tone,...it was Donn Landee. He's the one who buried the bass in the mix where you couldn't hear it. Who remembers So This Is Love? Starts off with the bass pumping, and you can hear him turn it down. Sounded pretty good before that.

Mike's contributions? What....isn't singing backup and playing bass enough? If he had presented any song or arrangement ideas, would anyone have listened in the first place?

My guess is, he probably tried to contribute at first, then realized Eddie was going to micro-manage the music, so he eventually just gave up and played whatever Eddie told him to.
    That's a guess, though.....we don't really know if he came up with his own bass lines in the early days or not. I've never seen where anyone asked Mike that question....what exactly did he contribute to the songwriting process?

From all accounts of Chickenfoot, Mike has come up with quite a bit of the bass lines, from scratch....Joe has even stated that while writing, he'd listen to what Mike was playing and say "why didn't I ever hear THAT on a VH record?".
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 AM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

There's a lot of playing on the CF CD that Mike did that you never heard on any VH disc. Gee I wonder why.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 AM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    Mike's a good guy, yadda yadda, but let's face facts. He never had anywhere to go but down if he left Van Halen at *any* point in his or their career.
    As would anyone in that situation, I don't care who it is. Look at the nosedive Dave's career took.

It's no secret and it wasn't back around 1980 that Eddie was actively seeking to replace Mike - with Jeff Berlin, with Billy Sheehan and and no doubt a few other candidates. Eddie constantly complained in music mag interviews about how tough it was getting an ideal "tone" from Mike, having him switch playing between fingers and using a pic, trying different rigs and basses, different mic'ing and recording options, especially through the '79 ' 82 recording sessions for those respective albums. Eddie also bitched about Mike basically contributing zero to the songwriting process. And you have to admit, what exactly *did* Mike come up with in nearly 20 years of being in VH? Has he ever taken credit for a riff, a lyric, anything beyond playing his instrument and doing backup vox?
    Mike was in VH for 30 years first of all.

And who cares what he came up with? What in every band, EVERY member comes up with songs and lyrics? So because he didn't, therefore his contributions should simply be discounted? Come on. And NONE of us know ANYTHING behind the scenes with this band, and if you actually take everything Ed says at face value...uh wow. That guy has contradicted himself so many times in the last 15 years, you couldn't count it on both hands.

Yeah he played and sang and was the glue of the band...what a fucking crime. If only he wrote songs, then he'd be worth something.

How many fucking songs did Charlie Watts write with the Stones? What did Ringo write in the Beatles that wasn't total shit? How many great songs has Adam Clayton of U2 contributed? How many songs did John Bonham write? How about Cliff Williams of ACDC? What's his prolific writing history?

Mike isn't and wasn't a dummy. He knew the score. Yet he stuck with the band despite the possibility of being replaced hanging over his head probably most of his time in the band - certainly since 1980, despite eventually getting his royalties and equal songwriting credits cut and always being low man on the totem pole. I can imagine he took a *lot* of shit through his tenure in VH.
    What's funny is he has taken more shit after his tenure. He's less appreciated now than he ever was. A lot of people here sit and discredit him more than ever now. I just don't know how you go to those shows in 2007, and walk away and say, "Wow a much better show without Mike." And I don't believe ANYONE here who went thinks that, and if you do, then you're not much of a Van Halen fan. So that's why I don't get the constant negativity about Mike's tenure in VH. It's really bizarre.

Now we're left with Wolfgang Van Halen on bass...what a wonderful consolation prize.

Mike half dead is a better bass player and singer than Wolfgang...sorry Wolfie fans.

But let's not confuse doing and taking anything and everything to keep your job with being a swell guy.
    Too bad he was.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    There's a lot of playing on the CF CD that Mike did that you never heard on any VH disc. Gee I wonder why.
    indeedy.